Michigan 1,000yd range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a 300 yd private range just several miles from me. Inexpensive to join too. If you have a cpl.

Not an awful lot of 300yd+ ranges in MI, short of those private ranges. There are a couple that have longer ranges, but there's a mile long waiting list to join, then its expensive as all get out. I'm fortunate to be close to the Alpena Sportsman's Club, which has a 600yd range. Its small and out in the middle of a cedar swamp. Its tough trying to shoot it in the winter and when things start to thaw, like now, they close the road to keep it from being torn up. Just to far to carry all the necessary equipment in by foot.

Maybe this summer we'll be riding the Sling and if I'm near the Lake City range, I'll check it out. No benches on the range, everything is shot from prone. It appears they have a lot goin on down there. Wonder if they'd consider hosting a muzzleloader event...……..?

Guess I"m lucky living on club grounds (1700 acres)as I shoot weekly at our 800 yd private range . With cameras it cuts down on 4 wheelin to check targets . Waiting line is small 6-8 guys with gourmet lunch (I was kicked out of hot dog detail) ! It does get expensive for me 1LB = 14 PP slicks and 80 grins of OE in the Renegade ,still cheaper than the C Sharps 74/45-70 and we make the range rules ! retired is great ! /Ed

Not an awful lot of 300yd+ ranges in MI, short of those private ranges. There are a couple that have longer ranges, but there's a mile long waiting list to join, then its expensive as all get out. I'm fortunate to be close to the Alpena Sportsman's Club, which has a 600yd range. Its small and out in the middle of a cedar swamp. Its tough trying to shoot it in the winter and when things start to thaw, like now, they close the road to keep it from being torn up. Just to far to carry all the necessary equipment in by foot.

Maybe this summer we'll be riding the Sling and if I'm near the Lake City range, I'll check it out. No benches on the range, everything is shot from prone. It appears they have a lot goin on down there. Wonder if they'd consider hosting a muzzleloader event...……..?
That range is geared toward "tactical" shooters. The Mich. rifle & pistol Assn. long range Div. moved their events there when the MRPA was "uninvited" out of using the ranges at camp Grayling. Range fees at Grayling went from about $100.00 a day to over $1000.00 a day. The pit system at the lake city range now uses an electronic target scoring system which eliminates target pullers in the pits. Bullets have to be going supersonic through the target for the system to register where the bullet went through the target. The hit and score are sent to a receiver on the firing line that records your score and shot location. Since our B.P. ctg. and M/L bullets aren't going anywhere close to supersonic going through the target, our shots won't register. The B.P. long range events are now combined with events that are held at Camp Atterbury [I think] Indiana.

We could easily have a M/L event in Mich........................But getting someone [besides me] to do it is the hard part.

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot, $100 a day...let alone $1000 a day?!!
My local range is a $100 a YEAR for membership. I feel for you folks trying to enjoy some shooting time in areas like that.
(Dear Lord, thank you so much for having me be born in the humble state of Idaho).

That range is geared toward "tactical" shooters. The Mich. rifle & pistol Assn. long range Div. moved their events there when the MRPA was "uninvited" out of using the ranges at camp Grayling. Range fees at Grayling went from about $100.00 a day to over $1000.00 a day. The pit system at the lake city range now uses an electronic target scoring system which eliminates target pullers in the pits. Bullets have to be going supersonic through the target for the system to register where the bullet went through the target. The hit and score are sent to a receiver on the firing line that records your score and shot location. Since our B.P. ctg. and M/L bullets aren't going anywhere close to supersonic going through the target, our shots won't register. The B.P. long range events are now combined with events that are held at Camp Atterbury [I think] Indiana.

We could easily have a M/L event in Mich........................But getting someone [besides me] to do it is the hard part.

Good Lord! $1,000 a day?

I know, it takes a lot of work and dedication to get a match going, let alone running it. I know 45-70 works his rear off every year for the match at Friendship, along with having to deal with all us knuckleheads.
Very hard to find a long range here in MI. Alpena has one, but its not a great range. It does however go to 600yds.

Our public conservation area ranges used to be $1. Now i think they are upto $4 per booth (2 person max in the booth). Only real negative is if its crowded you are limited to 1hr and have to get back in line.

The range i would like to join is expensive and you have to be sponsored by another member. $500 down and $250 a year. Plus there is a waiting list to join. Only reason i would like it is they have a 600 yard range and silhouettes. I live further away from it now and just cant justify the cost for the few times i would be able to use it per year.

Our public conservation area ranges used to be $1. Now i think they are upto $4 per booth (2 person max in the booth). Only real negative is if its crowded you are limited to 1hr and have to get back in line.

The range i would like to join is expensive and you have to be sponsored by another member. $500 down and $250 a year. Plus there is a waiting list to join. Only reason i would like it is they have a 600 yard range and silhouettes. I live further away from it now and just cant justify the cost for the few times i would be able to use it per year.
How far is Oak Ridge

In all fairness they should use some of the Pittman Robertson tax to build good public ranges every 50 miles. I appreciate how much persons who shoot and don’t hunt contribute to conservation; I do think it is time they got something out of it.

Oh man, Maryland suc
200yd ranges can be found pretty easily, but are not considered long range. Just google your states shooting ranges. You're likely to find one close.
Oh man, Maryland sucks for public ranges. We have em and the one I go to is nice (recently renovated) but even that range is nearly an HR from me and it's only 100 yards.
17109.jpeg

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot, $100 a day...let alone $1000 a day?!!
My local range is a $100 a YEAR for membership. I feel for you folks trying to enjoy some shooting time in areas like that.
(Dear Lord, thank you so much for having me be born in the humble state of Idaho).
The only real upside to my range is it's just $25 for the year for us old folks.. (can't believe I just called myself "old folks" WTH is happening to me?)
Neil

Maryland Rifle Club That will at least get you to 200yds. Actual long range is considered beyond 200yds, but it appears you have few actual long range shooting ranges/clubs.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/ShootingRangesMD.pdf
Just keep checking around. You may have to travel, but just plan a whole day out.
The A.P. Goodrich Rifle and Pistol Club in Ithaca Mich. has a silhouette range that goes out to 500 meters. Covered firing line. Shooting benches provided. The practice silhouettes are always hanging at 200-300-385- and 500 meters. [chicken, pig, turkey, and ram]. I think that regular membership costs $80.00 and seniors $50.00. Every member gets a key. There are some restrictions on shooting times listed on their website. A beautiful and well maintained range.

be worth the drive to shoot the animals once a month maybe
I really could do the same right here at the Alpena range. They told me that they have all the animals, just put up in the back of a shed some place. Any and all organized events stopped, so instead of just leaving them lay around, or to be stolen, the just put them up.
I've really worked hard on the board to get that 600yd range into much better condition, which then events could be held in a fairly nice facility. I take the JD Gator up once a year in the spring and pick up everybody's mess, spending up to 8hrs. It remains in pretty good condition most of the summer, then law enforcement rents the range. You would think that LE would at least take some care of the range, but in all honesty, they're the biggest slob shooters at the club. They will take a target (human) and staple it to one of the 4x4 posts holding up the target backboard. Then shoot the hell out of it with a shotgun. Pick up hulls or brass? LOL

Latest posts

Back