• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Lyman 57sml target elevation knob

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can’t seem to find them anywhere. If anyone has a target knob that will fit the lyman 57 sight and wouldn’t mind parting ways with it. Let me know

Attachments

• 10D02CDB-604B-4CA1-B79C-DB97991A6E0F.jpeg
    10D02CDB-604B-4CA1-B79C-DB97991A6E0F.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 42
The only place that I ever knew that sold them was Brownells. Which, unfortunately shows the message of no longer being deliverable by the factory. Windage knobs are in stock. But, hardly anyone wants the windage knob, as compared to the elevation knob.

Good luck finding one, if the factory is not making them/delivering them.

Just another sad day for a once great company.

If I dont find one soon I may just modify the existing knob. Maybe file in some notches around the perimeter for grip. Or I could grind a flat spot on top and drill and tap for a larger diameter knob. Anyone have any other ideas?

If I dont find one soon I may just modify the existing knob. Maybe file in some notches around the perimeter for grip. Or I could grind a flat spot on top and drill and tap for a larger diameter knob. Anyone have any other ideas?
Maybe take a small bit of steel, solder it into the slot, file it down until it just stands proud of the head of the screw. Like a very small wing nut.

@bstorric Did you Shim that Lyman 57? It looks like it’s tilted to the side, maybe just how i am seeing the picture?

Did you follow this?
T7EA3ki.jpg

I shim the base like this to take out forward lean
5kuwC0P.jpg

This is before i shimmed to show the forward lean
HV8ocUQ.jpg

And here is after, this is what you want :lewis:
B8Rzfc2.jpg

This is what you want it to look like, this is after the bottom corner is ground off. Is the bottom of your sight base contacting the Wood?
GngkrtM.jpg

I filled down the high shoulder. I took that pic to send to a buddy and realized shortly after it was not square. I fixed that, it’s now square…unlike in the picture

I filled down the high shoulder. I took that pic to send to a buddy and realized shortly after it was not square. I fixed that, it’s now square (as shone in this pickture). Still need to shim it though to get it perpendicular to the barrel channel. Didn’t really thing about it until you attached those pictures. I’ll get some shim stock from work and put it under front foot (beauty of working in heavy industry, always tools and such to borrow)

Attachments

• 9EAC2FDE-F9E2-49A0-9010-1DBCD04F1718.jpeg
    9EAC2FDE-F9E2-49A0-9010-1DBCD04F1718.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Also, sent out my .50 barrel to Bob Hoyt. Having him put 1:28 TR in it. Seems like a popular TR for .50s. I just plan on shooting average size projectiles out of it. I have probably $100 worth of store bought Bullets for it. I went through every mass produced projectile trying to find something that shot a better group than a pie plate at 75yds. Not much luck with the stock barrel TR. I know Lewis has had some luck with his cast Bullets. I ordered some from bullshops and they shot the best out of everything. (Probably softball sized group at 50) but then out to 100 they where in about a 10 inch circle. Not good enough for me. So to Bob Hoyt she went. Hopefully I’ll be able to shoot must of the sabots/Powerbelts,Hornady Great Plains, federal boreloks, etc that I’ve accumulated. Shirley something will shoot decent. Also still have 30-40 bullshops Bullets left that I know will shoot decent

I think the "bit of steel" idea is a good idea, but for your purposes soldering it is overkill. I'd get it shaped to what you want through trial and error, then clean it up and JB Weld it in place.

I think the "bit of steel" idea is a good idea, but for your purposes soldering it is overkill. I'd get it shaped to what you want through trial and error, then clean it up and JB Weld it in place.
I only mention solder because I picked up a tube of solder-it (brand name) and I can now solder with my heat gun and a bbq lighter… much stronger than jb weld.

Latest posts

Back