Modified Patriot Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The primers shot in the patriot rifle were leaking a lot of soot right through. Being how this bothered the shooter a lot, a fix was sought.

The primer sat right on a 0.035" flash hole, or/and a 0.039" flash hole depending on the plug. This seemed to be too large and/or too close. This flash hole was drilled out to 5/32" which then became a short 5/32" flame channel. The powder end of the plug was drilled, and tapped so a hollow lock nut could be installed. A 0.375" long x 1/4" diameter tungsten carbide bushing was placed into the plug, and locked in place with hollow lock nut.

IMG_4971.JPG

Photo shows the fouled plug after six shots this morning.

Another issue was the head space provided by the breech plug was so large, much blow by went around the primers. Beings how this bothered the shooter a lot, a fix was sought. A simple, perhaps temporary, solution was the addition of an o-ring into the primer socket; seen in the photo.

IMG_4970.JPG

The six primers shot this morning.

IMG_4968.JPG

The Woodman Arms Patriot rifle was loaded, and shot with 95 grain Blackhorn powder, poly wad, 265g Fury STB bullet, Federal 209A primer six times this morning.

IMG_4967.JPG

Being a near direct dump, that flash hole should last long time assuming the bushing holds together. I bet it ignites BH209 under the most sever conditions too. If/When my NULA plug needs a new hole i will probably just use a vent liner to try and retain as much channel volume as possible.

How do compare the patriot to the ultra lite ron

They weigh the same when ready to hunt.

The Knight has a better recoil pad.

The Patriot is prettier

The Patriot comes to the shoulder better; feels better whilst off hand aiming.

Knight has a better trigger.

Patriot action works nicely, and parts fit nicely.

Knight double safety perhaps better than a trigger blocking button?

Both rifles have head space issues.

The fun part is they are both nice rifles..............

I had similar issues with blowby when using the Winchester w209 primers. I used the cci 209M primers and blowby was eliminated. If I recall correctly, Mark recommended Remington STS primers.
Nice shooting Ron! I have yet to get my rifle to group that tight. Is your rifle a 1 in 20?BTW, I kinda stink at shooting.

If a CCI had less blowby than a Win209 that tells me they seal like the old MLII plugs....On the side and not the nose because a Win209 is longer but the CCI is larger OD. A RemSTS is even shorter still.

Do you think bestill will make a breech plug for the Woodman Patriot with a removable vent liner?

I am seriously considering one of these guns in a 20 gauge smoothbore, and would want the most trouble free breech plug possible.

The Patriot action is so slick, it encourages one to take it out shooting.

The goal this morning was to try at 200 yard. Alas there were campers. Went elsewhere, and was able to get out 189 yard; settled for that.

Load was the same as yesterday 95g Blackkhorn, poly wad, smooth sized Fury 265g STB, Federal 209A primer. Dialed up 5¾ moa. Shot three at top target.

IMG_4972.JPG

Decided it would be fun to try a water bottle out 300 yard. Loaded everything up, and moved to a more open area, hoping for no campers; no cows. Carried the bottle filled with water out 300 yard or so. It measured 315 yard from the rifle muzzle. Turned elevation dial up 13 moa, and let fly.

VIDEO

The bullet looked to hit low, and right; aimed high, and left, and touched the trigger.

VIDEO2

All five primers sparkle.

IMG_4977.JPG

The Patriot action is so slick, it encourages one to take it out shooting.

The goal this morning was to try at 200 yard. Alas there were campers. Went elsewhere, and was able to get out 189 yard; settled for that.

Load was the same as yesterday 95g Blackkhorn, poly wad, smooth sized Fury 265g STB, Federal 209A primer. Dialed up 5¾ moa. Shot three at top target.

IMG_4972.JPG

Decided it would be fun to try a water bottle out 300 yard. Loaded everything up, and moved to a more open area, hoping for no campers; no cows. Carried the bottle filled with water out 300 yard or so. It measured 315 yard from the rifle muzzle. Turned elevation dial up 13 moa, and let fly.

VIDEO

The bullet looked to hit low, and right; aimed high, and left, and touched the trigger.

VIDEO2

All five primers sparkle.

IMG_4977.JPG
YOU shot that poor bottle's top right off!!

GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shooting. I need to try your setup.

Bruce, For a removable ventliner breech plug just call Mark. He has them. I have one. I am a bit confused on the swap to a 20 guage. The current muzzleloader action does not require a 4473 form. Maybe I misunderstand fed. Regs? My point of view is from the tc encore/contender action.

Last edited:
I am ignorant of the significance of the flat primer anvil. What does it signify, excess pressure?

Take one look at your shotshells after firing. Are the primer anvils flattened? Even the hottest loads ive shot did not flatten a primer anvil and im sure they are much hotter than that load.

Dangerous pressures, probably not but i would say its close to what the primer is gunna handle in that plug. There basically is no flash channel volume to compress so the primer takes it all. Smaller firing pin hole helps a ton. The primer may flow back into a larger hole and possibly leak.

Last edited:
Nice shooting. I need to try your setup.

Bruce, For a removable ventliner breech plug just call Mark. He has them. I have one. I am a bit confused on the swap to a 20 guage. The current muzzleloader action does not require a 4473 form. Maybe I misunderstand fed. Regs? My point of view is from the tc encore/contender action.
In an earlier thread re the Patriot rifle, Mark indicated that he had made (1-2?) 20 gauge, 0.620" bore diameter, prototype black powder/BH209 barrels to fit on the current Patriot frame.

And, if I was willing to wait as long as it might take, he would be willing to order/fabricate such a barrel for me.

At my age, 66, with lousy eyesight, a peep-sighted, 20 bore shooting either BH209, or Swiss ffg black powder, makes more sense than a rifle.

Since I want to try to return to either still hunting, or ground blind hunting (no elevated stands for me), a smoothbore that can shoot both shot (lead & non-toxic), and a 0.616" diameter, pure lead, 350.399 grain, patched ball will be far more versatile than a rifle would be.

Something most people don't know...

Out to 50 yards, the AVERAGE smoothbore, flint or percussion, will more than hold its own against a rifle.

1" groups off the bench are very common, with 2" the average. That is more than sufficient for big game hunting. A particular barrel may favor...

1. PATCHED BALL
powder, lubed patch, ball

2. BARE BALL, TOW WAD
powder, lubed tow, ball, lubed tow

3. PAPER CARTRIDGE BALL
powder, brown paper cartridge
surrounding ball

4. WADDED BALL
powder, nitro card wad, ball, over
shot card wad

5. WASP NEST WADDED BALL
powder, wasp nest, ball, wasp nest

6. BARE BALL, BLANKET WAD
powder, ball, 100% wool blanket wad

Patched balls usually require a ball diameter 0.005" under bore diameter. Sometimes, less.

Bare ball, and wadded ball loads usually require a ball diameter that is at least 0.015" under bore diameter.

Tow originally was the left over fibers from the flax plant from the process of making linen. Today, the best flax tow comes from Belgium, $22.00/lb.

Hemp tow, from Canada, $22.00/lb, is also available.

Both can be had from Flax4Sale.com

Some shooters, elect to unravel either jute, or sisal rope that is untreated.

Any of the four fibers will work as wadding, and may also be used to clean the smoothbore with the use of a tow worm.

Latest posts

Back