Magnum 209 Primers and Pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer36

Reaction score
I bought CCI Magnum primers to use with BH209 last year but am switching back to pellets. OK to use?

They're probably the better choice for pellets. Hotter primer. Just curious about why you would use the pellets when Blackhorn is the best black powder sub out there.
I have tried pellets, not a big fan but that's just me.

They're probably the better choice for pellets. Hotter primer. Just curious about why you would use the pellets when Blackhorn is the best black powder sub out there.
I have tried pellets, not a big fan but that's just me.
I used Pyrodex Pellets for about 20 years. The only propellant until I tried BH209 last year. BH has some benefits but to me the disadvantages wash them out. I like the convenience of pellets. As far as fouling goes, you only shoot a lot of rounds at the range. Hunting, maybe one or two so the "clean" shooting of BH209 presents no real benefit there. Some people say it's more accurate. Maybe. I very rarely shoot out beyond 75 yds. I don't see any benefit there either.

Pellets simply hold back one's ability to seek the best load/accuracy. Try loading 65 grains grain load of granular with 50 grain pellets. If a shooter will "settle" for a pellet load, that's up to him, but I like to shoot to get that absolute best from my guns and pellets won't cut it.

I also have used the pellets for years in my Ultimate. When on sale, I'd scoop up some T7 50s and 30s up for a rainy day. Unfortunately, even though they remained sealed and dry for a few years, I did notice some velocity inconsistencies from when the same lot/batch was new. My pre-kitted speed loaders were all over the target, except where I was aiming. 0Pellet edges would crumble and the color would change from dark to lighter grey. I ended up scrapping out several boxes to err on the side of caution. Maybe it's just me, but I do believe the pellets should be bought fresh each season for that same season. I also believe they should be checked to ensure they're not sitting in some warehouse for multiple years. Just my $0.02 USD.

I also have used the pellets for years in my Ultimate. When on sale, I'd scoop up some T7 50s and 30s up for a rainy day. Unfortunately, even though they remained sealed and dry for a few years, I did notice some velocity inconsistencies from when the same lot/batch was new. My pre-kitted speed loaders were all over the target, except where I was aiming. 0Pellet edges would crumble and the color would change from dark to lighter grey. I ended up scrapping out several boxes to err on the side of caution. Maybe it's just me, but I do believe the pellets should be bought fresh each season for that same season. I also believe they should be checked to ensure they're not sitting in some warehouse for multiple years. Just my $0.02 USD.
Never had pellets setting around that long with my Ultimate. I'd go through 5 CASES a year :)

I take it you might have shot with RJ, KJ, Rambo and company...?

I am Rambo LOL

Yes, I've shot a ton through the BP Xpress. Ken and I used to go to lunch quite often when I was driving back and forth down below to see family. Quite honestly, I need to stop in and see how the old boy is doing now. IIRC he's 80 or 81 now. Last we talked his health wasn't good at all :( Since my mom passed, I don't get down state much any more.
My average usage of T7M pellets amounted to 5 cases a year. Ken was the first person to tell me about Friendship and the NMLRA. Heck, I've shot muzzleloaders since "73" and up until Ken told me, I never knew a thing about Friendship or the NMLRA. I made a couple matches and Friendship is a beautiful range.

I vacuum pack bulk power, pellets, primers, shells, all ammo when I get it. Especially slugs. I'm not smart enough to come in out of the rain. I either seal a note inside or permanent marker outside.
Good idea. Can' hurt.

I am Rambo LOL

Yes, I've shot a ton through the BP Xpress. Ken and I used to go to lunch quite often when I was driving back and forth down below to see family. Quite honestly, I need to stop in and see how the old boy is doing now. IIRC he's 80 or 81 now. Last we talked his health wasn't good at all :( Since my mom passed, I don't get down state much any more.
My average usage of T7M pellets amounted to 5 cases a year. Ken was the first person to tell me about Friendship and the NMLRA. Heck, I've shot muzzleloaders since "73" and up until Ken told me, I never knew a thing about Friendship or the NMLRA. I made a couple matches and Friendship is a beautiful range.
That's funny.. I purchased my first Ultimate (BP Express w/ Thumbhole) from you at your house on the lake. I also came by your place one night because of light primer strikes. Had to remind you the barrel was charged before you could set it off in your garage. Prevented you from accidentally shooting your wife's car that evening. I think that was 2004. Time sure flies by. I bought the 40X from RJ and KJ at Howell a few years later.

That's funny.. I purchased my first Ultimate (BP Express w/ Thumbhole) from you at your house on the lake. I also came by your place one night because of light primer strikes. Had to remind you the barrel was charged before you could set it off in your garage. Prevented you from accidentally shooting your wife's car that evening. I think that was 2004. Time sure flies by. I bought the 40X from RJ and KJ at Howell a few years later.
Ya got it wrong there and I was only kidding about the Rambo thing. :)

I'm just another one of the Ultimate gang members. I came on later than you did though in 2014. I shot the BP Xpress I had until there was no sense shooting it any more, because I couldn't get any more accuracy from it. I learned that rifle inside and out. IIRC I replaced 4 OEM breech plugs because of gas cutting. I fixed that issue with a TON of work on my brass, along with having Jim, the temp smith, set my barrel back and head space it to the thinnest case head I could find out of 2,000 pieces of brass.
I gave Jim a pilot piece and he set the head space (tight) to that case. Then it was trim 1,999 other cases and use the inside flash hole reamer to set each piece.

I now shoot a custom. I shoot way to much to go through that again.

Pellets are not as bad as most think they are. They are NOT for competitions though.

Latest posts

Back