Monday Mule Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck McCann

Reaction score
I took my grandson Steven mule deer hunting with our muzzleloaders Monday morning. He?s 13 and this is his 2nd year hunting but his first time with a muzzleloader. I picked up a 700 ML youth model for him last winter. We got drawn in the area that I live and while there are a few decent bucks they are few and far between.

Sunday night Steven decided that if he got a chance at a doe he would take it, I guess at 13 he?s not as fussy as me. I decided to set us up in an area that I often call coyotes in and several times mule deer have responded to the distress sounds. We took the call with us to see if one would show up when I was trying to call deer. We got set up just before dawn and I called off and on with a fawn distress for about 2 hrs. No mule deer but 3 coyotes came in, they seemed to know that we weren?t interested in them and left in a leisurely fashion.

Steven was cold and tired of sitting so we packed up and walked to the blind my son John was sitting in. He told us that he had seen several does and 2 small bucks move into an area about ? mile to the west. I?ve thought about checking the area out for coyotes several time but just never got around to it so we decided to head over that way on foot. My prime purpose was to see if there where any decent spots to call coyotes latter on this winter but you never know.

The area is all bluffs and slough bottoms, the kind of spot that holds good numbers of upland game birds. As we slowly moved through the area Steven whispered grandpa there are 2 deer coming. We hunkered down in the grass and as they trotted past us at about 80 yards I lip squeaked and they stopped to look for the sound. Steven made a nice off hand shot and felt certain he had hit the bigger deer. We moved over to where they had been standing and sure enough there was a good blood trail. She went about 100 yards and we found her piled up just inside the brush. I was one proud and happy grandfather at that moment .

In typical fashion I had left my camera at home but my son saved the day with his digital. He will email me the pictures next week. This kid can sure shoot and is cool under pressure. I guess that?s because he?s been tromping after since he was 3. In the past 2 years he has fired a total of 5 shots at deer and gotten 4 deer. Last year his first deer was a nice 4x5 whitetail buck that he killed with his 6mm Rem. At 200 yards. How can you tell I?m proud of him? At any rate it was one of those special times that I?ll never forget.

Great story Chuck. You should be one proud grandfather. :yeah:

That is a wonderful account of a great day, looking forward to the pictures.

Great story & a memorable hunt for sure! :)

Thanks for sharing.

excellent story.. congratulations to your grandson and you for a good hunt.

Latest posts

Back