Lyman Mustang - BH209 and potential problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eltaco

Reaction score
First stop here to this forum and looks like some great advice for me as a brand new muzzleloader shooter. I’ve hunted my whole life but primarily archery for the past 15yrs, and never before with a muzzleloader. I just received my CO elk draw results and you guessed it, I drew a muzzleloader tag. I’m excited for the new experience, but have an awful lot to learn.

I’ve had a Lyman Mustang Breakaway 209 in my safe for around 8yrs. It’s new, never been fired… it was won at a benefit dinner. I really don’t know much about this gun, but at the surface it looks like it fits the requirements for CO elk. 209 primer and 0.50 caliber, and shoots conicals.

I’ve spoken with a few friends who understand MLs well, but none of them are familiar with this gun. Most I know are using Blackhorn 209 propellant, and I’m very curious if I can plan to do the same. If not, can I update a breech plug to accept it?

Speaking of breech plug, mine appears to have damage to it. Can anyone confirm if this is normal? I’m not sure how the damage could have occurred, unless it was there before winning the gun.

Lastly, I’ll want to do a lot of reading on bullet weight for bull elk. Any opinions on the subject are welcome. Like archery, I’m sure everyone has a different view on this, but would love to hear some personal experiences.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 31
looks like the firing pin was forward when the breech was opened. I don't think it will affect function though. Unless the firing pin is bent too.

Thanks for the welcome.

once I’m able to get my hands on some 209s, I’ll check fitment. If I’m able to load a primer and get it back out, I’ll give it a shot. Looks like that breech plug is discontinued, but I’ll try contacting Lyman on Tuesday.

Im very interested to learn if anyone has experience with this particular muzzleloader and any tips I can go into this experience with. Do I need to modify the breech for the CCI 209M or Federal 209A recommended for the Blackhorn 209, for example?

Ill take a look at the sticky threads to learn as much as possible. I need to figure out which tools are necessary to get me started, and how to properly clean before and in between shots. Hoping to get a good amount of range time before September, I’ll be sure to update as I go!

Attachments

• DA024632-68C5-4559-90BD-1063660AB348.jpeg
    DA024632-68C5-4559-90BD-1063660AB348.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 14912CB8-DD21-41D6-8194-F26B23F7BC09.jpeg
    14912CB8-DD21-41D6-8194-F26B23F7BC09.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 29
Welcome from Michigan

I have done some shooting with heavy conicals in a Knight Elite. 1/28 twist just like you with a 209. I used 65g (w) of T7, wad, NASA Lube, and the bullet pictured below. My goal is to shoot the heaviest and most aerodynamic bullet possible to maintain energy at distance. The bullets are made or pure lead. I haven't killed an elk with a muzzle loader but I cant help thinking if you put it in the right place it should take down the largest of beasts.

The bullet I am referring to is the 450HP long. I can shoot quarters at 90 yards with no problem. I have samples of the 545 solid long and the 620 solid long I plan to shoot as well. A bullet stability calculator says the 545 should work but the 620 is on the edge.

1622374534304.png

The bullets come from Mr. Hollow point. I ask to have them sized to .503. He will size them like you want if you have a different requirement. Right now his turn around time on orders is about 10 days. Good luck.

Black horn frequently has trouble with conicals... some folks have had it work ok at the range, but when they got up in the mountains with a cold soaked rifle it wouldn't go bang.

You can search here for ideas about how to use it reliably with conicals or bore riding bullets (solutions like using wads between the bullet and powder)... but if I had a Colorado tag I wouldn't use BH209, I'd be using triple7even (777) due to the rules forcing you to use conicals instead of Sabots... 777 doesn't require a sealed projectile to work well.. BH209 does need the projectile and primer to be sealed to start burning correctly. (the manufacturer recommends saboted projectiles with BH209 for this reason... just read the instructions or their website)

Welcome from Michigan

I have done some shooting with heavy conicals in a Knight Elite. 1/28 twist just like you with a 209. I used 65g (w) of T7, wad, NASA Lube, and the bullet pictured below. My goal is to shoot the heaviest and most aerodynamic bullet possible to maintain energy at distance. The bullets are made or pure lead. I haven't killed an elk with a muzzle loader but I cant help thinking if you put it in the right place it should take down the largest of beasts.

