Morning shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It’s been tough finding weather that wasn’t too hot to shoot, but this morning had drizzle and is overcast. Once the rain stopped I did some shooting. For full disclosure I haven't really shot in almost 3 years. Medical issues, life, and no tags got in the way ☹️ But will be elk hunting in Colorado this September.

Had to do some dialing in but the last 3 shots were pretty dead center. Bigger holes in some bullets due to target not being tight against plywood

Knight Long Range hunter
90 gr BH 209
350 gr Federal BOR lock bullets
50 yards.
Open sights (peep)
6 o’clock holdAD6300A6-DF84-430A-8AAC-DA60A5CD0402.jpeg

So far they seem pretty accurate. I am shooting “seconds” but none so far had loose tips and shot well.

Firm pressure to load but not too much. No short starter needed like previous bullets (FPBs) required. Liked how they loaded. With 90 gr (volume) and remington STS primers, there was instantaneous combustion.

Biggest issue is my eyes have gotten worse! With no correction, there are 2 front sights. 😡. Had to wear 1X reading glasses.

Rest of the morning I rode my mule with my wife and her horse. Mine is a 900 lb mule, hers is a 1300 lb Fresian. 😳. But my mule walks him into the ground! Mule and me have to wait up for her periodically!

Best thing was I shot my Muzzy about 300 yards from them to get them use to guns. But when we were saddling them, 3 feral pigs came up for water and gave me time to pull out my gun (243) and dispatch one of them. Horses did well with that shot at about 30 yards. Just starting to train my mule for hunting and eventually packing. Certainly would have been great to shoot him with the muzzle but that was already packed away

Last edited:
Back