Max Load M98?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After this year's hunting season, I planned on trying out some Hornady 350 gr FPB's in my White M98 Elite Hunter .504. I bought a lifetime supply of the FPB's a few years back after they got discontinued. Could not get them to group all that great out of some of my TC's, so I thought I would try them out in my White M98.
Doc's manual says max volume load of 150 gr Pyrodex P for this gun. I will be loading Swiss 2F powder. Just wondering how Swiss 2f stacks up against Pyrodex P for power. Want to make sure I stay in the safe zone as far as maximum loads. I researched on the web to find out but could not find a comforting or definitive answer. I figured some of you guys here could help me out.
Thx,HJ

I use 2f Swiss in my .504's and I would say it's hotter than Pyrodex P. That heavy of a load with PP or Swiss will be brutal. With that being said, I would keep my loads 120 gr by vol. and under with 2f Swiss. I would also not shoot these heavy loads unless the rifle is properly bedded. My range load for my .504's is 2f Swiss at around 75/80 gr by vol. my hunting load is 85/90 gr by vol. I also shoot a heavier bullet ( Bullshop 460 gr sized to .5045). All you can do is try.

I agree with FH. I use Swiss 3F in all my Whites, and it's a lot hotter than Pyrodex, and less corrosive. My load is 75gr. shooting a 496gr. Trashcan. Scarey accurate!

For my 460 gr Bullshops and No Excuses I shoot 85 grains of Swiss max. After that the recoil starts to thump pretty good.
I was hoping with the lighter 350 FPB that I can up the charge. In return, up the velocity for a flatter trajectory out to 200 yds.. With that said just want to make sure I am not pushing the envelope. I will more than likely not exceed the 120 volume mark. Assuming the recoil is not too bad before that.
Thanks for your thought fellas

My .504 Super 91 hunting load is 85gr T72Fg V with a 496 Batchief trashcan. My son killed a nice 8 point at a lasered 112yds on Nov.6th with it. Hit him in the heart, ran a ways (I wasn't there) and dropped in sight. Heart was destroyed!
I wouldn't go over 100 gr. V with that big bullet, max would be 120gr. by volume for anything less.

Latest posts

Back