Lyman 457193

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Lyman 457193, Anyone try these sized down to .451-.452 in a fast twist .45 Cal? Looks like another darn good bullet. It says 405 Grain FN, These should be lighter than 405 with my 40:1 Alloy? I am happy that they are a bit heavier, Diameter is .457 on the Dot, And length is 1.050

IjZjtVH.jpg

Should be plenty to play around with
tufK69i.jpg

And weight, these came out 420-421 Grains
yiXD65A.jpg

I believe it's the Gould mold with 1 additional groove/band.
I would think it's another good one, 45 cal and I were discussing 400gr bullets in in-lines at Oak Ridge - how funny.

I've shot literally 100s of that bullet out of 1-28 twist 45 Caliber Omega and have harvested several deer with it. My typical target pattern was 2" at 100 yards, probably could do better but I never let barrel cool down just 3 fast shots.

Saxtonyoung said:
I've shot literally 100s of that bullet out of 1-28 twist 45 Caliber Omega and have harvested several deer with it. My typical target pattern was 2" at 100 yards, probably could do better but I never let barrel cool down just 3 fast shots.

Sax, i thought i had read somewhere where you spoke of this mold? I couldn’t resist getting it, i am a .45 Bullet Mold JUNKY! :lol: I didn’t think it would pour this heavy? But i am actually glad it does! It fills a Gap in my .45 Bullet lineup. I like a steel mold, And So far i have had good luck with Lyman molds, This one casted nice sharp bullets in just a few minutes. I use brake cleaner to clean a new mold, Then air hose it bone dry, Dip the corner of the mold in the molten Alloy for a minute or so, I can usually have a Brand new mold running perfect in no time.

If this bullet shoots as well as i am hoping for, i will use this one for 500 yard long Range fun in my 1:30 Twist Hotrod Hawken instead of the BACO 444-400s

Mine also cast at 420 grains. When I was shooting it I was using 100 grains of T7 with T7 209 primers with bullets sized to .450 with no buffer between it and the powder. I'm sure you can improve on accuracy with the methods you have established with other GG bullets.

Saxtonyoung said:
Mine also cast at 420 grains. When I was shooting it I was using 100 grains of T7 with T7 209 primers with bullets sized to .450 with no buffer between it and the powder. I'm sure you can improve on accuracy with the methods you have established with other GG bullets.

Sax, Do you stil own this mold and shoot this bullet? I am gonna try a 5 shot 100 yard Group with these this morning, I wanted to try them the same day i poured em! :lol: It’s been Typical Spring weather here, Rain, and more Rain, This morning it’s crystal clear and Freezing, Not suppose to rain til this evening.

52Bore said:
I would think it's another good one, 45 cal and I were discussing 400gr bullets in in-lines at Oak Ridge - how funny.

Rick, Its definitely different, Here it is beside Ed’s Gould

UQnaVhv.jpg

Actually this bullet was used in Springfield carbine for Cavarly and the 500 grn. was used by Infrantry in the Springfield 45-70

My rifle don’t like this one for whatever reason? I shot 6 times total, my first fouler shot was in a Sandbank by itself, i swabbed and started my 5 shot Group, 4-1/2” Group from farthest 2 holes. This was shot from the same 103 yards, Same 70 Weight Grains of Swiss 3F, .060 Vege wad on the powder, then a .45 Wool on top. Pretty sure this is the worst i have ever shot this little 1:30 twist Hawken? This nipple has a MOUNTAIN of shots through it, I’m gonna replace it, then go to just an oversize Wool felt wad (No Vege on the powder) see if it makes a difference?

The Group would have been just under 2 inches if it weren’t for the Lowest shot.

k8RNki7.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Try more speed. 1.050" is long for a 1-30.

GM54, I agree, i will push them harder my next outing, new nipple, and just an oversize wool wad, with probably 85 Grains or so of Swiss 2F instead of my old standard 70 Grains of 3F, I stil think this bullet will shoot well, or at least i have high hopes in it! The crazy thing is this little 1:30 twist Hawken shot my new HUGE BACO .453 545 Grain bullet WAY better than this 420? I was using 85 Grains of Swiss 2F with the Big BACO

Lewis,
I don't have the mold of the Omega anymore. As was mentioned you may need to push it harder, this is why I used as powder as I did. I also found that because it was being pushed so hard that it performed better when it was poured with wheel weights which has a brinell hardness of approximately 12.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lewis,
I don't have the mold of the Omega anymore. As was mentioned you may need to push it harder, this is why I used as powder as I did. I also found that because it was being pushed so hard that it performed better when it was poured with wheel weights which has a brinell hardness of approximately 12.

