Midway Sale

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They usually have a 1 or 2 Viper HS for under $300 during the Vortex sales. Best deal of the bunch when they gottem. The Diamondback HP is also. Many of the rest are Chicom or the eye relief is rather poor for a ML.

the eye relief is rather poor for a ML.
The Vanquish eye relief is 3.8" the Diamond Back is 4". Looking at several high $$ Vortex scopes the eye relief is 3.4", 3.6" or 3.8". (Really? .2" difference), Granted the high $$ scopes are probably better than the Vanquish which still has the full lifetime warranty also. I haven't had the time to try out my Vanquish, but I'm not worried about it right now. I believe Mr. Tom put a Vanquish scope on his Patriot rifle and likes it.
They all are China made scopes so there is that....

Diamondback HP is not made in China and its a whopping $200
Similar glass as Vipers (also not made in China)
Parallax Adjustment

Dont forget, relief is often advertised at min magnification. Dial upto max and cheaper scopes often change more. Ive seen a full inch worth of change. And frankly if is was gunna buy a Chicom scope i would get an Athlon or Arken. At least they dial reliably and have glass above their price point.

As far as the Vipers on sale...You can buy a 3-9x42 HD or 3-15x42 SWFA SS in FFP for less. Like well under $500. Made in Japan.

Viper that you will probably need the warranty for $600 or this for under $500?? Kind of a no brainer to me unless illumination is a must.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-3-15x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-107011.html

I bought this one last week but alas it is sold out now.

Amazing deal. Got it for one of my CFs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020461155?pid=439467
Those probably have the best track record of the Vipers as far as holding up on our MLs and SMLs. I think ive seen one guy that busted one. Good value at $250 for a set and forget scope.

All the HS and iirc the HST line of Vipers have the longer eye relief and reticles that are more hunting oriented. Most are just priced too high for what you get. The 4-16 is sometimes available for around $300 but at full price there are better scopes.

Back