Lyman dovetail sights.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was thinking about changing the sights on one of my rifles to a set of these. I have a Mossberg slug barrel with pretty much the same thing on it.
Screenshot_20210713-181750_Chrome.jpg

What do you like about them?
Well, like I mentioned, I have similar on a shotgun barrel. I can see that front sight pretty good compared to the thin brass blade front sight that's on my rifle now
I also was looking at the fiber optic sights that Lyman has for a European dovetail slot.
I'm basically just looking for some ideas for an upgrade.

Pretty much the sight picture that is on America's favorite plinker the 10/22. That sight should work fine for most purposes. Adjustments are probably a PIA but once zeroed you should be good to go.

Based on some of the reviews and a conversation with someone who installed them on a rifle, I'm gonna scrap the idea. Seems that the rear sight fits good but the front sight doesn't always fit correctly. It's a bit undersized for the dovetail slot. Some people have to glue it in place.

Based on some of the reviews and a conversation with someone who installed them on a rifle, I'm gonna scrap the idea. Seems that the rear sight fits good but the front sight doesn't always fit correctly. It's a bit undersized for the dovetail slot. Some people have to glue it in place.
A small shim made of beverage can aluminum under the front sight should tighten it up in the dovetail. Sometimes, if the fit is only slightly loose, you can use tin foil under the sight for a tight fit.

I used to like that sight back when i could see better. It was on both my Mossbergs and all my 10/22s. But now I've replaced them with scopes.
Shimming that front is what i would suggest, too.

Some sights come slightly oversized and need to be fitted by filing one side. Barrel steel is not hard and can be moved with a flat piece of hardened steel to tighten a dovetail. It doesn't take much and if your carefull, doesn't mar your barrel. Just make sure the punch surface is polished smooth.

Latest posts

Back