Mini howa smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Defiance does have a trimmed down SS action for those with deep pockets. I think the trimmed down SS is still a $1000ish action though. It is however very light for a SS action.
https://defiancemachine.com/actions/anTi/
  • 20.6 oz complete action weight in Medium
  • 20.8 oz complete action weight in XM
  • 22.2 oz complete action weight in Long
  • Receiver made of pre-hardened aircraft-certified 416 stainless steel with integral recoil lug.
  • 4340 chrome moly bolt made in one operation, enabling guaranteed headspace +/- .001″
  • SHORT ACTION (Model 7™ Length) – $995
    MEDIUM ACTION (Model 700™ SA Length) – $995

Last edited:
And, if money is no object, since I am just spit balling here........

A Swarovski, Z6i, 2-12×50mm, Gen 2, BT (ballistic turret), 4A-I illuminated reticle, 19oz., 3.74" fixed eye relief, 2nd focal plane, rifle scope w/30mm tube

Several other scopes in the Z6i lineup come in at under 16oz.

I'm becoming a fan of shorter barreled muzzleloaders anyhow I'm convinced that most of those magnum black horn loads you're just blowing powder out on the ground anyway I sure don't believe you're getting any kind of efficiency out of shooting a magnum load of black horn 209,, I understand chasing ultimate velocity but for me with black horn I'm pretty much set on 80 or 84 grains by weight I can't stand the recoil of much more than that,,this rifle with 54 grains of h-4198 is a lot more comfortable than shooting 84 grains of black horn,,when I first saw the muzzle break I thought,,that won't do much,,to relieve recoil,, however,it is just enough to make the gun manageable,,so no wonder take needed,,I like the minimalist approach on a build like this

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_164817087_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200731_164817087_HDR.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14
84gr by weight of BH209 is easily good for 2100fps with a 275-300gr bullet with a 27" barrel Knight. Pretty sure 110gr by volume does that. LRMP will get you a little more FPS. A bunch of good scores at NMLRA inline matches have been achieved with that very same limitation. That is plenty to wack deer out to 200yd or more with the right bullets.

I just looked at the anti defiance action. It looks just like what I have in mind, except that I think I would have defiance incorporate a set of integral, 5 M.O.A., low-profile, STANAG, scope bases into the action.

That way you never have you worry about screws on the bases loosening up. The slight extra weight will be offset by the lack of the screws weight, for a slight weight savings.

I think that's a great idea I've got a set of tally bass/rings one piece that they sent should have that gun together in maybe three months I'll sure keep you updated

That anti defiance action is what I'm building the next gun on with a graphite wrapped 45 cal barrel.
Which length Defiance anti action are you choosing for this build?

Will you be using a modified Defiance bolt, or someone else's bolt in the Defiance action?

What/whose modules will you be using?

Bruce I used a short action Remington foot print model, I believe they also offered a model 7 but I chose the short action Remington just because it gave me more options for additions like scope bases , stocks etc, I'm using a defiance bolt that comes with the gun and hankins breach plugs and modules, I would be comfortable using Arrowhead module but I won't build a rifle or have one put together in the future without using the brass modules whether they're hankins or Arrowhead to me it is the superior priming system available to American shooters

That looks great can you put it in a more traditional open grip stock also I'm assuming you could, That's the kind of rifle I'm looking for.!! Very nice!!

yeah, of course, it could go in a different stock. Just as long as the forend is big enough to fit the barrel contour. You could shave a little weight with a more minimalistic stock. That Alpine Hunter weighs 32oz. Not that I would really want to go any lighter. This customer is putting a NF ATACR on it, so in the end, won't really be that light of rig.

Just finished this 300PRC build for a customer. 9# 6oz with a Leupold Mark5HD 5-25x56 on it. I used the aluminum brake that PVA sells on this one. Kind of surprising, but the anodizing has held up well on them for me. And they're super light and much cheaper than Ti brakes.

300prc.jpg

well I think a lot of guys that are looking at smokeless muzzleloading and like to hunt would be much better served with a rifle like that than one of the big guns, Nice work!!

Back