Minies and other tough casts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Euroarms 1863 Remington has quite an appetite for big lead minies.
They are a pain to cast though. I opened the hole in the sprue plate to match the meplat of the bullet, as many sources suggest to do.
There was improvement, but still WAY too many culls.
The other day I noticed how small the hole is in my ball ladle and thought that can't be good. So I opened it to 5/16 and now I'm casting more and better minies. The molds are a Lyman 5752130S and an Ideal 575213.
The only thing is my Remington needs at least a .580 diameter. Even though undersized, both minies shoot well. Usually under 3 inches for 3 at 50 yards.
I'm turning this rifle into a hunter for hogs and bear. The fast 2nd shot possible with a proper minie could come in handy! I'll be using paper cartridges too.

I keep saying i am gonna look for a Decent Sized Lead Pot, get my Ladles Back out JUST for the Practice (Try and Master it) there is NO WAY i Can Cast Nicer Bullets than i do with my Bottom Pour Pots, But i would like to MAKE MYSELF Learn how to Ladle Cast, JUST BECAUSE :)

I cast a lot of 500gr 45’s that are 1.4” long.
Also cast a 850gr conical (12ga) with a cavity base (like a minie).
I’ve never modify my ladle or a spru plate.
Once my mold gets hot (20 or so bullets - the lead will puddle for 5+ seconds on the spru before it solidifies) the wrinkles go away and good bullets are being cast.
My pots easily holds 50# of lead.

I cast a lot of 500gr 45’s that are 1.4” long.
Also cast a 850gr conical (12ga) with a cavity base (like a minie).
I’ve never modify my ladle or a spru plate.
Once my mold gets hot (20 or so bullets - the lead will puddle for 5+ seconds on the spru before it solidifies) the wrinkles go away and good bullets are being cast.
My pots easily holds 50# of lead.

I am sure I would like a Larger Pot like you speak of here, Something besides these tiny little RCBS Things. I also used one of my Old 20 Pound Pots the last time i had my Ladles out, i stil didn’t like it, To Small

I guess that is a Waage i posted in the Link Above? I just looked again, and it doesn’t actually Say Waage

IMG_0003.JPG My Waage on the right holds as much or more than my RCBS on the left . I'll have to look and see which model it is. Plenty big for ladle casting.

Stil looks AWFUL little to me? I think i would like a 50 pounder like 52bore speaks of. The Waage looks no different in Size than my Lee 20 pound pots, unless I’m seeing it wrong?

When i tried Ladle Casting, i felt “Cramped” for room with the 20 Pound Lee Pot, I struggled with that! I would Rather have a Shallower, Wider Pot, Where i could Corner the Mold in the Molten Lead if/when needed and Pour, With the Ladle stil being over the Lead, This was my problem with my Lee 20 Pound Pot, I didn’t have enough Room. It was an UNCOMFORTABLE Feeling to me, Monkey/Football Thing :D

I just went and found 52bores Lead pot, This is what I think i would prefer, a LARGER Pot like this, and HEAVY DUTY Propane Burner designed to hold the Weight, a 100 Pound Lead Pot Wouldn’t be to Big in my Opinion, as long as it was WIDE, And the Burner HEAVY DUTY Enough to Support it, BACO Sells a Few really HEAVY DUTY Burners just for this sorta thing
https://www.buffaloarms.com/bullet-casting-supplies/casting-furnaces

52bores Setup
R3fGWUj.jpg

Something like a Mid size Dutch Oven Sitting on a SUPER HEAVY Duty Propane Burner is what i would prefer :lewis:

I just went and found 52bores Lead pot,
52bores Setup
R3fGWUj.jpg
Nothing fancy. I open my garage door and start casting. The white piece is a wind/breeze deflector for the flame. Also, my spot to lay bullets will hold 100 or so. That a sufficient casting session for me most of the time.
Note the slag pile from skimming off the top each time I heat up.
I timed my casting mAny times and cast 150/hr and 100/hr with a HP of base plug mold. All my molds are signed cavity.
Sure is rewarding and sometimes therapy...

IMG_0048.JPG Yes it is about the same as your Lee 20lb pot. I guess you could always use what I use for pouring ingots, no Closter phobia here:

I use a small cast iron kettle about two quart I would guess, on a small two burner propane camp stove with my ladle. I have problems with my Lee bottom pour pot spout getting clogged up with, oxide I guess, looks a little like rust. I’ll get half way through a batch and then it clogs. I’ve completely emptied and disassembled it and drilled the spout out, not bigger, just to clean it. It’ll go fine for a while and then plug up again. I think a 10” Dutch oven on a camp chef would be perfect.

I use a small cast iron kettle about two quart I would guess, on a small two burner propane camp stove with my ladle. I have problems with my Lee bottom pour pot spout getting clogged up with, oxide I guess, looks a little like rust. I’ll get half way through a batch and then it clogs. I’ve completely emptied and disassembled it and drilled the spout out, not bigger, just to clean it. It’ll go fine for a while and then plug up again. I think a 10” Dutch oven on a camp chef would be perfect.
Drilling the spout out a lil bigger cured my problems with clogging.

Latest posts

Back