Moose Milk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot matches in the SE since 75, dozens of western Rendezvouses, couple Mid-America's couple Colorado State Shoots (Camp Hale many years ago) and have never seen or even heard of the "hammer drop" rule. Not condemning or agreeing with it, just curious as to how it's "fair for all shooters"? To recap or reprime the pan, muzzle is ( or needs to be) pointing "down range" anyhow just curious.
it means that you must have youe weapon in tip top shape.

Jeeze... I see lots of guys shooting flinters and having problems getting them to go off on a regular basis. Some of those guys could shoot 5 shots at a target with a total score of zero with that kind of rule !
get a weapon that doesn't have problems or fix it before you step up tp the line. jmho.

Jeeze... I see lots of guys shooting flinters and having problems getting them to go off on a regular basis. Some of those guys could shoot 5 shots at a target with a total score of zero with that kind of rule !
YUP I steer clear of the flinters 5 of 5 no shoot I prefer my odds with percussion and 209 primers, the rest is your business

So new guys get penalized then quit because of some bs macho crap instead of an experienced shooter helping em out. Good move.
I have no clue I did state the rest is your business if you know more, and are willing to help hey great spot on GIGANTIC Kudos, I stated I steer clear of flinters, Not as a dislike, I do not have the knowledge of flintlock to do any good for a frustrated flinter. Sometimes leaving someone right where they are is the best anyone can do. Are flintlocks bad pistols and rifles, I as a percussion/inline lack the knowledge to make that assessment. Therefore I can offer no help or assist in trouble shooting, to a new frustrated flinter. So I avoid adding to his/her frustration.

I have no clue I did state the rest is your business if you know more, and are willing to help hey great spot on GIGANTIC Kudos, I stated I steer clear of flinters, Not as a dislike, I do not have the knowledge of flintlock to do any good for a frustrated flinter. Sometimes leaving someone right where they are is the best anyone can do. Are flintlocks bad pistols and rifles, I as a percussion/inline lack the knowledge to make that assessment. Therefore I can offer no help or assist in trouble shooting, to a new frustrated flinter. So I avoid adding to his/her frustration.
You said it perfectly..."You Have No Clue"!
If you have no clue, then don't condemn or discourage.

Fact is, I've seen plenty of percussion's fail to fire when the hammer comes down. **** happens,,,,not a perfect world.
If your powder & pan is dry, your flash hole clean, you have a good edge on your flint, flintlocks are pretty reliable.
No doubt, very humid or wet weather can be a factor. There is the most important factor, the operator: practice, practice, and knowledge. Every era of the muzzleloader was an improvement for accuracy and reliability, all the way to the modern inline.

Fact is, I've seen plenty of percussion's fail to fire when the hammer comes down. **** happens,,,,not a perfect world.
I have to agree there!
I have a few Percussion shooters here that seem to have the worst troubles with their cappers. Knowing both, but preferring flint myself, I have taken them out multiple times; dry balls, plugged chambers...always something it seems.
But my flint just keeps sparking and when it dont I knap it or replace it and it sparks again.
....dispute trying to help them boys, they dont seem to want to go shooting anymore lately???

Mea culpa. My post

Standing Bear

Sunday at 9:04 PM
So new guys get penalized then quit because of some bs macho crap instead of an experienced shooter helping em out. Good move.

was directed at toot’s if the hammer falls .... well here it is

toot

Friday at 11:57 AM
at my club a HAMMER DROP COUNTS AS A SHOT. dropping to half cock or no ignition, no bang, the same thing. that way it is fair for all shooters.

I believe this rule would only serve to discourage new shooters from participating.

Again my error not being more clear.

Mea culpa. My post

Standing Bear

Sunday at 9:04 PM

was directed at toot’s if the hammer falls .... well here it is

toot

Friday at 11:57 AM
at my club a HAMMER DROP COUNTS AS A SHOT. dropping to half cock or no ignition, no bang, the same thing. that way it is fair for all shooters.

I believe this rule would only serve to discourage new shooters from participating.

Again my error not being more clear.
I agree, this type of crap only discourages new shooters!
BTW: Did they ever down an animal with a hammer drop? No? Then it's not a shot!!...Period.

If your powder & pan is dry, your flash hole clean, you have a good edge on your flint, flintlocks are pretty reliable.
No doubt, very humid or wet weather can be a factor. There is the most important factor, the operator: practice, practice, and knowledge. Every era of the muzzleloader was an improvement for accuracy and reliability, all the way to the modern inline.
Hell, half dozen years on the state National Guard rifle team, have seen a couple match grade M14's fail to fire and we were using white box 7.62 Match. S--t happens. We didn't send anybody home though, called for an "alibi".... In 70's saw a guy snap a couple cap that didn't fire, when we all walked over to give our opinions etc... somebody looked in his cap box and saw a number of caps had shed their foil held priming compound. S--t happens....

flintlocks can be a lot of trouble, so can caplocks. Especially when the shooter is using pyrodex. I cant tell you how many people ive helped with flintlocks because they were using pyrodex in them.

I've seen flinters have their problems with real black, they don't use anything but.... it might be the charge in the pan I don't know... I have problems from caps not going off, but eventually they do... all is good, and we all have a good time.

Now caps I have had no Issues with caps, all have gone boom, Cones or Nipples on the other hand are a different story. Bad cones caps do not bang, Make good the cones, caps are spot on again

Latest posts

Back