Magspark 209 adapter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just talked to Mr. Wargo, he added a spare cap to my order. $14, like my favorite saying "one is none, two is one" seems to work for me.
Believe it or not, I seem to have at least 2 of every tool that I own. And it seems to be the ticket to get me to of a bind sometimes.

IMO, if your using something like BlackHorn 209 or one of the other powders made for inlines, the 209 adapter might be worth the trouble. Those powders need the extra heat from the cap to be really reliable.
For those shooting Pyrodex, 777 or real black powder IMO the 209 adapter isn't worth the cost and bother.

Did I say bother? I've heard from more than a few hunters who dropped the cap for a 209 adapter when they were trying to reload out in the woods. Your lucky if it falls into the snow because you can see the hole it made. That makes finding it possible. Dropped into a pile of loose, dead leaves can leave you spending your hunting time looking for it rather than hunting.

I think using a regular #11 cap is probably a better idea. If you drop it in the leaves, no great loss. Just get another one. As for using a regular #11 cap with something like Black Horn 209 if you take a few minutes during your first load of the day, you can unscrew the nipple and put a little powder into the threaded nipple hole. Then reinstall the nipple, place a cap on it and your ready to go.
Those few granules of powder under the nipple will easily fire from a #11 cap and the flame they produce will fire the main powder charge. By the way, doing this "under the nipple" prime is a good idea even if your using real black powder to hunt with. When that first shot MUST fire, it's worth the little extra effort to do it.

Will be waiting for range reports on sticky 209 primers , and a little duct tape over the muzzle makes a water (PROOF) ignition in your side lock/under hammer . Just one more reason to get one or many ! Ed

IMO, if your using something like BlackHorn 209 or one of the other powders made for inlines, the 209 adapter might be worth the trouble. Those powders need the extra heat from the cap to be really reliable.
For those shooting Pyrodex, 777 or real black powder IMO the 209 adapter isn't worth the cost and bother.

Did I say bother? I've heard from more than a few hunters who dropped the cap for a 209 adapter when they were trying to reload out in the woods. Your lucky if it falls into the snow because you can see the hole it made. That makes finding it possible. Dropped into a pile of loose, dead leaves can leave you spending your hunting time looking for it rather than hunting.

I think using a regular #11 cap is probably a better idea. If you drop it in the leaves, no great loss. Just get another one. As for using a regular #11 cap with something like Black Horn 209 if you take a few minutes during your first load of the day, you can unscrew the nipple and put a little powder into the threaded nipple hole. Then reinstall the nipple, place a cap on it and your ready to go.
Those few granules of powder under the nipple will easily fire from a #11 cap and the flame they produce will fire the main powder charge. By the way, doing this "under the nipple" prime is a good idea even if your using real black powder to hunt with. When that first shot MUST fire, it's worth the little extra effort to do it.

I don't see much difference personally between dropping one or the other, both seem inconvenient under pressure. I only have real BP and as I have said my real concern is just ignition under wet and humid conditions. I use to hunt every Saturday and Sunday, now I'm lucky to hunt once a month with kids and other commitments. I need to know when I finally get on a deer and pull the trigger it's going to go Kaboom.

Last edited:
I don't see much difference personally between dropping one or the other, both seem inconvenient under pressure. I only have real BP and as I have said my real concern is just ignition under wet and humid conditions. I use to hunt every Saturday and Sunday, now I'm lucky to hunt once a month with kids and other commitments. I need to know when I finally get on a deer and pull the trigger it's going to going Kaboom.
I shoot OE 3F/2Fthru my sidelocks and being a sealed ignition a boom is a done deal with Mag spark and one of my nick names is MITTS and I do drop either but finding the adapter is easier (bigger) and always carry a spare . Cheap insurance when you finally get the shot , # 11 caps work but 209s hotter get it done and with scarce primers 2 options is always better too /Ed

The Mag Spark isn't a new idea. Ned Roberts mentions a virtually identical device in " The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" . Time frame was the 1880's!
Anyway... What i do to weatherproof my #11 and musket cap setup is a wrap of plumber's tape around the threads AND over the face ( powder side) of the nipple. Cap blast blows right through so no ignition worries. Cleaning the threads is also made easier! No mess and nothing extra to carry.

I tried one briefly on a TC Grey Hawk. It reliably ignited BH209, and that was what I looking to see. I wouldn't recommend trying the same on a drum, but that might be me being paranoid. 209s stick in the cap, but if you unscrew the cap about 1 thread and drop the hammer on it, the primer frees up. It was my preference to use #11s or musket caps, but the Mag-Spark was in case caps were unavailable.

I shoot OE 3F/2Fthru my sidelocks and being a sealed ignition a boom is a done deal with Mag spark and one of my nick names is MITTS and I do drop either but finding the adapter is easier (bigger) and always carry a spare . Cheap insurance when you finally get the shot , # 11 caps work but 209s hotter get it done and with scarce primers 2 options is always better too /Ed
what is OE? I got the mag spark & put it on my new 50 (with laminated stock) tried a couple caps & one thing is immediately apparent,,, it is much quieter!! Which i see as a benefit. I suppose the close system sends the noise down the tube.... the no.11's are extremely loud & require hearing protection (at least for my damaged ears).... I've not loaded the barrel yet (just got the rifle this morning).. but only have visions of excellence!

I don't see much difference personally between dropping one or the other, both seem inconvenient under pressure. I only have real BP and as I have said my real concern is just ignition under wet and humid conditions. I use to hunt every Saturday and Sunday, now I'm lucky to hunt once a month with kids and other commitments. I need to know when I finally get on a deer and pull the trigger it's going to go Kaboom.
I have a couple of these devices (thanks Ed!) although I might never use them. I like my Remington 11’s on a platinum lined or Ampco nipple. They fit tightly to the cone and as long as I prepare and load the rifle properly fire every time in fair weather or foul.

I tried one briefly on a TC Grey Hawk. It reliably ignited BH209, and that was what I looking to see. I wouldn't recommend trying the same on a drum, but that might be me being paranoid. 209s stick in the cap, but if you unscrew the cap about 1 thread and drop the hammer on it, the primer frees up. It was my preference to use #11s or musket caps, but the Mag-Spark was in case caps were unavailable.
As I previously stated treat the 209 like a patch for RB by placing in mouth and spit in the adapter cap ! I do this and will shoot all day at our match s and (NEVER) get either stuck .And like I said previously (try it) it works Ed

As I previously stated treat the 209 like a patch for RB by placing in mouth and spit in the adapter cap ! I do this and will shoot all day at our match s and (NEVER) get either stuck .And like I said previously (try it) it works Ed
Thanks! I have learned a tremendous amount on this site! Lots without even asking!

Back