Quantcast

Magbolt 150

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

michiganmuzzy

Supporter
Supporter
Do you have any #10 caps to try? Or musket caps? I thought the magbolts were 209 ignition tho.

Blurdgman1

I don’ have the other caps. I’ll double check the 209. It was passed down to me and came with a different style cap.

halloflin

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Can you post a picture of the breech plug end where the primer goes?

halloflin

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator

HC

Supporter
Supporter
Those are for Reenactment,don’t use them for hunting. Use the full powered musket caps for hunting.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporter
If you are going to stay with the Musket caps I would really suggest the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1081 FL - Just do not know if they are still available or not. There are RWS #1081's available but they are four flanged 're-enactment' caps.

The 1081 FL's do not have the flange and are full power caps. But, I can not find any on line.

If it were myself I would purchase a CVA #11 nipple and then use the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 PLUS caps.

OR purchase a compatible 209 CVA breech plug for the rifle. I believe this is the correct but I am not a CVA expert at all

1600104019253.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HC

barbatotony

Salvavita
Supporter
Blurdgman1, just out of curiosity, I have a CVA Magbolt in .45 caliber, what caliber is yours?

mnoland30

I have a muzzleloader that uses #11 caps. In very cold weather I was getting some hangfires, but never, ever, a misfire. I have since purchased several 209 muzzleloaders and found out that they are expensive, very dirty, and powerful enough to move the powder charge and bullet before igniting the powder. For more money, you can buy special weaker 209s for muzzleloaders, but they are still dirty. They are so dirty that you can foul your barrel by just popping 2 off in a clean barrel. I now get the "crud ring" I keep reading about but had never experienced with the #11 caps. My Accura instructions say I have to take the firing pin out to clean every time I shoot. I would stick with the musket caps if you can. They are cleaner than 209's, and between #11s and 209s in power.

Boommeup

Something to think about! A buddy of mine toke some 209 primers and put them in a coffee cup full of water. Snapping them off every half hour to see when he would get a dud. If memory serves, I think it toke four hours! I wish I could call and ask him. But,chewing tobacco and throat cancer killed him about ten years ago.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
I have since purchased several 209 muzzleloaders and found out that they are expensive, very dirty, and powerful enough to move the powder charge and bullet before igniting the powder.
Interesting, i wonder how sooooo many people won Friendship inline matches using ........209 primers and BH209....One of the hardest powders to ignite. While i agree a 209 is not a good idea in a plunger gun...How you come to that conclusion sounds like a quote directly from Cecil and his Variflame sales pitch. It certainly does not reflect well documented inline shooting events.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Looks like Deer Creek still has some parts for them if you have problems finding what you want. There is even a modification using the newer pre QR Wolf breach plug that works better with 209 primers. It will still cause a crud ring with Triple7 but it will be far cleaner than the regular Magbolt 209 plug.

Last edited: