Mini Howa 300 blackout so fun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mt. Monkey & Sideshow,

How would you approach putting together a......
1. Bolt-action w/module ignition
2. First class trigger
3. 2.5-3.5 pound triggerpull
4. 120-140 grain BH209 capable
5. RICE patched ball barrel (.66 cal.)
0.672" bore diameter
0.688" groove diameter
1:72" rate of twist
1.125" ×24" straight octagon
Radius crown
6. Laminated stock w/ negative drop at the heel
7. Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad, 1.375"
8. GrovTec Push Button sling swivel bases
9. GrovTec 1" Twist Lock sling swivels
10. Galco RifleMann sling
11. Steel Q-D scope bases & rings
12. Hunting rifle w/a
13. Max weight, scoped & slung of 7.5-8 pounds

Good morning Bruce that sounds like a neat project, I need to know your budget,of course Remington 700 or even a mini howa I like I'm talkin about,there are a lot of gunsmiths that will install a hankins ,, arrowhead plug for you even some barrel companies that will do it if you research it, if it was a barrel nut build you could put it together yourself. Many stock options out there,, you need to build that rifle I'd like to see it

Good morning Bruce that sounds like a neat project, I need to know your budget,of course Remington 700 or even a mini howa I like I'm talkin about,there are a lot of gunsmiths that will install a hankins ,, arrowhead plug for you even some barrel companies that will do it if you research it, if it was a barrel nut build you could put it together yourself. Many stock options out there,, you need to build that rifle I'd like to see it

What is a barrel nut build?

I have no idea what I would spend on a 209 capable, patched ball rifle that could easily reach out to 200 yards. That is why I posed the above question to guys like you that know. Please tell me what a build would cost w/o a scope. Say on the Mini-Howa action?

.are there drawbacks to shooting large loads of bh209 under a prb in a slow twist?

The limiting factor would be the patch.

By going to 0.008" deep, square-bottomed grooves; lapping the bore well; applying a radius crown; and moving to a tightly-woven LINEN patch material; a more than adequate seal can be made so that the patch will resist the added stress of the higher velocity that BH209 is capable of delivering.

The limiting factor would be the patch.

By going to 0.008" deep, square-bottomed grooves; lapping the bore well; applying a radius crown; and moving to a tightly-woven LINEN patch material; a more than adequate seal can be made so that the patch will resist the added stress of the higher velocity that BH209 is capable of delivering.
Id say for that weight goal Mtn Monkey is right on the mini Howa build . Im looking for a Really light Rem 700ml build of 8 to 8.5lb all said and done . Thats pushing it pretty hard for a Rem to stay that light . Not easy !!! Some of the barrel combos wont make that goal , ie: the relined 45 uml barrel and the 50 uml barrel . Those 2 will be heavier . The lightest will be the 54 no doubt . The 40 is the challenge !!! It will fall where it must for safetys sake but not 1oz more !!! I honestly could do real well with just the 54 and the 40 set ups but i figure why not do them all ?? May have 2 , 50 barrels , a RUML and a 700ml job too , IDK . Its just lathe time . All with modual ignition . 1 possibly 2 plugs .

Last edited:
7.62 by 39 I have two of them they both shoot 1/4 inch I had never really looked at that cartridge before again until I shot it in the mini , and you read my rant on the blackout, I really love the rifle

Im just a huge fan of 6.5 in general for deer sized game and the lighter recoil that is possible. Howa and CZ offer it in an afforable package with an action to match the needs of the cartridge. Ive seen the Grendel ammo pretty cheap too. Im still sitting on a unopened crate of Israeli 7.62x39 that was imported way back in the 1980s. Never seen it again. Steel core HP. Rumored to be Mossad issue for covert uses. Quite illegal under the Articles of War though. :p

I really like anything 6.5 but I've had a lot of trouble getting the Grendel to shoot consistently in any platform

Think you could do the Mini-Howa 1500, in a 6.5 SML, that would meet Col. Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle criteria?

1 Meter long
3 Kilos total weight

13" length of pull
18" long barrel
Threaded muzzle, for.....
Muzzle brake, or.....
Suppressor
GrovTec, GTHM289 sling swivel bases
Galco RifleMann sling
Carbon fiber stock

Forward mounted....
Leopold VX-R 1.5-5×33mm Scout scope (30mm tube) FireDot Duplex reticle

Edit to remove Creedmoor from first sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce do you mean a 6.5 bore smokeless muzzleloader? If so I'm not sure that could be done I would be nervous about the narrow bore diameter, much longer powder column,but if you are referring to setting up that mini howa as a scout rifle that's got some potential,

6.5CM is too long for the Mini Howa action. The action was designed around the 223 not 308
graphic_Howa_miniaction-bolts.png

Bruce do you mean a 6.5 bore smokeless muzzleloader? If so I'm not sure that could be done I would be nervous about the narrow bore diameter, much longer powder column,but if you are referring to setting up that mini howa as a scout rifle that's got some potential,

This is where I am learning!!

I was referring to a 6.5mm bore smokeless m-l, not a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Would a longer powder column behind a 6.5 MM bullet result in breech pressures that were too high to be safe?

Remember, Col. Cooper's accuracy criteria for a Scout Rifle differs quite a bit from what most modern shooters think. He only demanded 2MOA out to 300 meters against 400 pound thin-skinned animals, human or 4-legged.

So, a powder charge that will send a 0.264" diameter, 153 grain, Hornady A-Tip Match bullet downrange at 3000 plus feet per second out to 1500 meters is NOT NECESSARY.

A smokeless powder charge that will send that same bullet out to 300 meters with sub-MOA accuracy at reasonable speeds is something that I would be interested in.

Yes the long powder column is the issue,I think on that smile rifle you would be limited to a 40 or 45 Cal if you decided to build scout type rifle, and I would try to use Black Horn even though that small action would handle real light smokeless loads

I'm sure there are others on the site here that could tell you about the dangers of long powder columns

Is it the bolt action that is the weak link do a 6.5mm smokeless m-l?

Swinglock lists 6.5mm, .30 in, .35 caliber, and .416 caliber choices in addition to the usual .45 & .50 caliber choices that are required for most state's muzzleloading hunting seasons.

Edit .40 caliber to .416 caliber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back