Maine Mooose Lottery....Who Got em...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
(Not me.... :( )

RESULTS
http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/moo ... /index.htm

Applications decline for moose lottery

By DEIRDRE FLEMING, Portland Press Herald Writer

2005 Moose Lottery

The 2005 moose lottery results are in and we've got the names of all of the winners. Check the results to see if you or someone you know snagged a permit.

To top of story

There were 2,895 hunters drawn from 68,800 applicants in the moose lottery Thursday in Rumford, and the event once again resulted in a significant cash flow for the state, although less than last year.

Finally, one of the state's last big-game lotteries has gone as far as it can go as a moneymaker, state officials with the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife say.

The department, which has a $31 million two-year budget, has taken in more than $1 million from the lottery each of the past eight years.

"There is no new idea of how to generate some extra revenue from that," said department budget director Rick Record. "For whatever reason, people did not have the same level of interest as they did last year. What's interesting to me is it's down about 4,000 fewer residents and 1,000 nonresidents. There is really a lot larger drop in residents."

This year, the moose lottery drew $1,480,000 from the 68,800 applicants who entered, down from $1,577,000 last year when 73,700 applicants applied.

Before 1998, when the multiple-chance system was instituted, no hunter could purchase more than one chance and the lottery drew less than $1 million.

That's changed dramatically over time.

Last year, for the first time, nonresidents could purchase an infinite number of moose lottery chances after the Legislature changed the application system to create new revenue for the department. In 2004, 49 nonresidents paid $530 apiece for 100 entries.

This year, 33 nonresidents paid that much for 100 shots at winning a permit, and seven paid $1,060 for 200 chances.

Out-of-staters pay $13 for one chance, $23 for three chances, $33 for six chances and $53 for every 10 chances.

Residents pay $8 for one chance, $13 for three chances and $23 for six chances, which is the most they are allowed to buy.

The department will not offer unlimited chances to Maine residents, because the belief is that it would make the lottery unfair for those who cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars for the chance of winning a permit.

Yet, since the lottery went to multiple chances, Record said there has been "one new twist to spark interest or offer more chances" every year.

"IFW fees and licenses raise $22 million in revenue. The moose lottery is roughly 5 percent of that. It's a pretty good chunk," Record said.

And, Record said, the lottery should continue to be a popular moneymaker.

"We still have close to 75,000 applying for this," Record said. "And half are applying now online. There is still a lot of excitement about it."

Record added that even without a new system for drawing in revenue, the lottery could still create new revenue if interest climbs.

"It may be a one-year blip. I think before we make any changes, we'll see what the trend is beyond one year," he said.

Not me either.

You do still have an opertunity to buy one even if not drawn though. They auction several of them off every year. I found out that is how my relative that hunts nearly every year gets his. He never even enters the lottery. You can not enter the lottery the next year after being drawn, but you can buy one thru the auction. They just cost a bit more that way. Not as expensive as buying 200 or 300 chances in the lottery, but more than buying just a few chances then buying the license. That might be part of the reason that their income on the lottery went down. People who usualy baught hundreds of chances got smart, and are just going to bid that much more at auction when they decided how many will be sold at auction.

No thanks on the Auction, I can find alot better hunts for that kind of cash...

MAINE DOW...
Competitive Bidding

When Maine's 24th annual moose hunt gets underway next September and October, five of the 2,895 hunters with state permits will have acquired those permits - not through the customary spring Moose Lottery - but through a competitive bidding process called the Maine Moose Permit Auction. Legislation allows the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to publicly auction five moose hunting permits to the highest bidder. All proceeds from this permit auction are used to support youth wildlife and conservation education in Maine. Winning bids for 2004 ranged from $8,735 to $11,300.

WOW I had no idea that the relative that I have up there was paying that much for a tag. I knew that he had more $ than what he knew what to do with, but I assumed that he was smarter than the people paying those prices.

For 10 Grand I'll go to AK and kill a REAL MOOSE and take a little family vacation up there with the change! :lol:

"but I assumed that he was smarter than the people paying those prices"

Hey jr that was a long leap of faith seein how he is related to you ain't it? 8) ahaha

Latest posts

Back