Mossberg 835 slugster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved those BuckHammers. The Fed TruBall shot better from my smooth barrel but the BHs were stone cold killers!
I shoot slugs exclusively from my 500a. Rifled cantilever barrel and the Hornady SSTs. But I broke down and bought the Knoxx Blackhawk recoil absorbing stock. What a huge dif that made. That and a shoulder pad and I could shoot all day. I wanted another for my HD 500 but cant get one yet. That 835 has got to be brutal with 3" or longer slugs.

You guys need to try that Lyman mould, if you like to cut costs! My dad used to drill a hollow point. More of a dish, just the point of a half inch bit. Really makes that slug very lethal!!!

Not sure about that! But, I have heard that they where pretty accurate. Many heavy loads aren’t needed for slugs!?!?

Yes they are pretty accurate. I think they are a great under 100yd round and a terrifying home defense round.
His 835 apparently needs a longer shell tho. Which usually means its gonna beat on him. I bet a home rolled 3.5" loaded like a 2.75" but a longer wad would be great in that gun. Im going to look up some recipes for it.

Yes they are pretty accurate. I think they are a great under 100yd round and a terrifying home defense round.
His 835 apparently needs a longer shell tho. Which usually means its gonna beat on him. I bet a home rolled 3.5" loaded like a 2.75" but a longer wad would be great in that gun. Im going to look up some recipes for it.
In my opinion that's exactly what this gun needs. Trying to jump a sabot slug from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 chamber just won't work.
Recovered sabot and they are definitely not entering rifling well distorting sabot petals. And in my opinion sabot bullet combo not entering rifling clean makes recoil and pressure increase. I wish barrel did not have long chamber for rifled slug gun
A lighter 3 1/2 load would be the answer.

Found this on another board
The 835 can use 6 rounder 590 barrels in a one to one swap

Other 500 barrels supposedly fit but you will need more parts than just the barrel.

Last edited:
Free recoil or holding onto the forend?

I was asked to sight in a friend's new 212 last year. Went through 2 boxes of shells before I figured out that the large groups were being caused by the gun recoiling all over. Started holding the forend firmly and groups shrank from about 6" to an inch @ 100 yards.

Was shooting 2 3/4" SST in the 3" chamber of the 212.

Free recoil or holding onto the forend?

I was asked to sight in a friend's new 212 last year. Went through 2 boxes of shells before I figured out that the large groups were being caused by the gun recoiling all over. Started holding the forend firmly and groups shrank from about 6" to an inch @ 100 yards.

Was shooting 2 3/4" SST in the 3" chamber of the 212.
I agree that you definitely have to hold on to a shotgun.

Until you buy a shotgun with a swaged barrel, then you’ll notice some real accuracy. Think about it! The barrels moving in the action! The bolt Is no where near as solid as a rifle bolt. I don’t know what your state laws are on weapons used for deer. Thankfully Ohio came up with using straight walled cartridges. Between bows, crossbows muzzle loaders and straight walled cartridges. I don’t know if I’ll ever BLOW a slug hole through a deer again!

Until you buy a shotgun with a swaged barrel, then you’ll notice some real accuracy. Think about it! The barrels moving in the action! The bolt Is no where near as solid as a rifle bolt. I don’t know what your state laws are on weapons used for deer. Thankfully Ohio came up with using straight walled cartridges. Between bows, crossbows muzzle loaders and straight walled cartridges. I don’t know if I’ll ever BLOW a slug hole through a deer again!
Me too. Since the ML bug really got hold of me all i can think about is using my ML during gun season. Even when i could use a shotgun or straight wall cartridge. But I do like to take a couple HD 500's to the indoor range, load up with the mini Aguilas and make some noise!

Appreciate all the comments but here is original post.

Helping a young fella out with a new 835 slugster with 3 1/2" chamber.

This is the gun he has and just wanting a decent load for it.

Why a 835 because he wanted a slug gun and turkey combo since its his first purchase.

The concern i have is shooting 2 3/4 slugs in a 3 1/2 chamber just won't work. Sabots are wrecked which is what I figured.

Ive shot gun with every possible shooting form with miserable results.

I have 3" slugs on the way.

Very hard to find a variety of slugs right now as most know

Sorry, we got off track. I have not found many loads for 3.5". 2 loads that may not beat you up but i think you should try the Lightfield EXP Hybred 3" and see how it does. Then the Lightfield Commander 3.5". If they dont get it tightened up I could load up some shells for you. Might take a bit as I would need to get the specific hulls and slugs. Already have the powder and wads.

Back