Modern Journal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years ago my daughter got me a nice leather bound journal. It sat for a while on my nightstand, but I never put it to use. One day, back in December, as I sat deer hunting I started daydreaming about the longhunters and the like. That daydream turned into a plan.

I have studied wilderness survival since my pre-teens. To me it was just camping. I never realized that fishing or trappig for the days meal, or browsing on berries and edible grasses constituted survival. That was simply how we stayed gone all day without coming home for lunch! I always loved the movie "My Side of the Mountain ". I've spent weeks at a time out tin the woods in my later teens, and then after the Army.

That day hunting, I decided to try minimalist survival with period style gear! Notice I said style. Although I have the upmost respect for living history and re-enactors, that isn't my goal. I want to do a 2 week trip using items similar to late 1800s-early 1900s. Not period correct, but materials and technology of the Era.

This is where the journal comes in. But, I am writing the journal as a middle aged city fella from the early 1900s that has decided to adventure while he still can. The info I gain from research is noted as conversations with travelers through my area. I also am making notes of new skills and new gear and learning how to use it, as tho I've never done it before (BP rifle and revolver, backpack, how to use flint/steel, notes on edibles that are "safe" to eat with novice drawings of such. And the only items I will use will be what I can find in the research and have it in my journal.

This is more for fun and to pass on to my grandkids. But I'm curious if any of you do the same, such as a journal for your LH persona.

Back