Maybe I got lucky?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DL , I have a brother in San Antonio who has a machine shop , several lathes, cnc mill etc. I'm 20 miles north of Lampasses , maybe we could make the dies.

Brother you are in my backyard. I am 7 miles south of Ennis on I45. I have taken some 50cal rb and ran thru my .452 size die. Works pretty good but hard to keep straight when loading. Was going to take some 54cal rb and run thru my .499 size die then run thru my .452 size die to get an even heavier bullet. Just thinking out loud. I was a machinist and machine tool tech all my life after the service ended in 1974. All i have left is a table top mill and a small drill press. Sold my lathe 20+ years ago. But yeah we may be able to work something out later.
DL

Congratulations. An excellent buy!

I personally love all things Pietta. I own a 1851 Colt navy brass revolver in .44. it shoots straight and I have never had a cap jam. Amazing fun and cheap. I use only 12 grain by volume of triple 7. Of course mine's brass so I treat her like an old lady.

Well i loaded up 2 cylinders this afternoon. One cylinder with 27 grns of Goex 3F and round ball. The other with 30 grn Pyro P pellets and Omnivores HBSWCHP bullets. To say i was a little dissapointed was an understatement. I now know that white lithium grease is to be avoided on the base pin. It turned to tar on the first cylinder. On the first shot i noticed 3 caps about to come off, so i stopped and pulled the cylinder and pulled caps and squeezed caps and reinstalled all. Last 5 shot fine. 2cd cylinder i squeezed the caps first. All 12 rounds fired but there was so much blow back thru the caps it was unreal. The hammer was covered in blow back. Next step is new caps and better ones. I guess I still have work to do here.
DL

Last edited:
Well i loaded up 2 cylinders this afternoon. One cylinder with 27 grns of Goex 3F and round ball. The other with 30 grn Pyro P pellets and Omnivores HBSWCHP bullets. To say i was a little dissapointed was an understatement. I now know that white lithium grease is to be avoided on the base pin. It turned to tar on the first cylinder. On the first shot i noticed 3 caps about to come off, so i stopped and pulled the cylinder and pulled caps and squeezed caps and reinstalled all. Last 5 shot fine. 2cd cylinder i squeezed the caps first. All 12 rounds fired but there was so much blow back thru the caps it was unreal. The hammer was covered in blow back. Next step is new caps and better ones. I guess I still have work to do here.
DL

DL, I made the mistake of trying “Bens Red” Lube Quite awhile back in a Muzzleloader, I found out QUICKLY that it‘s NO Good for Blackpowder, That stuff left the Nastiest fouling i have ever seen, Sort of like Concrete :oops: I came to the Conclusion that Lucas Red N Tacky Grease is best left for Grease Guns :D

:bump::bump:

Well guys i picked her up last night. Met my buddy and his wife, with my wife, in Belton at Schoepf's Bar-B-Que. It was nice getting caught up after almost 2 years. Got home after about 10pm and didnt feel like messy with cleaning it up so left it for today. Made sure all was here. Action was extremely tight, both cylinders were crammed full of grease. Suddenly a light went on, no one fills stainless steel cylinders with grease to prevent rust. Took a metal probe and checked the grease depth, hell there was a ball there. Both cylinders were loaded and have been for many many years. I removed the nipples and checked the charges. I found 2 bores with no powder, just ball and grease. James knows nothing about C&B revolvers and the old man just accepted the revolver as payment for broken windows. I carefully drove out the charges and balls. Heated some hot water and added some dawn soap. Let soak for a couple of hours. Damn they cleaned up with no signs of corrosion. No wear on ratchet, and not on bolt recess. So now i stripped the whole revolver down, it was loaded with grease, and cleaned with hot water and dawn dish soap. After reassembly it works perfectly. Looking down barrel all bores line up on both cylinders and also on spare a blue cylinder i have. I cannot tell if this gun has ever been shot or not. Now it is my turn. I think i did good.
View attachment 10529View attachment 10530View attachment 10531View attachment 10532View attachment 10533View attachment 10534

DL
:dance::dance2:
Congrats, sweet. They are getting more expensive every day it seems.

Congrats, I just acquired a 58 in 44 cal myself with the extra cylinder for $125 from a good friend. Have shot it before, using both cylinders.... I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Nice find. I put a set of Ampco nipples on mine and dry fired it with just nipples. It all seemed to work great. Now to find the time with powder and ball.
DL

That looks like a lot of fun. I'd say it's pretty lucky that they lived in a dry climate. In lots of places in the south you would think it would have been in real bad shape if it's been loaded for that long.

Did you have no 10 caps to try ? Mike from duelist ytube channel uses a little wooden dowel to seat the caps on the nipples better. I bought a brand of nipples that are stainless and have a little hole drilled on the side to vent gas.
If you need a loading stand try Powders Inc web site.

Did you have no 10 caps to try ? Mike from duelist ytube channel uses a little wooden dowel to seat the caps on the nipples better. I bought a brand of nipples that are stainless and have a little hole drilled on the side to vent gas.
If you need a loading stand try Powders Inc web site.

ASB i do the same. I have a tapered dowel, one of my paper forms that did not work like i wanted, that i use just for that reason. I also watch Mike's videos. The nipples were absolutetly trash. These new AMPCO nipples work really well. I put a second set on the spare cylinder.

Have you been able to take her for another run yet DL? I didn’t say it before but dang boy! You scored!

Bad Karma I have been busy lately and just have no spare time to go to the range. To be honest i have been putting a lot of time and money on my prepper resources. My black powder resources are good right now. My unmentionables need a little more stockpiling. We are both Jarheads, you know what i mean.
DL

ASB i do the same. I have a tapered dowel, one of my paper forms that did not work like i wanted, that i use just for that reason. I also watch Mike's videos. The nipples were absolutetly trash. These new AMPCO nipples work really well. I put a second set on the spare cylinder.

Bad Karma I have been busy lately and just have no spare time to go to the range. To be honest i have been putting a lot of time and money on my prepper resources. My black powder resources are good right now. My unmentionables need a little more stockpiling. We are both Jarheads, you know what i mean.
DL
Exactly right, dunno what’s coming up but I won’t be caught unprepared... we can take care of our own and help our neighbors too. I’ve been up to about the same thing you have. The other day I stopped by a LGS I haven’t visited in some time and a bunch of folks leaning on the counter couldn’t believe the state of affairs. I commented, ”Y’all wake up yesterday?“

I’d been wondering about your absence from the sites for a bit. Hope you’re doing well. Semper Fi Lee...

Latest posts

Back