Maryland Reports 16 percent drop in deer harvest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DNR Issues Maryland Deer Report | WCBC.

Interestingly to me, depsite the increase in interest in hunting seen throughout the country, Maryland's deer harvest fell 16 percent overall. An unseasonably warm December may explain some...I saw very little deer movement during the regular firearm season and the last season ML on New Year's Eve was an insane almost 60 degrees. I've seen many more deer {though no bucks} in January than in December.

Maryland is divided into Region A and Region B, and they have significantly different antlerless tags. Region A, where I do most of my hunting has a total of 2 antlerless with no more than 1 per weapon season (primitive ML is a "bonus" that does not count against bag limit). Region B has a limit of 15 archery and 10 ML in regular areas and "unlimited" in archery in the suburban zone.

I am really hoping that they would increase the bag limit of antlerless in Region A by one or more...Not really sure why the limit in Region A is that low...

Region A has a lot more residents that hunt and a lot of people travel to that region to hunt. The DNR stopped liberal doe bag limits in Region A years back because too many people took advantage of it and put the hurtings on the herd. A lot more hunting country folk in that region who like venison.
Areas in Region B are over run with deer and not enough hunters to put a dent in the herds…. or landowners won’t allow hunting.

I have heard that...but I also think there are a heck of a lot of people in Region A who have crop damage waivers and they hunt those..or allow their friends to hunt those. So there is a lot of disparity in who gets to hunt how many antlerless. I met a guy at the range who said he'd taken 90 deer the prior year on CDW's. I'd even be willing to pay for a "bonus doe" tag like you can for the bonus buck in Maryland. In Montgomery County, I basically have to hunt only public, which is fine but I don't like to do it during rifle...to many people around that I do not trust to identify their target and what's beyond it, if you know what I mean! I am planning to up my archery game in Montgomery County next year... My family needs about 5-6 deer a year to fill our freeze in a way that seriously reduces our reliance on beef. Truth is, five can be had in Region A, IF you fill both buck tags, both doe tags and hunt primitive. That may be my strategy for next year...try for bucks during archery and early ML in Region A, does in archery and LATE ML, and then the primitive. I tried that this year, but that late ML was so warm that the deer weren't moving.

I have heard that...but I also think there are a heck of a lot of people in Region A who have crop damage waivers and they hunt those..or allow their friends to hunt those. So there is a lot of disparity in who gets to hunt how many antlerless. I met a guy at the range who said he'd taken 90 deer the prior year on CDW's. I'd even be willing to pay for a "bonus doe" tag like you can for the bonus buck in Maryland. In Montgomery County, I basically have to hunt only public, which is fine but I don't like to do it during rifle...to many people around that I do not trust to identify their target and what's beyond it, if you know what I mean! I am planning to up my archery game in Montgomery County next year... My family needs about 5-6 deer a year to fill our freeze in a way that seriously reduces our reliance on beef. Truth is, five can be had in Region A, IF you fill both buck tags, both doe tags and hunt primitive. That may be my strategy for next year...try for bucks during archery and early ML in Region A, does in archery and LATE ML, and then the primitive. I tried that this year, but that late ML was so warm that the deer weren't moving.
nows the time, road trip to region B start banging on doors, asking around ect. It may take some work but you may end up with a honey hole. Don't be afraid to offer some help, a deer, case of beer ect.

Montgomery County as well as a few other counties have lots of different park hunts. All you have to do is sign up for them/put your name on a list. You will need to qualify with your weapon first. Lots of guys I know kill bunches of deer on these hunts . Once in a while they score on nice trophy bucks as well. Might be something to look into….???🤔

I hunted in Worton that's in Worcester county I guess I hunted there for most of my hunting years with the exception of Baltimore county There was never a lack of deer Crop damage permits at both area's gave most of the Deer to food for the hungry. In worcester county I rented 44 acres loaded with Deer After retiring from the police department in Baltimore city I became a DJ One day the farmer asked if I knew a DJ as his daughter was getting married He knew I was a police but had no idea I was a DJ So I did his daughters wedding he came to me and asked what he owed me I said it free well I have had permission to hunt ever since and still do He has called me several times to ask where have I been I explained my health problems He assured me I was welcome anytime if I got better Problem is I am not allowed to take anyone hunting I finally manage to get my son to hunt with me But he gone A horse goes lame they shoot him

Last edited:
Montgomery County as well as a few other counties have lots of different park hunts. All you have to do is sign up for them/put your name on a list. You will need to qualify with your weapon first. Lots of guys I know kill bunches of deer on these hunts . Once in a while they score on nice trophy bucks as well. Might be something to look into….???🤔
Yes, we do have that. I am filling out the application for it for next year. That'd be nice.

Back