Made a Steel Target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I made up a Steel Target yesterday, a friend gave me the chunk of 3/8 scrap steel, it had some holes in it that i plugged with old Nuts and bolts i had in a bucket, The only thing I bought was the Saw horse brackets and 2X4s, I don’t expect longevity out of the Wood, but should hold up for a few sessions :D I will be changing the portable stand soon to a much better setup, Waiting on the brackets to make it.

moqWLh6.jpg

This is the Stand i am gonna end up doing, You purchase the AR500 steel brackets, and 3/4 EMT steel pipe (Conduit) and a 2X4

I like this “Pinch” style setup way better, Be a lot easier to do by yourself, And it’s easily portable.

The Brackets
53HdsdO.jpg

What it looks like setup
H35LNgf.jpg

edmehlig said:
Looks like a LOT OF FUN wonder if the steel plates will get wrapped around the board?

I would hate to pull the trigger on a Muzzleloader that could Flip my Steel Target up around the 2X4 board :lol: I bet this chunk of 3/8 steel weighs 25-30 pounds, I could see it happening with the Small plates, But I don’t have any of those

When we started LR Silhouette shooting at Friendship in the early 90's - all the animals (200-500yds) were on Chains. The Chicken was notorious for wrapping around the post - then we'd try to wrap it 2x, but it would get hung on top - then we'd see who could knock it off (basically only seeing part of the foot/body) - lots of fun. After a few years, all the animals became knockdown with the sighter being on a post..
Have fun.

Harleysboss said:
Well have you RANG the bell yet?

Not yet, my brackets should be here early this week, i decided to save my saw horse legs from possible bullet shrapnel since i have the brackets i posted above on the way. I just need to grab a couple lengths of EMT Conduit and i will be in business. I should be ringing it mid to late week :yeah: it will be an easy fix when the brackets get here, i will stil use the Top 2X4 the Steel is hanging from

I found a better place to shoot 100 yards, The sun will be on my back instead of in my face :yeah: I Took my Rangefinder this morning and went scouting for a better spot. I need to take my Chainsaw tomorrow and trim a little brush out of the way and i will be in business! There is a nice little Creek running beside me, i might take along my cleaning supplies and clean my barrel before i head for home? I have an Air Tank i could take along to blow dry the under rib, Snail, etc. Be Fat Cattin it :yeah:

edmehlig said:
Looks like a LOT OF FUN wonder if the steel plates will get wrapped around the board?

I shoot gongs half the time. I have a portable stand thats 5 pieces of 5' rebar with some brackets with thumbscrews. All mine are bought 1/2" steel.( i have most every size from about 10" down to 2") At 100 yards, down to a 4" circle works, the 3" will spin around the top bar when hit (with about a foot of chain X2)

One remedy I haven't tried yet are replacing the chain with rubber straps. Another is a center circle target, where the larger circle has a center hole, with a smaller circle target strapped behind. the sound of the hit easily tells which was hit.

Squeeze said:
edmehlig said:

I shoot gongs half the time. I have a portable stand thats 5 pieces of 5' rebar with some brackets with thumbscrews. All mine are bought 1/2" steel.( i have most every size from about 10" down to 2") At 100 yards, down to a 4" circle works, the 3" will spin around the top bar when hit (with about a foot of chain X2)

One remedy I haven't tried yet are replacing the chain with rubber straps. Another is a center circle target, where the larger circle has a center hole, with a smaller circle target strapped behind. the sound of the hit easily tells which was hit.

I found out in 5 shots with my .45 Cal that my Steel Isn’t gonna hold up long. There is a Youtube video of an older Gentleman building a Gong from an Old Salvaged Farm Disc, i guess they work REALLY well? He is building the Target for the Long Range Guy’s, TV show i cant remember the name of it? My stand is the Same concept as his. I really like this stand set up! Looks just like the picture above with all the Circle plates on it. I think I’m gonna Spring for a Nice Chunk of AR500 Steel, Something I can’t hurt with my Sidelock Muzzleloaders. These Targets are definitely a HOOT to shoot :yeah:

Steel is a blast to shoot for sure. Angle is key even with 400/500 steel. Extend your bolts back a few inches. Nut, washer, chain loop, washer, nut will allow adjustability. Old fire hose, and conveyor belt works great and actually holds up better than chain. Soft steel gets tore up pretty fast but a heavy angle will make a huge difference. You don't really notice the angle visually from shooting distance. Old discs are super tough and have built in angle, plus they really ring out....not so easy to find anymore.

reelamin said:
Old discs are super tough and have built in angle, plus they really ring out....not so easy to find anymore.

:yeah: I knew this and tried to find an Old Disc before i bought a piece of AR500 Steel But Couldn’t find one. I watched a YouTube Video of a Guy building a really cool Steel Target using an Old Farm Disc, Rubber belting is what he used as well to Hang it. He build a stand from Re-Bar, it was a Pinch design, which was also Cool :yeah:

Idaholewis said:
reelamin said:
Old discs are super tough and have built in angle, plus they really ring out....not so easy to find anymore.

:yeah: I knew this and tried to find an Old Disc before i bought a piece of AR500 Steel But Couldn’t find one. I watched a YouTube Video of a Guy building a really cool Steel Target using an Old Farm Disc, Rubber belting is what he used as well to Hang it. He build a stand from Re-Bar, it was a Pinch design, which was also Cool :yeah:
https://www.agrisupply.com/plain-disc-b ... m/p/80298/

Thanks for the Link George :yeah: That is a CHEAP 22” Gong!! Not sure about the Made in India part? What happened to the GOOD OLE USA Made stuff?

Idaholewis said:
Thanks for the Link George :yeah: That is a CHEAP 22” Gong!! Not sure about the Made in India part? What happened to the GOOD OLE USA Made stuff?

All that stuff got farmed out...... :poke:

Ag Supply is where I buy most all my disc needs, along with Oregon mower blades. They have 18" disc too..

ENCORE50A said:
Idaholewis said:

All that stuff got farmed out...... :poke:

LOL! No doubt about that! I see the Different sizes, This is COOL! I will probably give 1 a Try, at 13.99 for an 18” a guy doesn’t have much to lose! I doubt these big Lead Conicals will hurt them?

Here is the Video that got me thinking about a Disc Blade :yeah:

[youtube]dN3--JT8R7U[/youtube]

Banging steel is fun, although I don't do much of it. I went up to the club's 600yd range and there were a couple guys shooting CF rifles there. When they took a break I went down and hung a couple targets. When I got back and pulled out the muzz, eyebrows started to rise. Even before I got totally ready to shoot, one of the guys asked me about the muzz and shooting long range. Well one thing lead to another and he asked me if I could hit his gong at 300m..... :D

Bang-a-gong.jpg

After I shot that, he threw his hat on the ground and kept saying, "I'd never believe it and I just seen it myself"

Back