Measures and flasks in the field

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Just wondering how people manage their powder when in the field hunting for follow up shots? Previously with my inline I had a TC sling with two loops that held plastic tubes I carried measured powder in. For whatever reason over time the tubes have warped and the sling is stuffed so I'm wondering if that's the best way to go or if there is a better way.

I've seen some of the flasks that have a nozzle with a given grain amount, wondering if this is useful hunting or whether I'd be better off buying more plastic tubes.

One thing I'm unsure of with the flasks, does a 90gn nozzle spit out 90gn then cut out like the old diner sugar dispensers or do you need to invert it and block the opening till it fills and then close it back up then pour? (Hopefully that makes sense)

I generally hunt with a backpack but might have to go to a possibles bag if I don't want my pack and need to carry larger powder flasks and a bullet starter. Never had to worry about a starter in my triumph as there is no rifle for the last inch of barrel.

Again,
Thank you for the help.

230521721_o.jpg

My goal is to provide a valuable resource at an affordable price in this crazy over-priced world :DÂ Please take a look and see if these Powder Storage Tubes/Vials may be useful to you at the range, and hunting as a speed loader of sorts.

Here is a description:

I have the Long 10ml and the Short 5ml Tubes. Â When ordering, just mention Long or Short tubes, and color of caps and I will get them to you ASAP :)

FREE shipping to Lower 48 States Â

All Tubes are just .38 Cents a tube :)

Special Deal: Â I will sell 100 Short Tubes for $32.00 TYD.
And I will sell 100 Long Tubes for $35.00 TYD

Want to add a couple NEW SIZE Tubes!

I've got a few hundred of these Larger Tubes you may want to check out  :)

50ml Black Powder Storage Tubes.
They are 4.5 inches High, and 1 inch inside diameter. Â They will hold about 1.7 Fluid Onces.
And about 900g of powder.

See The Bottom of this Page!

*** I now have RED, WHITE, and GREEN Screw Caps Available ****

Long 10ml Tubes Description  Below:

These are EMPTY, Â Clear, Heavy Duty Black Powder/Bullet Tubes.

These are BlackHorn 209  (BH209)  Powder ready  :) Â

They are made of clear polypropylene. Â These 10ml free standing tubes/vials, Â have molded graduations in 1 ml increments and a conical bottom.
* Screw cap features a molded-in sealing ring for a leak-proof seal.
* A frosted writing area makes powder identification easy.

These are UNBREAKABLE!

You can store 10ml of anything that will fit into them, powder or liquid. Â I use them for holding measured loads of black powder for my muzzleloader range sessions. Â Also are great as speed loaders for hunting. Â They measure .570 at the mouth and tapers to .490 on the bottom. Â Trip7 and Pyrodex pellets also fit inside tubes!!

Pic #1 has an old yellow 45cal speed loader at the top for size comparison. Â You can see that most bullet styles will also fit in the tubes. Â Most 50cal sabots will also fit, but some bullets must be nose first into the sabot, so as not to expand the sabot. Â The tubes have a slight taper toward the bottom.

Pic #2 listed, show--left to right, 150, 120, and 100grains by volume of  3Fg Goex Pinnacle Powder,  for reference purposes only.  These tubes are shipped  EMPTY!

Pic #3 Shows some 50Cal bullets and sabots. Â Third tube from the left, Â shows 100g Pyrodex powder and a 300g Hornady SST in the speed loader configuration.

Pictures #4 + #5 Show 50grain Pyrodex Pellets in the tubes.

Short 5ml Tube Description Below:

They are made of clear polypropylene. Â These are the SHORT 5ml (Actually 7ml filled to the very top) free standing tubes/vials, Â have molded graduations in 1 ml increments and a conical bottom.
* Screw cap features a molded-in sealing ring for a leak proof seal.
* A frosted writing area makes powder identification easy.

