Maxi hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every now and then I read posts about a rifle that seems to be a POS, no matter what the person tried. I'm a believer in keeping it simple though. You don't have to go too overboard with bullets and powders.
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution.

In this world of BH209 dominance, I often wonder why more inline shooters don't simply try Goex fffg black powder?

If a hunter can realistically look at his record of big game kills on deer, elk, moose, black bear.....

And, if those kills are under 150 yards with a scoped inline muzzleloading rifle, then the performance loss from switching from BH209 to fffg Goex isn't going to make a whits worth of difference.

It isn't until you get out past 200 yards that Swiss black powder & BH209 truly come into their own.

Especially, if you are killing a majority of the animals you hunt under 75 yards.

I mean, I fully get the lure of not having to clean a gun immediately when shooting BH209. But, unless you ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE the additional energy, and flatter trajectory that BH209 brings to the table; is it REALLY WORTH an extra $18.00-$35.00 per pound over Goex?

Last edited by a moderator:
If i had to use a maxi ball I would just go to a Patched Roundball

the maxi-hunters were usually more accurate and expanded but the maxi ball was known for inaccuracy and penciling thru game..my budy used the maxi hunters on deer back n late 70s to mid 90s out of a .50 Renegade and they put the hurt on deer. It shot 1.5 in groups at 75 yds with the hunters and about 12 in with maxi balls.
Also agree with prb over maxiball any day.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I’ve had 3 guns that shot the maxi balls good only one was a inline It was a knight bk I bought the Cva optima v2 because it would be so much easier to clean. It shoot tc shockwavebullets real good but they are hard to find around here and hard to load. I was shooting 100 grains of 777 in my Cva trying to shoot the maxi. Again thanks guys y’all gave me a bunch to think about

Thanks guys I’ve had 3 guns that shot the maxi balls good only one was a inline It was a knight bk I bought the Cva optima v2 because it would be so much easier to clean. It shoot tc shockwavebullets real good but they are hard to find around here and hard to load. I was shooting 100 grains of 777 in my Cva trying to shoot the maxi. Again thanks guys y’all gave me a bunch to think about
Something else for you. I watched a video on YouTube by a guy named Mike Beliveau aka The Duelist about smoothing a rough bore. I tried his method on my CVA Optima V2 pistol.
I sometimes shoot the Hornady PA conicals and they were pretty hard to start. After smoothing my barrel, I can pretty much just push the bullets into the bore with just one good tap with my short starter.

Also try a lighter load than you would use with a sabot. I suggest you start at 70gr of 777 or even 60gr. Working up 5 gr at a time after a few 3 or 5 shot groups. May take a few trips to the range. But I think you'll find the Maxis shoot well somewhere between 70 and 90 gr.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, use Idaholewis's lube recipe with the Bullshop NASA lube & the Sthil 2-cycle oil to lube the bullets.

The recipe is on page 3 of the lube sticky in the casting sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a great post form Docs. Individual muzzleloaders can be finicky. I had an Accura years ago that shot it’s best with a loose fore end screw and camo duct tape securing the fore end to the barrel. It would shoot MOA then.

there a formulas for powder volume and projectile weight and length to start. Idaho Lewis has tested manny combinations on You Tube.

Excellent post Doc!
I know many guns need to have the owner shoot several different projectiles and powder combos to find the ones that work best, I am convinced after all these years some people aren’t as good behind their rifles as they want the internet to believe.
my Traditions barrel is not very good, I can feel the variance inside the barrel as I push a saboted bullet down to the propellant yet I can still get it to group well out to 100 with pellets and BH. My CVA is a much better gun all around and will shoot the exact same loads and projectiles as the Traditions but is more forgiving there for I am able to shoot better groups consistently with it. I practice all year with many different types of rifles and hand guns and have battled bad scopes, rings, bases and different ammo’s over the years. In the end I think it helps one become a better shooter along with practicing often and not just once or twice a year.

Everything stated here is true I believe. Start with a projectile you like, purchase a single powder and primer. Then experiment with different weights of powder. If you have the basic skills to shoot I think you should find a reasonably good combination in short order.

Then you can start looking for the "perfect" combination if you are interested. Thus "the rabbit hole". We all seek a better combination.

Back