Magbolt 150

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’ have the other caps. I’ll double check the 209. It was passed down to me and came with a different style cap.

Yeah the 209 doesn’t work. I found one it came with.

Attachments

• 4CB4DCAA-4E62-4D90-B125-648E96B234B3.jpeg
    4CB4DCAA-4E62-4D90-B125-648E96B234B3.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 81EF7B93-AFE5-40B9-B69B-4C38E830746E.jpeg
    81EF7B93-AFE5-40B9-B69B-4C38E830746E.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 8
Those are for Reenactment,don’t use them for hunting. Use the full powered musket caps for hunting.

If you are going to stay with the Musket caps I would really suggest the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1081 FL - Just do not know if they are still available or not. There are RWS #1081's available but they are four flanged 're-enactment' caps.

The 1081 FL's do not have the flange and are full power caps. But, I can not find any on line.

If it were myself I would purchase a CVA #11 nipple and then use the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 PLUS caps.

11-Caps-a.jpg

OR purchase a compatible 209 CVA breech plug for the rifle. I believe this is the correct but I am not a CVA expert at all

1600104019253.png

Last edited:
I have a muzzleloader that uses #11 caps. In very cold weather I was getting some hangfires, but never, ever, a misfire. I have since purchased several 209 muzzleloaders and found out that they are expensive, very dirty, and powerful enough to move the powder charge and bullet before igniting the powder. For more money, you can buy special weaker 209s for muzzleloaders, but they are still dirty. They are so dirty that you can foul your barrel by just popping 2 off in a clean barrel. I now get the "crud ring" I keep reading about but had never experienced with the #11 caps. My Accura instructions say I have to take the firing pin out to clean every time I shoot. I would stick with the musket caps if you can. They are cleaner than 209's, and between #11s and 209s in power.

Something to think about! A buddy of mine toke some 209 primers and put them in a coffee cup full of water. Snapping them off every half hour to see when he would get a dud. If memory serves, I think it toke four hours! I wish I could call and ask him. But,chewing tobacco and throat cancer killed him about ten years ago.

I have since purchased several 209 muzzleloaders and found out that they are expensive, very dirty, and powerful enough to move the powder charge and bullet before igniting the powder.

Interesting, i wonder how sooooo many people won Friendship inline matches using ........209 primers and BH209....One of the hardest powders to ignite. While i agree a 209 is not a good idea in a plunger gun...How you come to that conclusion sounds like a quote directly from Cecil and his Variflame sales pitch. It certainly does not reflect well documented inline shooting events.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back