Maine Doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nit Wit

Reaction score
Called in this doe at 7:50 am in the Maine regular deer season. .50 cal CVA Optima (loose forearm). 2 pyrodex pellets and a 290 gr Barnes EZ load sabot. 50 yards offhand. Never killed a deer with a CVA. I didn't dare use 3 pellets, read some stuff about too much pressure for Spanish made barrels. @ pellets did a fine job. 52'nd year of hunting in Maine, doesn't seem possible!
Nit Wit

Attachments

• 2020 Fall Doe with CVA Optima.jpg
    2020 Fall Doe with CVA Optima.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 48
Congrats Nit Wit, she’s a good one. :lewis:

Didn't know you could take an antlerless deer in Maine during the regular season?
We have antlerless permits and bonus permits. They can be used in the regular season or the muzzle loading(last Chance) season.
NW

Nice that they changed some of rules. Anytime I ever hunted in Maine, I seen plenty of does and always wanted to take one.
Congrats on your fine doe.

Congrats! Those 290 Barnes always seem to work!

Nice, I actually target does. I think they eat best. I try to get a few to donate as well. For best eating a yearling doe is by far the most tender. Not as much meat but quality is outstanding. We are not short of deer here in the thumb of Michigan. One of the farms we hunt said he was riding down the road last winter and saw over 40 deer in the woods adjacent to his farm. That of course will turn into 80 deer. Too many.

Tomorrow (11/15) starts are Michigan Gun season. Looks like the weather is going to be in the toilet with rain and wind. Really glad I built my 8' x 8' elevated blind. Carpet, office chairs, shooting ports so I don't have to open the windows, heat. Today I will run some food out so I don't have to leave it all day tomorrow. Take out some water and coffee too. Oh, and some reading material. Maybe my computer, oh maybe a gun, :roll:

Yeah dont forgot your gun. Ive put a camo canvas enclosure around my fave ladder stand JIC, but will be in an elevated box blind tomorrow, too. hunting on a farm lease so we take plenty of does.

Latest posts

Back