Maryland Primitive Score

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a chance to get in the woods this morning for Maryland’s 2nd annual 3 day primitive season. About 7:10 AM had this deer step out in the fog at about 40 yards. 460 gr conical zipped thru like butter. Deer dropped in it’s tracks and flinched about 20 seconds or so.
Thought it was a nice doe. Ended up being small buck that already dropped. Probably a spike from the size of the pedicles. First time I have ever shot a deer in the month of February. Glad I got the opportunity to get the sidelock out one more time.
BTW, at the sound of the blast a tom bird roosted in a tree about 60 yards away gobbled to remind me that spring turkey season ain’t too far off.😉
D7F41704-51EE-4B98-A73C-460F7A26275E.jpeg5A069BAC-186D-4632-B39A-026B6B92A7A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice take Hatchet. Good eating size.

I love hunting the fog. There's just something mystical about it.

Congrats Jack What powder amount did you use with that 460 bullet I assume the rifle is a 50?
Yes Lou, it is a .50 cal.. I was using only 65 grains of Swiss 2 F. That is my most accurate charge with the 460 gr No Excuses bullet from this barrel.
The rifle is my old Renegade with a 1-48 twist barrel. Every deer I have ever shot with this load has dropped in its tracks and ended up with an exit hole.

Well done- I really envy you guys in MD with that late season. In IL we only have about a total of 17 firearm days (many counties only have 12 days), and I would really love the opportunity to use my traditional muzzleloaders more. Of course, I can use them during any season here, and do, but what muzzleloader I use is dictated by how I have done during archery season prior to the opening of firearm seasons in mid-November.

Last edited:
Well done, sir! What county in Maryland? With that snow on the ground, I am betting not far from me...Washington, Allegany, Garrett? Do you have a picture of what the bullet looks like (unfired?). Does it usually pass through or stay in the deer?

Well done, sir! What county in Maryland? With that snow on the ground, I am betting not far from me...Washington, Allegany, Garrett? Do you have a picture of what the bullet looks like (unfired?). Does it usually pass through or stay in the deer?
I live in western Frederick County. You and I have already spoken about that. You told me you live in Montgomery County. You must have forgot. Any ways.....
Every deer I have hit with this bullet and load has been a complete pass thru. Exit holes on all.
Check out post number 9 above where I explain in detail my load to Lou-ourway77.
If you want to see a pic of bullet unfired, just google No Excuses .50 cal, 460 grain conical.

I live in western Frederick County. You and I have already spoken about that. You told me you live in Montgomery County. You must have forgot. Any ways.....
Every deer I have hit with this bullet and load has been a complete pass thru. Exit holes on all.
Check out post number 9 above where I explain in detail my load to Lou-ourway77.
If you want to see a pic of bullet unfired, just google No Excuses .50 cal, 460 grain conical.
Sorry I forgot! Great hunt and enjoy the full freezer! I'll check out the load info. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back