Maple Syrup time here

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Guys are headed for the maple groves already, or should I say finally. This year things are about three weeks behind but this and next week should offer some prime sap collecting temperatures. About ten years ago I boiled down about 15 gallons of sap and we relished the syrup for that spring and into the summer some, but definitely not long enough. I love maple syrup on hot corn bread muffins lathered up with butter. My doctor has fits when I tell him this but man, what a way to go.

I wish I had Maples on my place to try this. Mr Tom do you know a trustworthy source to get the good stuff? I've never tried it but bet there is a huge difference between it and my Mrs Butterworths.

We've got tons of sources for the syrup here in Minnesota. Let me check some sites out that maybe have syrup for sale on-line soon as its seasonal and I'll get back to you.

I do know that color is an important part of determining syrup quality. You don't want a real light amber but you maybe don't want a deep dark color either. Really dark maple syrup may have been cooked at too high a temp and the sugars scorched which can lead to a bitter tasting product. A nice medium dark amber is preferred. Maple syrup and honey both have little nuances that makes each stand out from others.

Depending on the sap quality it can take upwards of 40 gallons of raw sap to yield a gallon of syrup. Some cookers up here process several thousand gallons of raw sap a season. This year it looks good for the tappers for the next week or so. Locally the sugar content of the maples can run anywhere from 1% to 5%. Areas further north by a couple hundred miles can see sugar concentrations around 7%. Aside from the syrup, maple bring some super fall colors to the state than marvel those in the NE portion of the country. And maple makes a very, very good smoking wood.

Back