Lyman Plains .50 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
After yesterday’s casting session of the .54 Cal Lyman Plains bullets to try in my Sidelock with Green Mountain LRH Barrel, and my Knight MK-85, I decided to get my .50 Cal Lyman Plains mold out today and pour up some to try in my New Blued .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Like i have said before, These Lyman Plains are AWESOME bullets, They shoot every bit as good as the Custom Molds i had made. These Lyman Plains are 2 stock Factory Molds that I HIGHLY recommend to anyone wanting to shoot a Lead Conical, And not Wait for a Custom mold. My dad is shooting these in his Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade out to 200 yards, he can keep a pie plate Group at that range with these bullets, My dad had never shot 200 Yards with open/peep sights up until these. AWESOME Bullets :yeah:

ZANARSK.jpg

is this made in 45 cal? a friend was looking for a mold and can not find one.

what would be the equal? I have a friend who has a investarms in 45 cal. he was shooting the hornady great plains bullet but now can not find any.

triggerhappy243 said:
what would be the equal? I have a friend who has a investarms in 45 cal. he was shooting the hornady great plains bullet but now can not find any.

Trigger, I am pretty sure they were discontinued in .45 Cal, and i don’t know that there is an equal? They were 285 Grains, and i Believe a Hollow Point? The Hollow Point will be the Toughest part to equal, That would be a Custom Mold. I was thinking No Excuse bullets, but their Lightest bullet listed for .45 Cal is 385 Grains. The Closest bullet i can find with a Quick search is this one (45 Caliber ~Mihek Moulds ~ .454 ~ 270 grain ~ SWC ~ HP) Dan of Bullshop Makes this one, i am sure He Could size them to .452, Or your friend get a Cheap Lee Sizer Die and Size them himself. Besides a Custom made mold, this is all i can See

Here is a Link to Dan’s Bullets

https://bullshop.weebly.com/-45-caliber ... llets.html

triggerhappy243 said:
If I recall, you shoot a 45.............. what are you using?

I shoot a BUNCH of different bullets in .45 Cal, From 188 Grains to 540, I have 10-12 Molds for .45 Cal

Is your Friends investarms .45 Cal a 1:48 Twist? My .45 is a 1:30 Twist, Here are a Couple of bullets i bet would Shoot good in it.

188 Grain, This is a .45 ACP bullet. This little bullet shot really well in my Rifle.
a0CvBSO.jpg

These next 2 i had high hopes in, But neither of these shot well in my Rifle? These might be the Bees Knees in a Stock 48 twist?
4fCaQZY.jpg

qDG2Qx8.jpg

This 292 Grain Bullet shoots REALLY well in my Rifle, i would imagine so in a 48 Twist as well
WMGAqvI.jpg

My Gould bullet, Hollow Point, and Solid Version. These are 350 Grains
pAc6Qn2.jpg

380 Grain on the Right, and 420 Grain on the Left
CnlyuwO.jpg

I have 3 Different .45 Cal molds in the 500 Grain Range, This is my Absolute Favorite of the Big bullets, Elliptical Nose 535 Grain on the Right, 480 Grain Lyman whitworth on the Left, I shoot these in a 1:18 Twist “Hotrod Renegade”
Uk4dSCV.jpg

Here is The Renegade i Set up, Idahoron Gave me this Barrel. It is a 32” 1-18 Twist .45 Cal Green Mountain Barrel, Lee Shaver’s Super Grade Long Range Soule Peep, And Lee Shavers Ferriss Creedmoor Front Sight
ETj2Rcv.jpg

The Front sight
D2iSFpB.jpg

That is some of my .45 Stuff, I have a few more GG, and several more Molds in PP, I even have TC Maxi Molds in .45 Cal, Both designs, The rounded lube Groove (My Favorite of them) and Square Cut

.45 Cal TC Maxi with Rounded Lube Groove
Pc02JmT.jpg

And the Square cut Maxi in .45 Cal
igeUWJs.jpg

That is some of my .45 Stuff, I have a few more GG, and several more Molds in PP, I even have TC Maxi Molds in .45 Cal, Both designs, The rounded lube Groove (My Favorite of them) and Square Cut

.45 Cal TC Maxi with Rounded Lube Groove
Pc02JmT.jpg

And the Square cut Maxi in .45 Cal
igeUWJs.jpg

@Idahoelewis, Sorry, I know this is an old thread. However, I'm curious about the mold used for the round groove maxi-balls. I recently picked up an old Hilts .54 Cal, 3 cavity Maxi-ball mold. It molds maxi-balls very similar to yours.

I cannot find any information online about this mold. It seems like a good mold, but it does not have a sprue cutter. I have to cut the sprues with a pair of flush cutting pliers. Lubed with T/C Bore Butter, the balls shot very well.

I'm wondering if anyone has info on these molds? I found that Hilts still makes molds. But only for fishing lures and weights.

@Idahoelewis, Sorry, I know this is an old thread. However, I'm curious about the mold used for the round groove maxi-balls. I recently picked up an old Hilts .54 Cal, 3 cavity Maxi-ball mold. It molds maxi-balls very similar to yours.

I cannot find any information online about this mold. It seems like a good mold, but it does not have a sprue cutter. I have to cut the sprues with a pair of flush cutting pliers. Lubed with T/C Bore Butter, the balls shot very well.

I'm wondering if anyone has info on these molds? I found that Hilts still makes molds. But only for fishing lures and weights.

TC Actually made that Design, Along with their Other “Square Cut” Lube Groove Maxi Ball. I call this one the “Rounded” Lube Groove Maxi. It actually wouldn’t have been TC themselves that Made them, They had them Made by Shiloh, Ohaus, I have this Design in .36, .45, .50, and .54 Cal, Along with their Square Cut Groove Maxi Molds

Here is mine in .54 Cal
Qvk3Mfol.jpg

And this my .36 Cal, Same “Rounded” Lube Groove
9NDMxT1l.jpg

I am Also Familiar with the other you speak of, Like this
qyKCcbCl.jpg

TC Actually made that Design, Along with their Other “Square Cut” Lube Groove Maxi Ball. I call this one the “Rounded” Lube Groove Maxi. It actually wouldn’t have been TC themselves that Made them, They had them Made by Shiloh, Ohaus, I have this Design in .36, .45, .50, and .54 Cal, Along with their Square Cut Groove Maxi Molds

Here is mine in .54 Cal
Qvk3Mfol.jpg

And this my .36 Cal, Same “Rounded” Lube Groove
9NDMxT1l.jpg

I am Also Familiar with the other you speak of, Like this
qyKCcbCl.jpg

Yes! The last mold looks very similar to mine. I've been molding bullets for years. All of my other molds have sprue cutters attached. Am I doing right by simply cutting the sprue with my pliers? It seems to work well. I'm just not experienced with this mold type. Thanks for replying.

Yes! The last mold looks very similar to mine. I've been molding bullets for years. All of my other molds have sprue cutters attached. Am I doing right by simply cutting the sprue with my pliers? It seems to work well. I'm just not experienced with this mold type. Thanks for replying.

As long as you are getting Good Results with your Bullets, that you are happy with, i would Keep Cutting the Sprues the Same as you Always do :lewis:

Here are a Few More 4 Cavity Variants, These are Steel Lyman Molds with BIG HEAVY Sprue Plates, This is what i would prefer if i could find a Mold. These are NOT my pics, i pulled them from the WWW
h7mKowq.jpg

This is a NEAT looking little .45 Cal, Single Lube Groove Maxi Bullet, I would LIKE to find this Mold :lewis:
kaXAw0r.jpg

Latest posts

Back