Mold for a 22 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for opinions /suggestions on a 7-800 yd mold 45 cal ,will be using my 20-1 alloy . Have several 18 twist but this is a 1st in a 22 twist /shooting 1 1/2 and 2F OE 85-90 grains /Thanks Ed

Looking for opinions /suggestions on a 7-800 yd mold 45 cal ,will be using my 20-1 alloy . Have several 18 twist but this is a 1st in a 22 twist /shooting 1 1/2 and 2F OE 85-90 grains /Thanks Ed

I just did some playing around with the 1:22 Twist in JBM Stability. This bullet right here lines up BEAUTIFULLY, As good as you can get. 1.5 in the Green is the Number to Shoot for. This will give you some idea anyway, Bullet length to Weight you need to Stabilize in the 1:22 Twist
https://www.buffaloarms.com/442-dia...pure-lead-cup-base-bullet-box-of-50-ppb442530
Here it is in the Twist Calculator, with 85-90 Grains of OE you should be in the 1,400 Fps Range
qFVmnkU.jpg

I just did some playing around with the 1:22 Twist in JBM Stability. This bullet right here lines up BEAUTIFULLY, As good as you can get. 1.5 in the Green is the Number to Shoot for. This will give you some idea anyway, Bullet length to Weight you need to Stabilize in the 1:22 Twist
https://www.buffaloarms.com/442-dia...pure-lead-cup-base-bullet-box-of-50-ppb442530
Here it is in the Twist Calculator, with 85-90 Grains of OE you should be in the 1,400 Fps Range
qFVmnkU.jpg
I"m looking for a 20-1 alloy not pure , I guess Accurate can not make this mold (nose profile /cupped base ) but thanks for giving me some numbers to look for /Ed

I
I"m looking for a 20-1 alloy not pure , I guess Accurate can not make this mold (nose profile /cupped base ) but thanks for giving me some numbers to look for /Ed
I think this old Tom Ballard mold might work forgot I had it but you mentioned .442 and I started digging .442 and probably 1.268-1.270 /it"s cupped and you see the profile ,patched (9LB onion)and .451 is what it ends up being . The Paramount is alledged to be slightly larger @452.5 . Think I could patch it up , Do those demensions come close to what you had ? I don"t have those tables or the brains :think: Thanks Ed

I

I think this old Tom Ballard mold might work forgot I had it but you mentioned .442 and I started digging .442 and probably 1.268-1.270 /it"s cupped and you see the profile ,patched (9LB onion)and .451 is what it ends up being . The Paramount is alledged to be slightly larger @452.5 . Think I could patch it up , Do those demensions come close to what you had ? I don"t have those tables or the brains :think: Thanks Ed

That Bullet is right in there Ed :lewis: It should shoot really well in that 1:22 Twist

About any heavy around 500gr should do well.
My original Alex Henry with a 1:24 shot well as I won the NMLRA silhouette National with it many years as well as Oak Ridge at 600 a few times.
It will be interesting to see if the short QLA in the Paramount will effect conicals like the do in many T/C’s.
I’ve never had as good results in my ML with OE as I do with Swiss.
Good Luck
Keep us posted.

My original Alex Henry with a 1:24 shot well as I won the NMLRA silhouette National with it many years as well as Oak Ridge at 600 a few times.
It will be interesting to see if the short QLA in the Paramount will effect conicals like the do in many T/C’s.
Good Luck
Keep us posted.
soon as the temp gets above 20 ,and I get done plowing 9 inch in the AM and almost forgot .I"ll have bullets but the gun won"t show till the end of the week/Ed

Good Luck
Keep us posted.
I do have that BACO 443 -530 gr Elliptical I used to shoot in the Sharps74 but I thought it might be to heavy .Shot that in a 34 inch Badger 18 twist ,it runs patched @ 450-451 . Might not need a mold if a 22 twist will work ?

Last edited:
I do have that BACO 443 -530 gr Elliptical I used to shoot in the Sharps 84 but I thought it might be to heavy .Shot that in a 34 inch Badger 18 twist ,it runs patched @ 450-451 . Might not need a mold if a 22 twist will work ?

I have that exact same Bullet, Plugging it in the Twist Calculator it is a GREEN Light Go in the 1:22 Twist, 1.5 is the Military Standard for Stability, 1.488 is RIGHT There :lewis: I have no doubt it will Shoot this Bullet, I would be Surprised if it didn’t
3DPU42F.jpg

I do have that BACO 443 -530 gr Elliptical I used to shoot in the Sharps 84 but I thought it might be to heavy .Shot that in a 34 inch Badger 18 twist ,it runs patched @ 450-451 . Might not need a mold if a 22 twist will work ?

And here it is at .450 Diameter (Patched) It doesn’t get any better than this, according to the JBM Twist Calculator anyway. It doesn’t change that much from .443 to .450, What little it does is for the Better. We know a Bullet Changes it Shape to some Degree when Fired, ”Bumps up” So these Numbers are for Reference, They will be VERY Close :lewis:
2Nbp3qd.jpg

And here it is at .450 Diameter (Patched) It doesn’t get any better than this, according to the JBM Twist Calculator anyway. It doesn’t change that much from .443 to .450, What little it does is for the Better. We know a Bullet Changes it Shape to some Degree when Fired, ”Bumps up” So these Numbers are for Reference, They will be VERY Close :lewis:
2Nbp3qd.jpg
Sure glad someone knows , I"m assuming 20-1 works no matter what it gets shot out of C Sharps that I no longer own or the Paramount in the mail . The Bergara barrel is suposed to be 042.5 , I don"t see groove demension tho . I guess I will find out along with weight limitations on that barrel , thought I saw 400 gr somewhere but maybe thats because of the velocity it is getting shot at with those (tiny bullets) ! At least I have a jump on 530s cause I spent last winter makin them untill I got a stupid idea to sell the Sharps ,if the Paramount works @ 12-1350 FPS I definitly bought the right gun . Thanks for your experience guys ,if you got more just chime in . Got to get back to plowin ,9 inch went by a while ago on snow /Ed

Latest posts

Back