The bullet I am referring to is the 450HP long. I can shoot quarters at 90 yards with no problem. I have samples of the 545 solid long and the 620 solid long I plan to shoot as well. A bullet stability calculator says the 545 should work but the 620 is on the edge.

View attachment 14751

The bullets come from Mr. Hollow point. I ask to have them sized to .503. He will size them like you want if you have a different requirement. Right now his turn around time on orders is about 10 days. Good luck.
Thank you for that info. I’d happily look into it. I see Thor has a bullet sizing pack so I can test fit .500-.503. Is that the best route to go to determine fitment? Should I put 15 or so standard 0.500s through before measuring?

Black horn frequently has trouble with conicals... some folks have had it work ok at the range, but when they got up in the mountains with a cold soaked rifle it wouldn't go bang.

You can search here for ideas about how to use it reliably with conicals or bore riding bullets (solutions like using wads between the bullet and powder)... but if I had a Colorado tag I wouldn't use BH209, I'd be using triple7even (777) due to the rules forcing you to use conicals instead of Sabots... 777 doesn't require a sealed projectile to work well.. BH209 does need the projectile and primer to be sealed to start burning correctly. (the manufacturer recommends saboted projectiles with BH209 for this reason... just read the instructions or their website)
I will look into the 777. I thankfully found some locally, but I’m not certain which option to purchase yet. More reading to do.

I’ve been fortunate to take a few bull elk with my bow, so looking forward to the muzzy opportunity. My hunting will be between 9k-11k’ elevation and I’m likely to encounter anything between freezing blizzard conditions to 70deg blue sky days. I’ll hunt out of my pack for about 8-9days. Often I return to restock after 4-5 days.

If you tell Mr hollwpoint he would send you your choice of bullet with 3 or more different sizing's. He is very interested in helping you get the best accuracy.

Thanks for the information, all.

Learning a lot through searching various threads here already. Looking forward to trying a variety of powders and bullet combinations throughout the summer.

I’m also very interested in a Williams adjustable peep sight with front globe as I don’t care much for the fiber optic sight picture currently provided by the rifle. Looks like a good solution without breaking the bank, and relatable to my archery and military experiences.

I also like the idea of a bit heavier lead bullet for the game I seek, and will test a variety of those as well as the jacketed.

I read through the sticky threads in this forum to have a much better idea of materials and tools required to be successful.

If anybody has a source for primers, I’m all ears. Can’t seem to find any around these parts.

If you know of anyone that shoots trap or skeet seriously you might ask them if they have some extra 209s.

Great idea when I used to shoot trap and skeet in the 1970's I always had 1000 or more 209's on hand.

I found 100 primers yesterday at a civil war reenactment place. Guess I have enough to get me started now, but definitely hoping to find another pack or two before long.

Thanks for all of the help so far. I’ve about collected everything I need to start putting rounds down range!

Great idea when I used to shoot trap and skeet in the 1970's I always had 1000 or more 209's on hand.
Yep, my Superposed is put away thanks to the '''''''''''''''''''''''covid farce. On the bright side, I took up muzzleloading. Gots plenty of 209s. Not so much # 10s and 11s, but thanks to Frank in Fairfield I have enough to keep me going.

Blackborn is illegal to use in colorado

Scopes are illegal to use in colorado.
ALL scopes are illegal. Iron sights only

Colorado finally relaxed on the type of
Conical thAt was legal. Most are legal now.

Make sure your gun is not primed when traveling in a vehicle. Better yet, don't even think about loading it until you are close to being ready to fire. Colorado is picky on this.

Check your regs in Colorado. It is a funky state.

One other thing pellet powder is illegal. Only loose powder.

This came from a ranger i talked to approx 2 weeks ago.

Just repeating.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back