You can store 5ml-7ml of anything that will fit into them, powder or liquid. Â I use them for holding measured loads of black powder for my muzzleloader range sessions. Â Also are great as speed loaders for hunting. Â They will hold 1.66 oz of #6 Lead Shot (Exactly 727g), for those who use Muzzle loading Shotguns :)Â They Measure .570 dia at top and .505 at bottom.

Picture #6 Shows left to right, one large 10ml tube for size comparison only, a 5ml tube with 70gV of Pinnacle powder, then 100gV Pinnacle powder, Four .490 Round balls, Four Knight Plastic Jackets, Two 40/45cal saboted projectiles, Empty 5ml tube.

Picture #9 Shows 2each 50grain Pyrodex Pellets in the Short 5ml Tube

Free Shipping to USA Lower 48 Free.

Shipping to Canada.(Canada Must add just $5.00 Extra for up to 75 Tubes)

You may contact me here: [email protected]

In His service

Lane

:DÂ NEW I've added a Long Tube Holder/Organizer! Â Please ask about it if you need one or two :DÂ Â They are $12.00 each, (They hold 24 tubes) Â You can also get these your self at the local Walmart, called Ice Tube Tray--sold next to the Ice Cube Trays and stuff. Â They cost me alot to ship, cause they are so bulky!! :D

mYEQDpmv2DfulyBPxIS8xhw.jpg

123194704_o.jpg

117186120_o.jpg

117186125_o.jpg

193493858_o.jpg

193493873_o.jpg

123931315_o.jpg

123931531_o.jpg

193496627_o.jpg

Want to add a couple NEW SIZE Tubes!

I've got a 100 of the clear Larger Tubes, and about 30 of the Dark Amber/UV tubes, you may want to check out  :)

50ml Black Powder Storage Tubes.
They are 4.5 inches High, and 1 inch inside diameter. Â They will hold about 1.7 Fluid Onces.
And about 900g of powder.

These are the same Great Air-Tite, Water-Proof Tubes as my 5ml and 10ml :)

They are Dark Amber UV Light Blocking Tube with BLUE caps.
OR Â
Clear self-standing with GREEN Screw Cap Lids!

Very sturdy and can hold about 900g of Powder.

They sell for $1.20 a Tube with Free shipping. Â Please order at least Five (5) Tubes ;)

Pics Below:

IMG_tube4.jpg

You may contact me here: [email protected]

I just carry TC "4-in-1" quick loaders. I have two of them and before the hunt I prep them with a measured powder charge and also put either a conical in the bottom or a patched RB. They even serve as a short starter. These are used if I need a second shot in a hurry (hasn't happened yet). I have had the top pop open in my coat pocket once and spill all of the powder. HC's vials look like they wouldn't have that issue.
I also carry more powder in a "field flask" I made, it holds enough for 5 shots. It is basically a powder flask with a spring loaded push valve. I wear a measure around my neck with a straight capper.

I carry this small kit in my field pack when hunting.
2 pre-loaded charges in speed loaders. Nipple wrench, pick, jag. Short starter, little hammer, capper and my old Boy Scout knife. 20200702_155500.jpg

I'm assuming you hunt with a 50cal ML? If so the suggestion that RenegadeHunter suggested using TC "4-in-1" quick loaders would be the way to go. I pre-measure/weigh my charges at home and place them in small vials. Being I shoot conicals with my 45's I just open the vial and dump the charge down the bbl, insert my wad, followed by my conical. If I need a follow-up shot, I skip the wad.

I'm assuming you hunt with a 50cal ML? If so the suggestion that RenegadeHunter suggested using TC "4-in-1" quick loaders would be the way to go. I pre-measure/weigh my charges at home and place them in small vials. Being I shoot conicals with my 45's I just open the vial and dump the charge down the bbl, insert my wad, followed by my conical. If I need a follow-up shot, I skip the wad.

