more strange things Ive learned,but got a doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok sitting in my stand about 4 oclock when a cow and calf show up,they have been busting through fences,and getting out form our nieghbor,they where there about a 1/2 an hour grazing and feeding then about 4;45 they started to wonder off,I had been thinking that the deer we had been seeing should be showiing up,as the pair started to leave I watched the deer come up out of the bottoms 4 of them and actually watch the cow and calf leave,as the cow stopped so did the deer,I could tell they were watching em,when they had left the deer came out into the field and I harvested a real nice doe,I think deer will share a field with cows but not At the same time or at least not in close proximity.

One farm I hunt if cow's/steer's are in the field/woods the deer avoid the area. Another farm same scenario except with horses. Guess deer have their reasons...
Congrats on the doe!

On the other hand,in a really dry summer I actually saw a doe and her fawn eating a long side of the cattle behind my house. They would go inside the barn and eat in a trough with the cattle then eat out of my bird feeder. I saw a cow lick the doe just like they do each other.
Haven't seen it again since...

Last edited:
Deer seem to have the ability to know when they're safe. I have deer in the yard several times during the week at night. I've had them in the yard during the day too and pretty much will stand there and look at you while chewing the flowers. They will move when nailed with a slingshot pellet. Or if a large firecracker goes off near them. And yes I've employed both of them.

As for deer in large open pastures I've seen them avoid IF livestock is present and I think its because livestock notice everything especially newcomers to their dining area. I've also seen deer in picked corn fields where cattle are foraging too. There's a 52 acre field adjacent to where I hunt that's generally planted in corn. When that field is picked I can sit in my stand and glass across the field and watch the comings and goings of a couple residences that have some feeder cattle and horses and there are deer in there feeding with the farm critters pretty often and in fact I have seen the people putting out feed for their animals while deer are right there for their portion. Its mostly does and fawns in that location, but if these same deer are in the picked field they are wary as heck and can see anything that comes into the picked stuff and I mean anything. If I step out in the picked field when deer are on the other side by the houses they'll boogie right on out of there and back into the residential area.

Again, deer have that quality to know when they're safe and when there is something there that should not be there. They also are super aware of livestock because the livestock is ever aware of what's going on where they are at and will stop chewing and stare at deer. In the end the cattle or horses may tolerate deer in with them in the same pasture but its their staring that the deer do not like .

My friend told he has seen cattle chase deer, espacially if they have a calf with rthem,As I get older I focus in on deer behavior and wach them,you can learn alot if you watch what they do and there body language,I rhink it helps you kill more deer.

One farm I hunt if cow's/steer's are in the field/woods the deer avoid the area. Another farm same scenario except with horses. Guess deer have their reasons...
Congrats on the doe!

On the other hand,in a really dry summer I actually saw a doe and her fawn eating a long side of the cattle behind my house. They would go inside the barn and eat in a trough with the cattle then eat out of my bird feeder. I saw a cow lick the doe just like they do each other.
Haven't seen it again since...

It’s funny how Deer have their “Do’s & Don’ts,“ As hunters we pick up on those things. There is a Buffalo Farm up the Rd from me about 6-7 Miles, To this Day i have NEVER seen a Deer in the Buffalo Fields, I have seen them ALL OVER around the Outskirts of the Buffalo Property, But NEVER in the Field with them?

Back