Ml2, vvn120,300 grn.thors.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Good morning all. At it again, as new muzzleloaders are too far out. Got thor 5 pack seemed as though the .502 was gooing to be the ticket. Ordered up a 50 pack. Cleaned muzzleloader up good and awaited new bullets. In 2 days they were here and i was shooting only to find terrible accuracy and some squib loads. Not enough back pressure. I then shot the living hell out of it with a bunch of saboted bullets trying to get barrel dirty again. Shot another 50 pluss rounds in a few hours. Acoarse no accuracy , just trying to get bore dirty again. Then i shot the thor .502 again with same results, no accuracy and some squib loads, changed to 3 different powders, not good. Again not enough back pressure. Just ordered a 20 pack of thor .503, should be here today. Going to stick with vvn120, any load reccomendations out there? Thanks for reading and any input. Getting to hate this gun. Also switching back to win.209 primers, been using cci's and getting a super lot of blow back around primers. Are the o rings talked about in this web site, to be put around the primer itself to take care of head spacing problems i have??? Thanks again.

Guys who have tried the Thors in MLII used faster powers like N110 and a 250gr Thor. When the Thor leaves the barrel pressure needs to have dropped enough that it does not damage the skirt.

So keep N120 loads on the lower end. You should be able to start around 56gr. Reloder7 is a little bit easier to ignite and needs less pressure if you want to try another powder.

You can not o-ring a MLII plug. There is no shelf in them without adding a bushing. The OEM plug just has a small lip. You can however order a MLII plug from Precision Rifle Bullet that does have a shelf. Problem is you may need to reheadspace your barrel and then the sights/thimble will be rotated. Its possible you could use the PR plug and the shortest 209 primer. That MIGHT be enough.

You can add a shim or 2 in the OEM plugs primer pocket. They will catch on the lip.

Thank you guys. I need to add a little more information. I have only the following powders, vvn110, vvn120, aa2015, aa5744, and very little sr4759. I am shooting a asg033 savage bushing plug from arrowhead rifles. I do not know what you mean by shimming the primer pocket? Thanks as always....oh i was wondering if the felt wad would work with the thor bullets as they are a very concave design?

As far as the felt wad, I can't say for certain that they will work with the Thors. A lot of guys use them particularly in the break open guns using 209 primers. Mainly because in the break opens you aren't pushing the bullet as fast as you are in the inline smokeless guns and you want to give the bullet a good kick from the get go for obturation. They also make Veggie Wads which are very stiff compared to the Wool Wads. Guys do use them with sabots also so they might very well work with the Thors.

Thank you RP. Will get some, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I also found some threads about shimming primer pockets. Great reading, going to give it a try if there is a shelf in the breechplug.

And yes i found out about the carbon in the breech plug. Over time it was like steel. I read the savage manual and it talked about using a drill bit, 5/32, i think. So i chucked it in a cordless and drilled it out. Wow never seen anything like that. The carbon was built up bad and was harder than hell to drill out. So i thank you again and will try these new things out....

Be cautious if using N110 and a 300gr sabotless. Its better suited to a 250gr bullet because it will make way more peak pressure than N120 will.

I dont think a wad is gunna help at all. The wad will just get shoved into the cupped base. What might help is a MMP Magnum Sub Base but ive never tried it. They might get shoved into the base and stuck too.
https://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb-ballistic-bridge-sub-base50-pcs/
Just a FYI, Savage warns about NOT USING full bore bullets or sub bases. Sabots ONLY with the smokeless load data so use this info at your own risk.

Alittle update for my 10ml2. Ready for a change, been awhile, going to kick this olde girl out of the flock, down the road...

Some of the 10MLII barrels just won't shoot, no matter what you do. Mine was one of them. I also believe the threads in the receiver were not cut true for the barrel. It took a total of three different barrels for me to come to this conclusion. Long story short, it now shoots accurately with no blow back around primers.....after spending hundreds more on it. I have also rebuilt two 700ML's with none of the problems of the 10MLII.

I purchased a savage 110 tactical last year, in 6.5 creedmore. Always had feed issues. Took the barrel off of it and used precision rifes barrel and dolt head. Just got first 10 shots through it, barrel break in. Excellent results but using lower power loads, 50 grs. Weighed of reloader 7 and 310 saboted bullets from cecil. So far so good. Gotta do load work up..thx.Danno

Back