Lyman 457121PH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder

Reaction score
This was the first mold I purchased years back for my White .451 Super Safari. It is one of my least expensive molds, I bought it used on ebay and it turned out great. They shoot very accurately for me. The only trouble I have is sometimes they don't drop out of the mold very easily, I wonder if the grease grooves have a bit too sharp of an angle. Here are some old pics, for someone who wants a great bullet without breaking the bank, I recommend this mold.

I have that one as well, That is a DARN GOOD Mold Art!! They call it The Lyman Whitworth 475 Grain, mine come in at 480 Grains, probably 485 Pure lead. This reminds me, i need to get this Mold Back out :lewis:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010237342

Straight from the mold, I believe 1-40 Alloy here? Pure lead will be Slightly Heavier
IukTRSbm.jpg

UQmrBsjm.jpg

As for the bullets Sticking, Keep yourself a Wooden Dowel/Bat handy to Hit the Mold Handle Nut, I give the Handle Nut a Good HARD SMACK then i open my Mold, The Bullets will Fall on their own 99% of the Time, if they stick? i Keep the Mold open, and simply Tap Tap Tap on the Handle Nut until the Bullet Drops. I hold my Mold just barely above a Towel, so the Bullet doesn’t fall far, They can be damaged EASILY if allowed to Fall to Far when SUPER HOT

Hit right here, NEVER Hit the Mold! ONLY this Handle Nut
Y9Mnvdwl.jpg

SMACK the Mold Handle Nut With Something like this, A Small Sprue Bat, Find yourself a Nice piece of HARD Durable Wood, and Make one :lewis:
sW5Rbpyl.jpg

Mine in pure lead come out at 493 grains.

I bet mine will be in the 490 Range as well with Pure Lead :lewis: These Larger bullets ad up FAST (Meaning the Difference in Weight from an Alloy, to Pure Lead)

That is pretty much what I do is rap the nut with a piece of wood. Problem is it takes me out of that all important rhythm that keeps my bullets consistent. It's the only mold that i have a problem with the bullets wanting to stick. Still better than having "real" problems.

Could be the grease grooves. You have a LOT of them. Does it always stick to the same side? If not try "smoking" it. If it's the one side may be a tiny burr. Look it over with a good lighted magniying glass.This is what I use at my work bench.
15762857960795808303770284119676.jpg $20 at a pawn shop

I had the same issue with my mold as well, and like Lew used a wooden hatchet handle to tap the mold handles at the nut where Lew indicated. They shot just great out of my .451 White M98 and M97. But, I had my 465gr Accurate Mold made and stoped using the Lyman mold and eventually gave it to a fellow DWB. Now, I'm casting mostly the 330gr Gould HP bullets from Lymans mold.

This thread broke my mold out of Jail :lewis: I Casted up a Few from PURE LEAD to test in my Rice 1:20 Twist. These Bullets measure 1.228 on the Dot

My Mold Casts a little Lighter than Yours Art, I had The Mold Casting To it’s TIP TOP Potential here, These Bullets are Super SHARP :lewis: 483.5 is what my Mold Casts PURE Lead. Sized to 451.5 Here, I will “Land Ride” Shoot these Through my Rice, they will need a quick Trip Through my .449, I will Hand Lube them first, then Size
8d2BN7Xl.jpg

8VYS9VHm.jpg

I had a weak moment for a fellow DWB especially being I liked my 465gr mold so much better. Not that my 465gr shot any better I just like the wider metplat better on my 465gr bullet.

That's some great shooting Ed. I haven't done any scientific testing but something tells me that in soft lead this bullet would perform quite well on most four legged deer.

That is my all time favorite mold for .45 cal muzzleloaders. I even hollow pointed one for deer hunting and it flat knocks the starch out of them.

Art my one grandson harvested his first Doe with that bullet. He shot it head on and we found the bullet just under the skin between her rear legs.

I’ve often thought of getting another mold or one like it and have a hollow point drilled into it. I know Doc also had high praise for a 465 or 475 HP bullet.

Art my one grandson harvested his first Doe with that bullet. He shot it head on and we found the bullet just under the skin between her rear legs.

I’ve often thought of getting another mold or one like it and have a hollow point drilled into it. I know Doc also had high praise for a 465 or 475 HP bullet.

Attachments

• 52914738_1997777923675139_296864982698557440_o.jpg
    52914738_1997777923675139_296864982698557440_o.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back