Yeah that's what I tried with my inline but I found the powder would inevitably end up working in and around the sabot as I hunted. Except for hog deer which is out of a stand we stalk deer here (still hunting I believe you guys calls it though I'm not sure why!). I think the constant bouncing about puts the powder into all nooks and crannies.

I might even do what I currently do and buy more tubes, i kept two with two shots worth of powder and one with projectiles, was a little time consuming but not too bad.

Only once have I needed a quick follow up, missed a fallow buck at 60yds (still don't know how) and he stood looking around after the shot. Just as I was ramming the shot home he took off.

Edit: sorry just looked this up, I wasn't using the 4 in 1 tc tubes, had another one that i think was probably for pellets.

Last edited:
I carry this small kit in my field pack when hunting.
2 pre-loaded charges in speed loaders. Nipple wrench, pick, jag. Short starter, little hammer, capper and my old Boy Scout knife. View attachment 9602

I've been curious about cappers, are they really helpful? In my inline with 209 primers I don't use one and have never considered myself hindered in any way by not having one. Is it different with sidelocks and no. 11 caps?

I've been curious about cappers, are they really helpful? In my inline with 209 primers I don't use one and have never considered myself hindered in any way by not having one. Is it different with sidelocks and no. 11 caps?
I only use one with my sidelocks because the caps are small and I tend to drop them otherwise.
Not so with the 209 primers.

When I had a muzzleloader shotgun, I used those little 35mm
Film containers, soft, flexible. My premeasured shot in one, powder in another, wading in another.
They worked pretty good, a bit cumbersome to carry a half dozen of them.

That's kind of my philosophy too BDH. Hasn't happened yet.

A few years ago the nephew started to hunt the hill with me. On his first opening morning he dumped like five, 5 packs of sabot slugs in his pocket. He had one license and I had two. He saw that I had four loads with me and shook his head saying what happens when you run out? I told him I don't run out. By 8 that morning I had my two deer down, dressed out and tagged and in the garage of the hunting property's owner. A little after two in the afternoon I shot his deer after he shot a total of 11 times and never cut a hair. He blamed the gun. I said the gun was fine and that the trigger operator was at fault. lol He still thinks its his gun.

That's kind of my philosophy too BDH. Hasn't happened yet.

A few years ago the nephew started to hunt the hill with me. On his first opening morning he dumped like five, 5 packs of sabot slugs in his pocket. He had one license and I had two. He saw that I had four loads with me and shook his head saying what happens when you run out? I told him I don't run out. By 8 that morning I had my two deer down, dressed out and tagged and in the garage of the hunting property's owner. A little after two in the afternoon I shot his deer after he shot a total of 11 times and never cut a hair. He blamed the gun. I said the gun was fine and that the trigger operator was at fault. lol He still thinks its his gun.

Completely agree, having one shot and a long time before the second I always make sure of it so I only ever hunted with an extra 2 shots. Other than the one buck I missed every other deer I've fired at had been a one shot kill. I'm probably over thinking it a bit.

I carry these Butler Creek Lightning Loaders in the field. I have been using them for years. They always provide a quick follow up shot. My side lock uses a #11 primer and the end caps of the loader each hold a primer. I paint the powder end with nail polish so I know to open it first. This type is open all the way through. I pour in the powder, then open the other cap and ram through the loader to start the ball. I usually have 6 with me.
Loaders.jpgLoaders2.JPGLoaders3.JPG

Because they are EXTREMELY Durable, and very reasonably Priced :lewis:
[/QUOTE]
I have the 209 capper but what I use is one of those little rubber coin purses. It fits in your pocket and holds plenty of primers.

I have the 209 capper but what I use is one of those little rubber coin purses. It fits in your pocket and holds plenty of primers.

Now that sounds trick. Good thinking. I might have to hunt one of those up.

Best thing ever
T/C Muzz Charger

Attachments

• 0DCE02D3-C39F-4A50-B9A2-AFA0184F0438.png
    0DCE02D3-C39F-4A50-B9A2-AFA0184F0438.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back