Mockery!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1669446950995.jpg

I've hunted this area a few times this year with my bow. Each time out I've seen deer, but they've just been out of range. Sometimes when I get back to the truck I'll get a notification that the camera took a pic and there's a deer right where I was. This time I think they've gone too far with their mockery of me!!

Last year I had a doe go past me with regularity at 140 yards. She would stop in a clearing and look dead at me. I believe the smart ones know most everything about how and when I come and go. I believe that within seconds of my departure one of them throws up a table, another covers it with a cloth, and they gather around as someone deals the cards. They know what I had for diner and when was the last time I relieved myself of bodily functions.

This I think is why many hunters fail. They simply dont give the animal enough credit for intelligence. Think of it this way, if someone is hunting you with the intention of putting you in the freezer what preventative measures do you employ and how do you change your life to survive????

But they make mistakes, They get horny, hungry, thirsty, crappy weather, that throws them of schedule and every once in a while you and I are there to catch them. When Half Cocked was hunting with me I told him by the way the deer were acting I think there was a good buck living in the pines 130 yards from my deer blind. The does were nervous and any bucks going that way soon came back. They weren't welcome in that area. The morning I shot him at 8:30 he was probably returning from a night out with a hot to trot little babe. After he finished defiling her he wanted to get back to his safe space. I just happened to be in his way.

Hang in there, as long as you keep hunting they will make mistakes. But keep your mistakes to a minimum and that will help.

:)

Last edited:
View attachment 28048

I've hunted this area a few times this year with my bow. Each time out I've seen deer, but they've just been out of range. Sometimes when I get back to the truck I'll get a notification that the camera took a pic and there's a deer right where I was. This time I think they've gone too far with their mockery of me!!
That looks like a huge doe !

Been there done that.
If your stand has been in the same location for a while, they have your location down. move it 25 or 30 yards.
It was more of a joke actually. I hang and hunt different locations each time. I've had them come pretty close to where this particular camera is, but either just out of bow range or behind enough cover that I wouldn't take a shot.

The next time I hunt that location will probably be three weeks from the last time I was there.

Latest posts

Back