Making micro baits

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
A couple years back efishnc developed a new injection style and he dubbed the process as an "ecore" I toyed with the process and actually did such a shot using the nanofry as a topic and they weren't too bad. I've long sing given away all of the baits that turned out and the pictures I took are probably floating around here on the site but no longer on any computer of mine. A short while ago I was asked what the smallest bait I tinker with has the most potential for such tinkering and right off I said the Nano Fry. The inquirer wanted to know why so I shot these up as an example The original Nanos were done using a black core inside a clear plastic loaded with Delta color shifting pigments. For this time around I used an orange tail with the black core under a clear using a "super shift" called Aloha. For size perspective I used a 2-1/4" Fry and a dime to help show how tiny these baits are.

f8TnH0D.jpg

Not too shabby I'd say. Looking closely where the core shines with the colorshift one can easily see the reddish purple. The green and gold portions of the color shift are in there too but you need to really look to see them, no thanks to the camera's filtering.

I use a remelt orange for these and wish I'd have made fresh and strengthen the orange a little. And out wonderful high humidity has allowed a few small bubbles to sneak in with the clear coat. The 2mm eyes are about 15 years old, but still work for this demure bait. Anyone looking for a seriously good ice bait, look no further. These little bits of plastic are a killer panfish ice bait.

The Nano mold is a very easy injecting mold and tail colors are a snap. Ecore shots such as this shown re a bit more challenging but really not that difficult. Working with the small parts is the challenging part for my old eyes, but man these make a nice bait so it's worth the fuss.

Just wandered into the fishing part of this site, mainly came for the ML stuff. I never thought of molding my own plastics for fishing, those look really good!

Plastic bait injection isn't really that hard to get into but there is a small curve to learn and then its all downhill easy. The expense initially is sort of steep and molds can be spendy, but they don't wear out and are forever.

I do the plastic, I do the lead jig head casting and I do the airbrush part of it too, so I stay busy with it. If the lady stays away from me with her infamous list I can shoot in the morning and make tackle all afternoon into the evening. That is stated with a big IF.

Plastic bait injection isn't really that hard to get into but there is a small curve to learn and then its all downhill easy. The expense initially is sort of steep and molds can be spendy, but they don't wear out and are forever.

I do the plastic, I do the lead jig head casting and I do the airbrush part of it too, so I stay busy with it. If the lady stays away from me with her infamous list I can shoot in the morning and make tackle all afternoon into the evening. That is stated with a big IF.
Nice! One gets a lot of satisfaction making their own baits and lures. I always enjoy tying my own trout flies and making bass lures.
I'm waiting for fishing season to roll-around come April. Getting anxious since I bought a new 20 H.P. Mercury outboard for my 16 foot bass boat. I'm gettin' ready now with reel spooling and checking my tackle inventory. I'll post a few pics of some homemade hard lurers when I find them.

Latest posts

Back