Mossberg 835 slugster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please explain. Are you referring to a jug choke?
I dont believe so. Mossberg only states that they bore the smooth barrel for the 835 ultimag to 10ga for better patterning. But then i dont shoot smooth bores and am not entirely sure what a jug choke is.

Your right , according to their advertisement, bored to 10 gauge to improve patterns.

2 3/4 hornady 300 gr monoflex produce a 6" group at 100 yds.
Gonna have to try something different in 3"

2 3/4 hornady 300 gr monoflex produce a 6" group at 100 yds.
Gonna have to try something different in 3"

How about the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold in 3"? Great round but pricey. Or Lightfield has a couple 3" options. Their 'Hybred' is a hollow base lead 'hourglass' slug that is a solid killer. They also have the Commanders that are big recoilers. But for performance on game that Winchester is hard to beat, even by the Remington copper solid, IMO. The Rem is reportedly a more accurate round tho.

How about the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold in 3"? Great round but pricey. Or Lightfield has a couple 3" options. Their 'Hybred' is a hollow base lead 'hourglass' slug that is a solid killer. They also have the Commanders that are big recoilers. But for performance on game that Winchester is hard to beat, even by the Remington copper solid, IMO. The Rem is reportedly a more accurate round tho.
Gonna try some 3" when I find some

You haven't mentioned whether the gun is scoped or not. 2 1/2" is about the norm for sabot shotgun slug with open sights. A scope can change that dramatically.

To add to what Mr Tom said, are you shooting off a bench, good solid rest? You also said that your mentoring a young man. Is he an experienced shooter or just a beginner? I personally don't think that 3 inch slugs are going to solve the accuracy issues. I'd opt to try a few different brands in 2 3/4 inch. Find out which ones group best and go from there.
Good shooting.

In shotgun slugs, especially the sabot rounds, more isn't always better....sort of like having 150 grain capability in a muzzy and finding out that 88 grains works best. The only thing I ever got from a 3" shell was more recoil. Lots more. And three inch loads can have the same effect on an animal that the powerbelts are so notorious for....gernading on impact.

Gun is scoped with a leupold optic and quality rings.

Im personally shooting this rifle myself off of a bench with a great bag platform.

I just can't wrap my head around a 2 3/4 slug shooting well in a 3 1/2 " chamber.

Yes i would much rather shoot 2 3/4 slugs definitely not after more recoil.

I was hoping someone had this exact mossberg 835 rifled slug barrel with 3 1/2 chamber and a proven slug for it.

Thanks

Just like muzzies Jeff....every gun/barrel likes a certain bullet/sabot combo and none even in brands, gauges and models will like the same pill.

Try reloading that Lyman slug that looks like a giant pellet 525 grain if memories correct! Shots quite well in a 500 mossberg. I have a 835 but not a slugster barrel. My son has one but, I don’t believe his is all that accurate. Watch those rods on the pump! One has a small bevel on it to open the action. I rolled that angle off while duck hunting. (Soft Steel) We where able to file that angle back and harden it. Might want to try a find a Ithaca deer slayer with a swaged barrel. Luckily Ohio went to straight walled cartridges for deer hunting. So the slug gun doesn’t get turned loose very much anymore. More fun to use a smoke pole anyways!

Itacha deer slayer, haven't heard that name in a long time. That was such a popular slug gun back in the day. Had a chance to get one years ago but passed on it.
Sorry I never did buy it.

I have a Deer Slayer 2 now with the longer bbl. Wished I bought it with the shorter bbl. it would make it a better handling for where I hunt. I had one of the original deer slayers with the shorter smooth bore bbl. Man did that shoot Breinkie slugs! Like a fool I sold it to acquire a Rem 1100 slug gun. Man was that a mistake!

I have a Deer Slayer 2 now with the longer bbl. Wished I bought it with the shorter bbl. it would make it a better handling for where I hunt. I had one of the original deer slayers with the shorter smooth bore bbl. Man did that shoot Breinkie slugs! Like a fool I sold it to acquire a Rem 1100 slug gun. Man was that a mistake!
Those Brenike slugs were awesome on deer.
I used them but have changed over to the Federal Tru-Ball slugs.
Best slugs I've seen in my Mossberg 500A with the 18 1/2 inch smooth bore slug barrel.

Lots of good advice given here, so here’s my 2 cents.

Keep your new slug shooter off the bench. That’s a miserable introduction to slugs. I like to shoot them off a standing rest,
a high fence post, safari style shooting sticks or a high bar made from a 2x4. This lets the body rock back and absorb recoil. If you must shoot off a bench always have your shooter hold the forend. No matter what rest you are using holding the forend tightly when shooting slugs is a good idea. This greatly reduces the chance for scope bite.

Pick a slug with moderate velocity and sight it in for 75 yards.
This slug should group well with no flyers. 4 inch groups are plenty good enough and it’s not a rifle and never will be. Some slugs group well but the flyers drive you nuts. The high velocity rounds in my experience are prone to this. I like a full bore slug like the Lightfield but couldn‘t argue with anything Barnes.

I shoot Buckhammers but have only about 5 or 6 boxes left.
When I run out I will roll my own using slugs from here.
slugsrus.com

Slugs are no fun to shoot. Don’t let your shooter shoot too many in one session. If they are not marksman enough learn with something else!

Latest posts

Back