Minwax Antique Oil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm about halfway done finishing my Renegade and walnut Hawken stock with this product.
I used Citrus strip to get through whatever it was TC put on back in the day. It worked VERY well.
Regarding the minwax. I must say it's the ABSOLUTE BEST finish I've ever used.
It's easily applied, really brings out the quality of the wood and fills grain fairly quickly and doesn't have much tendency to run. The wood absorbs it right quick!
Both stocks have 3 coats and are really looking good. I cut back to wood between coats so as to fill up the pores. I think 1 or 2 coats will do nicely and then it'll be time for finish coats.
It goes on easy as BLO, fills like Tru Oil but gives a better finish that either.
I read about it on several sites and decided to give it a try. The factory finish was muddy and was hiding some pretty grain on the Renegade.
The Hawken was one I had for sale. Nobody wanted it, so it was my experimental attempt.
Well! The grain that stock had under the factory goo is some of the prettiest I've ever seen on a factory rifle. Will have pics when finished. I have enough parts to make a complete Hawken...
Minwax Antique Oil. GOOD stuff!!!

I have never used the Antique Oil but have been quite happy with various Minwax products for over 40 years.

Hi All
I'm about halfway done finishing my Renegade and walnut Hawken stock with this product.
I used Citrus strip to get through whatever it was TC put on back in the day. It worked VERY well.
Regarding the minwax. I must say it's the ABSOLUTE BEST finish I've ever used.
It's easily applied, really brings out the quality of the wood and fills grain fairly quickly and doesn't have much tendency to run. The wood absorbs it right quick!
Both stocks have 3 coats and are really looking good. I cut back to wood between coats so as to fill up the pores. I think 1 or 2 coats will do nicely and then it'll be time for finish coats.
It goes on easy as BLO, fills like Tru Oil but gives a better finish that either.
I read about it on several sites and decided to give it a try. The factory finish was muddy and was hiding some pretty grain on the Renegade.
The Hawken was one I had for sale. Nobody wanted it, so it was my experimental attempt.
Well! The grain that stock had under the factory goo is some of the prettiest I've ever seen on a factory rifle. Will have pics when finished. I have enough parts to make a complete Hawken...
Minwax Antique Oil. GOOD stuff!!!
Ive done ALOT with wood over the years and thats really nice stuff !!! Your doing it right too !!! Amazes me they use a stain , contains solids that hide grain , over a product like this one . Nice to hear you took the plunge on this rifle . I LOVE doing that . Water based or alcohol based wood DYE is the way to go if you wanna change colors of wood . You can even put it on and carefully sand and get outstanding two or three toned effects without obscureing the grain at all !!! Put down different colors and sand a bit . Thats it !!! Very cool .
I also like a bowling alley finish and other uses too product called "Fabulon" available through Sherwin Williams stores . Stuff is INDESTRUCTABLE !!!

Thought I'd follow up.
I used this on my Firehawk stock as well, and after a season of fairly heavy use, I can say it held up very well. Cap blast did wear it a bit around the priming area, but that is expected. A couple light scratches were easily dealt with by simply appling more and rubbing it in. We got lightly spritzed on and it didn't water spot or go milky.
I remain happy with Minwax Antique Oil

Latest posts

Back