Luck? Faith?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice buck Encore but I will tell you this and you can believe it or not. I do not believe in luck or coincidence. Everything that happens is according to God's will. You deer is proof. Its the same with the buck I shot this year in archery season. I got up well before light and let my 2 labs out to go do their thing before getting dressed to go hunting. It was in the low 20s and as I was sipping on my coffee waiting for my girls to come back in I thought to myself "this is crazy - I'm going back to bed" . So when the girls came in that's what I did. I laid there tossing and turning and it was already daybreak. Something (and I believe it was the Holy Spirit) told me to get up and go hunting. So I got out of bed grabbed by still warm coffee and went down to the man cave to get dressed. I was going to take the ATV and hunt one area but the same voice said to take my truck and go to one of my other stands. By this time it was 6:55 and just legal shooting time. I parked my truck and quietly hurried to my stand. I was up in the stand and situated by about 7:10. At 7:20 this old boy walked right under my stand! Luck? Coincidence? Nope - all God's doing.
BTW I like how you center punched that tree! LOL
20221031_125837.jpg

Last edited:
I think more of us have killed them cedar deer than will admit. You’re far from alone.
My question is… what did yours field dress at? 🤣
Been there done that. Beautiful deer bud. Congratulations!

I think more of us have killed them cedar deer than will admit. You’re far from alone.
My question is… what did yours field dress at? 🤣
Been there done that. Beautiful deer bud. Congratulations!
I agree. I don't mind including my mistakes/misfortunes LOL

He might have went 100/120 dressed. We always have ours processed with just backstraps and the rest in burger. The wife mixes it and packages is according to what meal it may be used in/with.

I did that once predator calling. I had the coyote dead to rights, about 15 yards or so. I was shooting a 12 ga, # ‘T’ Remington HD loads. I let the coyote have it & during the final moments a small tree was there that I didn’t notice. This tree absorbed the shotgun blast, close to center.

The coyote quickly exited, unscathed. It took a good while to forget about that event.

That animal has some heft to it Bronco. Nice work! Can't say I care for that rack but bone is bone. Any weight estimate on that guy?

That animal has some heft to it Bronco. Nice work! Can't say I care for that rack but bone is bone. Any weight estimate on that guy?
I don't want to hijack the ops thread but my buck was really old and on his downhill slide. In my 55+ years of hunting deer here in PA and harvesting a buck in all but a handfull of years this is my 2nd legitimate 200+ pound buck I've taken and both with archery gear during the rut. I couldn't get him off the ground with my block and tackle so I had to use my ATV to get him up then another rope to keep him there. I'm pretty sure he may have sported more points in years past but maybe not. Not all buck grow 8 or more points at maturity. Some just don't have the genetics.

Congratulations!
My daughter killed a deer once and when I got looking at it there were 3 holes in it, 2 small ones in the shoulder and a larger one in the neck. I figured the bullet must’ve hit something but it seemed pretty open at the time. I went back a few days later and found where she’d hit the deer, I got down low and looked back to where we were sitting and sure enough, there was a 2” alder with a bullet hole through it. I cut it down and saved it for her.
The bigger hole in the neck was from the jacket that was flattened like a ninja throwing star, it only got in about an inch but it sliced a main artery in the neck.

Well sir, I believe in faith but I don't believe in luck. Before I retired I had a sign over my desk (one of several) that read - LUCK: THAT POINT IN TIME WHEN PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY COME TOGETHER.

Back