MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdog

Reaction score
Why is the MK-85 considered the better gun compared to the LK-93?

I am mainly talking about the pre-green mountain barrel mk-85s. I think they are superior to the LK-93s in barrel quality, stock quality with many stock options, triggers and in fit and finish. The older mk-85s were built by craftsmen.
Once they started mass producing them using a one piece receiver/barrel like the LK-93s the differences weren't as evident.
I'm not saying the LK-93 is a bad rifle, it's just a notch below the MK-85 in my opinion.

Not with 100 percent accuracy. Serial numbers are not always in chronological order. If your barrel has six land and grooves I think you can be confident it's not a green mountain. Some have the Allen screw that locks the barrel in place. A couple of my rifles with SS Wiseman barrels you can tell that the receiver and barrel have different percentages of nickel by using a magnet.

I think the first one piece barreled action was the LK-93 and the MK-85s were produced as one piece shortly after.

I think the first one piece barreled action was the LK-93 and the MK-85s were produced as one piece shortly after.
I have never seen a MK-85 that was a 1 piece barrel and reciever. Not saying it never happened. Just never seen 1, and I gave seem a bunch of Knight ML

I have owned three MK 85 Knight rifles and still have two. I have never seen a MK in one piece. All of mine are 2 pieces If Anyone owns a one piece MK and can post a photo, I would be interested.

I've owned 7 MK's, all were one piece. Still have 4. All have been GM barrels.
Are you assuming the square receiver is automatically separate from the barrel? Mine are not. I have seen a real old one that was, I think it was a Wiseman but can't recall for sure.

I have both the MK-85 and a LK-II that I bought for my grandson to use back when he was 7 years old. The LK-II has a 22” barrel and I think it’s about 2” shorter plunger to muzzle.

I also bought a youth stock for it which knocked off another 2”.

Is the LK-II the same as the LK-93 or are they different? Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_4f0.jpeg

Back