Mossberg 835 slugster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
Helping a young fella out with a new 835 slugster with 3 1/2" chamber.
Any issues with 2 3/4" hornady 300gr monoflex.
Seems to be alot of freebore to rifling.

Any confirmed slug recommendations or will the hornady be good.

New gun never fired.

Thanks

I use those same slugs in my 500A with the 3 inch chamber. They will put just about every slug in the same hole for me.
Except for a 20 gauge and maybe a 410, to my knowledge all deer slugs are 2 3/4 inch.
Another good deer slug, maybe not so well known are the Lightfield.

I'd be trying the Winchester Partition Golds in 2 3/4" in addition to the Hornady slugs. Always had great grouping with the Winnies. I shot 2 3/4" slugs from a 3" barrel and never had an issue.

deermanok, Winchester makes a variety of 3" slugs Shotshell Ammo | Winchester Ammunition I used to (20 years ago) shoot 3" Winchester Supreme saboted slugs out of a Mossberg 500 rifled gun at less than 1.5" at a 100. Unfortunately, they no longer make them but they have definitely expanded their slug line since I used to shoot them. BTW, that gun was nothing less than violent and I left the bench scopebit many times.

I also shoot the Hornady 300 out of a 500a. Its hands down the most accurate slug in my shotgun. A friend of mine has an 835 and also shoots it and has never complained about problems or accuracy. Yeah there is a bit of space in that bore before the rifling but it doesn't seem to be an issue with that bullet. A lot of people I know, myself included, have tried to duplicate that round in reloads. I havent been successful yet.

Your 300 grain Monoflex Hornady moves at 1950 feet per second at the muzzle as compared to the Partition Gold which has a 385 grain bullet going at 1785 at the muzzle. The difference in recoil I consider significant. If you are scoping this gun, consider eye relief.

I had the same gun as well as a Winchester 1200 and a Remington 870 slug gun, all with rifled barrels. I tried Federal sabots, Winchester sabots [both the supremes and golds], Remingtons sluggers and sabots, Federals sabots and all the Hornady sabot ammunition in each of these guns. Universally the Partition Gold stuff got the best tight 100 yard grouping but also had the worst recoil. I got equally radical grouping at 100 yards with both the Federal and Remington stuff so those left consideration. The Hornady performed well and had nearly as tight of groups at 100 yards as the Golds however when hunted in any kind of brush where small stems and stuff go unseen while aiming many times shots got deflected. That heavier, slightly slower beast of a bullet in the Golds simply pruned what was in the way. Where I hunt there are no established lanes that are clear of brush or limbs so sometimes things are there that just are not noticed when the trigger is pulled. I failed to notice a 5" red oak truck in front of a really nice doe while using the Golds and the bullet simply mowed the tree over before mowing the doe down, which dropped on the spot. The Golds stay straight in even some ugly brush. The Winchester Supremes would be my second choice hands down.

On the bench any of these bullets will have some butt moving recoil. As a seasoned shooter I'd suggest you get a box of each brand being considered and shoot at 25 yards only to see what kind of group they offer. Using the best two ammos for 25 yard groups I'd repeat at fifty or 100 yards using those two ammos to see which one held together best at the longer range one might find in actual hunting and then settle on that brand. Then work on scope/sight adjustment to clean things up. THEN I'd set the younger shooter down to shoot and have him wear the same clothes he might wear while actually hunting. When he's comfortable with the bench, have him shoot semi-off hand but using a vertical post for stability and then completely off hand....things change with each stance and he'll need to experience this change before hunting.

3 inch slugs are usually magnums and going have some good recoil. Although Ive always found that Brennekes seem to have the least recoil of all the magnums ive shot. But Ive never shot a deer with them. I have shot LOTS of whitetail with the Hornady.

Helping a young fella out with a new 835 slugster with 3 1/2" chamber.
Any issues with 2 3/4" hornady 300gr monoflex.
Seems to be alot of freebore to rifling.

Any confirmed slug recommendations or will the hornady be good.

New gun never fired.

Thanks
Not familiar with the Mossberg I have a Remington 870 now and have had several others in past years I usually shoot the 2 3/4 hornady slugs no problems decent accuracy 2 to 2 1/2 inches 100 yards. Three inch slugs hard to find more recoil and from what I've read and heard no one makes 3 1/2" slugs thank goodness I've shot and have 3 1/2' turkey loads for my turkey gun. Hope this helps always like hearing other ideas never know what you will learn

Light field has a 3 1/2” 1 3/8 oz slug

Thanks for all responding.

Just seems odd mossberg would put a 3 1/2 chamber in a slug barrel.
2 3/4 slug is plenty but along way from rifling

Please explain. Are you referring to a jug choke?

shotgun slugs can be brutal to shoot.

Always flip a coat or padding over your shoulder during the sighting in. It does two thinks. Softens the recoil and gives you a little more eye relief.

Your shooting experience will be much better if you follow that simple advise.

Latest posts

Back