Mini howa smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
The mini howa project is going well, shoots very good with black horn decided to also try some light smokeless loads,, this group is 54 grains of h 4198 and a 275 grain black tip fury, also included a picture of the group shooting the 265's yellow tip 453 fury. The gun handles excellent the weight is so much more welcome than a 10 or 11 pound rifle, and I really like the two-stage trigger never thought I would but when you have a little bit of recoil that you're fixing to deal with it gives me a little added feel,this rifle is close to what I think the ideal muzzleloader should be in a hunting rifle format, and again the priming module ,hankins,, doesn't need shimmed or o-ring , handles magnum charges of 209 black horn, and light smokeless loads.

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_184320716.jpg
    IMG_20200801_184320716.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200811_180329306_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200811_180329306_HDR.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200807_185615486_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200807_185615486_HDR.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 26
What is the weight, all up, loaded, and slung, ready to still hunt those Texas creek bottoms?

The mini howa project is going well, shoots very good with black horn decided to also try some light smokeless loads,, this group is 54 grains of h 4198 and a 275 grain black tip fury, also included a picture of the group shooting the 265's yellow tip 453 fury. The gun handles excellent the weight is so much more welcome than a 10 or 11 pound rifle, and I really like the two-stage trigger never thought I would but when you have a little bit of recoil that you're fixing to deal with it gives me a little added feel,this rifle is close to what I think the ideal muzzleloader should be in a hunting rifle format, and again the priming module ,hankins,, doesn't need shimmed or o-ring , handles magnum charges of 209 black horn, and light smokeless loads.
Thats just awesome brotha, I'm so excited & happy for you that this Mini Howa project turned out so well. Very cool for sure.
And THEMS SUM NICE HOOOOOLES RIGHT THERE MAN lol

Big lead scares me,, I'm going to shoot that big hog in the eyeball with my little 275 bullet
I find it a lil funny when ppl think " Big Heavy bullet " for feral hogs. Yes we all love it when big lead goes " SCHWACK ' downrange & critters get bodyslammed by big lead. But I do know that a simple lil ole .22 revolver has put down more hogs & cows than anything else. Many ppl to dropped in their tracks/dead before they hit the ground from a lil ole .22 to the melon. On the farm in my younger days, thats what was used, .22 to the dome & " Good night Irene ". No massive projectile at warp speed needed for all the pigs & the cows too, a lil POP to the pumpkin .22 revolver mostly sometimes the 10/22's came out when they'd get scattered after afew get popped. They ain't dumb lol

D-55 it's a Douglas barrel 1 and 20 twist lightest contour he had,, actually my shank has more diameter than either my arrowhead or my hankins rimage barrel,, still I'm staying with mild loads,, Jeff cut me some PPC modules for my bolt face,,very grateful for the help from preferred barrels I highly recommend them,,

If that shank is at least 1.1" for 4" or more you are way into the safe zone. Im sure you would be safe with any BH209 load you can effectively burn also. Im a huge fan of the Douglas CM barrels. Never had one of there SS barrels though. Just a really nice barrel that are not all that picky and dont cost a fortune either.

The barrel shank is fine ,,I couldn't be more happy with the barrel or the rifle,I've used Douglas builds on a lot of old Mauser builds and Remington 700 centerfire builds when I was a young man I've never had a bad Douglas barrel, this little mini howa rocks

Melvin Forbes has been using Douglas for ages for his Ultra Lights. At the price he charges for them he could use any barrel he wants and still make money. He sells them faster than he can build them. There must be a reason why one of the best ultra light rifle builders in the world chooses Douglas.

No wad,, bullet size to real light one hand seating pressure,,I keep trying wads I haven't tried them with this barrel it just doesn't need it,, so far with my rifles black horn and smokeless guns wads have not made any difference I know other people swear by them

Right at 7 lbs Bruce just a touch over it a few ounces , I really like the rifle can't wait for deer season in between now and then the hogs will be in trouble and it's a round hole killing machine,, as in shooting groups,it's just as accurate as my heavy barreled smokeless guns as long as I let the barrel cool

Looking for Nirvana,, seven to eight and a half pound rifle,, scope sling studs , everything,, hankins or Arrowhead module I will accept nothing else Y'all can have your stainless modules and your 209's or any other priming system available in muzzleloaders today with the brass modules there's no going out and buying a new plug or shims for anything I for one like that I like it a lot my goal the next three years is to build two or three of these rifles not sure when I get through with all of them what I will have accomplished but I just still maintain that there's a tremendous market for them and I think there's a lot of other hunters like me that would enjoy this rifle.

That is my goal for a Scout Rifle build, if it can shoot smokeless powders, so much the better.

Like you, modules (200 each), no 209 primers....

A 16" tapered, .45 caliber barrel, threaded 3/4"-24 for a LR Customs MZ REX 2 muzzle brake....

Carbon fiber composite stock w/Kick-eez Magnum recoil pad, and 12.75" length of pull....

GrovTec, GTHM289, Heavy Duty, Push Button, black oxide coated S.S., 9/16"-18 threaded, sling swivel bases

GrovTec, GTSW287, Heavy Duty, Recessed Plunger, Push Button, 1 1/4" wide, black oxide coated, sling swivels

Slogan, Ultraflex, Rifleman's sling

A lightweight, bolt-action, single-shot receiver....

Perhaps, the new LR Customs bolt-action reciever?....

Fully adjustable trigger w/ 2.5-3 lb. trigger pull....

Back