Melted or stuck gun powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
I was reloading in my shop and left a hopper of gun powder in my hornaday dispenser and a couple days later I emptied to change powder but there are hundreds of granules of powder stuck on everything inside and I can't remove even with a brush anyone ever hear of this before ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Sorry wrong venue if you can move this I appreciate it.

Ive been reloading since 1965 and never encountered that. Contact Horndy, they need to know. They should take care of it for you, for free. Good luck!

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Sounds like static. Grab a dryer sheet with a forceps and run it up and down and around in the hopper and see if that doesn't help.

Re: RE: Re: Melted or stuck gun powder

MrTom said:
Sounds like static. Grab a dryer sheet with a forceps and run it up and down and around in the hopper and see if that doesn't help.
No I can't even scrub it off with a brush !! I'll go get a pic.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Melted or stuck gun powder

muzzlestuffer said:
MrTom said:
No I can't even scrub it off with a brush !! I'll go get a pic.

Here's a couple pics I actually can scrub really hard with my finger nail but not sure how I'll get down inside the trickler area ?? Will have to experiment some !
7ec256f79f7e1c970c530016d6012daa.jpg
a5af6c7718bf851921b7ff57c7045ed6.jpg

herschel conyers said:
Ive been reloading since 1965 and never encountered that. Contact Horndy, they need to know. They should take care of it for you, for free. Good luck!

It's pretty hot here in az so I'm sure that had something to do with it ?

Ive had the plastic hopper of a RCBS uniflow to darken up so it was hard to see the powder level, I emailed them and they sent a new one. Never had any particles to embed to the plastic like yours. I never leave powder set in the measure or trickler overnight for saftey reasons.

Idaholewis said:
I immediately thought Static as MrTom suggested, I have seen that MANY times, easily fixed with a Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheet. BUT your case is very different! I have never seen powder imbed like that? I would Get in Contact with Hornady and Send it back to them!
Back when i used a powder measure i NEVER EVER left powder in 1, Not even overnight, When i was done throwing charges i emptied the Measure back in the Powder Jug it Came from
Yeah I normally did that too but since loading more next day I figured not to you see how that worked out for me!

muzzlestuffer said:
It's pretty hot here in az so I'm sure that had something to do with it ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Some smokeless powders are made using a lot of solvent. If the powder is stuck in the plastic its probably an issue with the solvent make-up of the powder after a little longer period of exposure. When I was doing a lot of re-loading for center-fire guns and using several powders, some of those had a real strong solvent, almost an ether, smell to them. I always used what I was going to use then moved the powder immediately back to the original container, but I live in an area with variably high humidity and was cautious about moisture getting to the powder. I don't think its heat related but I can see it a problem with residual solvent in the powder itself and leaving the powder in the hopper too long.

Phenolics or the types of plastics used in casting the cylindrical column that is in your powder dispenser are sensitive to the out gassing of the ether in the powder's nitrocellulose based formulation. Extended exposure allows the plastic a level of tackiness and thus takes a few flakes to it's surface.
A light abrasive such a steel wool should remove these with little pressure, be sure not to scratch the surface too badly.

Back