Lyman and Ideal Mold Descriptions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re gonna hollow point it, no need for the round nose. A small meplat on the cavity cut will just be removed and if you want to cast solids, you’ll need a pin with the round nose profile cut into the end of the pin, else it’s gonna end up a meplat. Unless I’m missing sumpin

If you’re gonna hollow point it, no need for the round nose. A small meplat on the cavity cut will just be removed and if you want to cast solids, you’ll need a pin with the round nose profile cut into the end of the pin, else it’s gonna end up a meplat. Unless I’m missing sumpin
Square hp Stacy . So it tears in quarters like an x-bullet nose , deep . If that doesnt work theres always plan b to force it open mechanically . One way or another its gonna open . I Promise you that !!! I will keep that bc too !!!

Last edited:
I thought of doing a hex hollow point, still might. Too much work right now to spend a lot of time in the shop.

Ive been looking Lewis !!! Im gonna send it to have a hp pin made for it too so it works like a Barnes x-bullet . Trying to find a used one to keep costs down with having it hp pinned too . That aughta power slam a few nice bucks around here !!! Id bet extend my range a good ways while doing just that too !!! I found those bc 435 figures at 4 am and havent been able to settle down scince !!!!!!! Wow !!!!!!!! Mighty Whitey is gonna be BAD !!!! With a 300 bc i only loose about 200fps over 200 yds now . That Snover should give that 410 QUITE a boost over the flat nosed jobs !!! The ole Super 91 just keeps gettin better and better !!! GOTTA find that mold !!!
I just scaled that bullet from the picture on Lyman’s website using my calipers and a calculator. Some basic math and I got it to .456 diameter. I’m gonna cut it in a .457 cavity and hope for a .451-.452 drop. If I get the geometry correct, it should weigh 445ish grains. I think it will excel in my S91!!!! That’s the bullet going into this block. First bullet mould I’ve made from 65-45-12 ductile iron! This is a very rough sketch and obviously not to scale but, the dimensions should be pretty close.

Attachments

• 6FA38AF9-270B-4139-8390-CAC0EE8BF63F.jpeg
    6FA38AF9-270B-4139-8390-CAC0EE8BF63F.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C820AA53-E3E7-4561-9C23-BF9BC3FFC607.jpeg
    C820AA53-E3E7-4561-9C23-BF9BC3FFC607.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 6
I just scaled that bullet from the picture on Lyman’s website using my calipers and a calculator. Some basic math and I got it to .456 diameter. I’m gonna cut it in a .457 cavity and hope for a .451-.452 drop. If I get the geometry correct, it should weigh 445ish grains. I think it will excel in my S91!!!! That’s the bullet going into this block. First bullet mould I’ve made from 65-45-12 ductile iron! This is a very rough sketch and obviously not to scale but, the dimensions should be pretty close.
Excellent Stacy !!! I hope it works out beautifull for us both !!!

Back