I’m ready for round 2 with this bullet! My Alloy is 8.5-9 Brinell, I replaced my nipple with a Brand new Treso/Ampco, i just checked my old nipple which has been shot a TON (200 shots would be a very fair estimate) and this darn flash hole is stil .030 it started out at .028, These Treso/Ampco’s are SERIOUSLY tough nipples! This old nipple has had a steady diet of 70 Grains Swiss 3F, and up to 85 Grains of Swiss 2F and nothing but Conicals, from 300 Grains up to 545 Grains. I don’t believe this nipple was the problem this morning

If weather permits tomorrow morning i am gonna hit these with 85-90 Grains of Swiss 2F, with only an oversize .50 Cal 1/8” Wool felt Wad. This should help me narrow things down

This should make the Little Hawken ‘Bark’ and get these 420 Grain bullets scootin right along :D

1Myclw7.jpg

Ready for tomorrow morning if it ain’t Peeing the Rain like it is now, This morning was nice and clear, it was freezing cold, but Calm n Clear, Never know what Spring Time weather is gonna do? Might even snow :shock:

Definitely better! I did end up using a .060 Vege Wad on the Powder (I’ve had to good a luck with this Combo to give up on it) I then seated an oversize 1/8” .50 Cal Wool OP Wad on top of the Vege Card, And the Charge was the 90 Weight Grains of Swiss 2F in the above picture.

My first 3 shots, I am confident the low shot was me

BS4nCNf.jpg

I then shot my last 2 shots, as you can see that low shot isn’t where the Gun grouped, i screwed that 1 up. All in all i am happy with it, the 4 shot Group would have measured just slightly over 2” if you minus the .452 bullet Diameter, Not bad for open sights and a true 100 yards, Definitely not my best, but also not my worst! This bullet is VERY workable, i would deer hunt with it without any hesitation :yeah:

Nqlbdmd.jpg

No cool down period between shots, 3 n 2 I obviously did take the time to jog up and look at the first 3, snap a picture and get back to my gun, so there was a tiny break between the first 3 and my last 2. I actually shot this Group in Record time before the Rain got me, The barrel was definitely Warm. It is funny if you notice my last 2 shots were higher, indicator of a barrel heating up? I’m not making any excuses, i have no proof that a little heat even effects these old Sidelock Muzzleloaders, maybe, maybe not? I know it does with Centerfire, especially a non floated barrel

Harleysboss said:
Time for a sight adjustment. Lets work on that windage a little :poke: Much better. How was that 90grn charge?

She barked like a Coon Hound treed!! :lol: It’s actually a nice load to shoot, Where i really begin to notice recoil is in my Stainless .50 with a 450-460 Grain bullet and 95 Grains of Swiss 2F, Stil not horrible, but VERY noticeable, that load is running 1,450 FPS Average

2 years ago I had been shooting my little 6.5 Creedmoor a BUNCH during load development, Data for my Turrets, And just plain Fun shootin. I had gotten so use to hardly any recoil that i really didn’t think much about it, My dad and i shot our Muzzleloaders together 1 day, i grabbed my Stainless 50 Cal, 450-460 Grain Bullets and my pre weighed 95 Grain Charges, my first shot I didn’t give it ANY thought? Just barely had it against my shoulder (like it was my little Creedmoor) I Set the Trigger, and Squeezed it off, That thing Knocked the living daylights out of me!! :lol: My thumb was straight forward against the Peep on the Tang, Talk about Jammed, it did it good! My Dad said (“MAN that thing KICKS like a friggin Mule!”) I tried to act like it was an everyday thing! :lol: I had totally spaced the Recoil off and acted like it was my little Creedmoor! This Ole Stainless .50 Jumped right up and said ‘HELLO’ :lol: That actually messed with me for a little while, I had to work out a Flinch i picked up!

Do you think either of these s ized down to .451 would work for short range in a volunteer rifle?

Back