Michigan 1,000yd range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The A.P. Goodrich Rifle and Pistol Club in Ithaca Mich. has a silhouette range that goes out to 500 meters. Covered firing line. Shooting benches provided. The practice silhouettes are always hanging at 200-300-385- and 500 meters. [chicken, pig, turkey, and ram]. I think that regular membership costs $80.00 and seniors $50.00. Every member gets a key. There are some restrictions on shooting times listed on their website. A beautiful and well maintained range.
Thx, thats only about an hour or so from me. I might try there if'n i need to reach out that far.

I really could do the same right here at the Alpena range. They told me that they have all the animals, just put up in the back of a shed some place. Any and all organized events stopped, so instead of just leaving them lay around, or to be stolen, the just put them up.
I've really worked hard on the board to get that 600yd range into much better condition, which then events could be held in a fairly nice facility. I take the JD Gator up once a year in the spring and pick up everybody's mess, spending up to 8hrs. It remains in pretty good condition most of the summer, then law enforcement rents the range. You would think that LE would at least take some care of the range, but in all honesty, they're the biggest slob shooters at the club. They will take a target (human) and staple it to one of the 4x4 posts holding up the target backboard. Then shoot the hell out of it with a shotgun. Pick up hulls or brass? LOL
are the animals 500r steel?

The club I belong to has a 300 yard capable range plus a segregated pistol range to 25 yards. $50 per year. During the week its not very busy as a rule. Its a 30 minute drive but I enjoy the time on the road as much as the shooting.

I really could do the same right here at the Alpena range. They told me that they have all the animals, just put up in the back of a shed some place. Any and all organized events stopped, so instead of just leaving them lay around, or to be stolen, the just put them up.
I've really worked hard on the board to get that 600yd range into much better condition, which then events could be held in a fairly nice facility. I take the JD Gator up once a year in the spring and pick up everybody's mess, spending up to 8hrs. It remains in pretty good condition most of the summer, then law enforcement rents the range. You would think that LE would at least take some care of the range, but in all honesty, they're the biggest slob shooters at the club. They will take a target (human) and staple it to one of the 4x4 posts holding up the target backboard. Then shoot the hell out of it with a shotgun. Pick up hulls or brass? LOL
I'll tell you, I bring a bag with me and dump all my spent patches into it. I never leave the line a mess. I bring my own target stand that I maintain and repair as needed and I take it home with me when I'm done. Maybe it's a military thing,I don't know but I'm always surprised that some young guy will bring three people with him all shooting the same AR clone and they just leave it all on the ground behind them.

are the animals 500r steel?
The silhouettes have been used for high power rifle and black powder ctg. matches for decades. Just put a fresh coat of black paint on them and they look like new. The one practice swinger that hangs at each distance all the time [200-300-385 and 500 meters] ARE NOT armor plate steel. Even though they are an inch thick they still get shot to pieces over time.

all you need is some one to run the matches
The A.P. Goodrich club hosts 2 day B.P. Ctg. silhouette matches every month, April-Sept. This year the April match was cancelled due to the virus. The May match will depend on when the Gov. lifts the ban. Some of our shooters go down to the Friendship sil. matches pretty regularly.

where is this located
The A.P Goodrich R.&P. Club is in Ithaca Mi. If anyone is interested I can arrange to have the match schedule and map sent to you. Great range and great people. Camping allowed at the range or sleep in the clubhouse , no charge. Sight-in on Friday after the animals are set up, 40 shot match both Saturday and Sunday. Shoot either or both days. $25.00 per day. Lots of fun.

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot, $100 a day...let alone $1000 a day?!!
My local range is a $100 a YEAR for membership. I feel for you folks trying to enjoy some shooting time in areas like that.
(Dear Lord, thank you so much for having me be born in the humble state of Idaho).
Seriously, I'd be keeping a close eye on sombody spending $1000 to shoot for one day. Does that price include lunch?
Neil

I didn't remember the cost for a yearly membership at my range correctly. I just recently renewed it, and instead of $100 a year it is actually $60 a year. That cost includes daily fees. It has a trap shooting station, a 50 yard pistol range, and a mainly 100 yard rifle range. The rifle range also has a spot for a few targets at 200, and gongs at 300 and 400.

I didn't remember the cost for a yearly membership at my range correctly. I just recently renewed it, and instead of $100 a year it is actually $60 a year. That cost includes daily fees. It has a trap shooting station, a 50 yard pistol range, and a mainly 100 yard rifle range. The rifle range also has a spot for a few targets at 200, and gongs at 300 and 400.

I wish we had something up here, It Would sure beat me having to Trudge Across/Through 5-6 Feet of Snow in the Winter months to Stake a Target

So glad I live where I do. So much public ground you can shoot as far as your gun can shoot, and it’s all free!! I pack a couple of fold up sawhorses and a 1/4 sheet of 1/2” plywood for a portable bench. A five gallon bucket flipped upside down sits at the perfect height to use as a stool. There is one place I shoot that someone has made two concrete tables. It’s on school trust lands, but free to shoot there

I wish we had something up here, It Would sure beat me having to Trudge Across/Through 5-6 Feet of Snow in the Winter months to Stake a Target
It is convenient, I use it in the winter time and early spring for the sole purpose of avoiding what you just said.
A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to get some shooting in though. I respect you doing that to get in some shooting, but I sure don't envy you. 😝

Back