Lyman Great Plains .54 Percussion at Midway USA!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I saw their ad. The deer stalker is even cheaper. A lot of guys like the older models, better quality than what they have today.
Not that the new ones are junk or anything.

I bought a Deer Stalker .54 last year but I did not get a deer with it.
I tried to like the FO sights but my old eyes saw dots everywhere.
I wanted to get a dovetail cut in the barrel as I find the Marbles Bullseye sight to be good for my old and weak eyes but never got around to it.
I had a Lyman from another gun I had sold so I installed it. It works well but kind of klunky looking!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532

I bought a Deer Stalker .54 last year but I did not get a deer with it.
I tried to like the FO sights but my old eyes saw dots everywhere.
I wanted to get a dovetail cut in the barrel as I find the Marbles Bullseye sight to be good for my old and weak eyes but never got around to it.
I had a Lyman from another gun I had sold so I installed it. It works well but kind of klunky looking!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532
That looks like a nice sight.

Just how cheap is it? The reason I ask is cause I just bought a TC Renegade 54 cal. tonight. It was brand new and never been shot. It came with the box. I got it for $300 with tax. I feel that I should not ever fire it. The guns shop said he knew the guy who used it for a trade in and won it in a raffle. I have the box with the VHS video still in it.
If I go to another muzzleloader, I feel it would deb best to use the TC 50 cal. Hawken cause that has plenty of scratches on it anyway. Do you think it would be wise to just never fire it?

I was not sure if it was "valuable" or not. Of course, it might be valuable someday. I almost bought the exact same gun a year ago that was not in nearly as good of shape for $ 395 at a different gun shop. I am sure I got a real deal on it. Just might keep it in the box and get another used one . I beat my guns up real bad sometimes cause of all the raspberries where i hunt.

if anything eventually there wont be anyone left around that knows what they are for and then it will be worthless.. I would shoot it and enjoy it there were tons of them made so not really collectable.

Very cool sight there. I may have to get one and put it on something just to see if I get better results.

And shoot that rifle. I've never bought anything that COULD go boom, that I didn't make go boom. There are a variety of barrels that you can drop into a Renegade as well I believe.

Maybe that is why it was only $300 with tax. I dont see many of them but they are there. Many have been abused and scope mounts on them . Some look downright abused.

I decided to just shoot the TC Renegade. I dont think it will ever be worth much cause I noticed it had QLA and it only had 1 trigger. It is a hard trigger too. I shot it with some old round balls the seller gave me. I did 70 gr. of Goex #2 with the round balls. I did a 4" @ 50 yds with 4 shots and a 3" with 2 shots. I had 2 weird dud shots that made almost no noise. I wondered what the heck?? I noticed I was only running 20 gr. . I dropped the meter measurer and it must have hit the ground just right and knocked it from 70 gr. to 20 gr. Funny things it hit the target but was 8" low however.

Back