Mirage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HC

Reaction score
Just wandering how shooters deal with mirage during hot weather?

It seems we just have to deal with it. Some say a sunshade on the scope will help a little but I still have trouble. I shoot over a lot of sand, which heats up quickly and the mirage starts quickly. I couldn't even find holes in a target at long range with the spotting scope, a Vortex Viper HD at Sunday's range session, which was early.

Mirage comes from 2 places. One from down range, not much you can do but learn to read it (Like 45-70 states) and really pay attention to it.The other Place is from barrel heat. When I shot Benchrest we used several things to combat this last one. We would use Strips of targets, Venetian Blinds, corrugated plastic, old Xrays, etc. Cut a strip long enough for the length of the barrel from just under the scopes objective lens to muzzle. Then attaching to 2 pieces of Velcro. needs to be wide enough to direct the heat waves out past the lens in the scope, so 2 to 3". Sun shades only do so much but can't get rid of it all. There used to be a company that made a frosted tube that was real long. I personally would not use one of those as the Wind blowing against it can affect the scope, if your unsure about this put the rifle in your bags and while holding the rifle still press on the side of the objective lens. We only used the standard 2 or 3" sun shades that came with our scopes because of this. Some ranges have boards painted with horizontal, alternating Black and white stripes to assist in reading the mirage, it can help with reading the mirage.

So, when the mirage is up and right, do you compensate with a low left hold?

that or adjust your sight or scope. learning how much is key

Thanks for sharing the snipers mirage -tip-week. I’ve read it3 times and each time I have a better understanding. Hope to apply some tips next hot range session.:lewis:

I have shot BPCR Matches at Friendship when wind is going one direction and mirage will switch to opposite. Sometimes mirage is 2 moa or more

Back