Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro shooters or so called ( paid shooters) represent a company for the love of hunting and the sport of shooting . We represent a company to try and help promote that company and bring others into shooting . Before I even thought about representing Knight I bought a .45 1-20 Mountaineer and a .45 1-18 .45 500 . I would never shoot any rifle that I did not like . It cost waaaaaay more money trying to represent a company than what products the actual shooter receives .This is a very honest and true statement. You can ask just about anyone . Just please do not ask my wife ! Lol . I try my hardest to bring in new shooters into our sport whether it be hunting or competition . That’s what it’s really about .I have met some really great people that have turned into very good friends . If someone is looking for a good rifle of course I will reference Knight rifles . Also give them my honest opinion and any help I can offer with loads ect . I would do this regardless of whatever brand I was shooting . This is how I operate I guess I can not speak for others .

As far as Mountaineer vs Paramont . The guns in my opinion are very comparable . The 2 most major differences are in the stocks and twist rate of the rifling . I know for a fact the Mountaineer is extremely accurate and from what I have seen the Paramont is also . I am very curious on the Paramonts 1-22 twist .When I get time I will see what the Paramont is actually capable of .

oh by the way to the OP . You can not go wrong with a 1-20 .45 Green Mountain barrel sold by Knight . I have never seen a fast twist Knight that would not shoot !

I wonder if i should hold out and see if the 40cal happens. That is what i really want but i would not mind having a spare 45 1-20 either. All the Knight 45s ive had shot very well. A ULite 45 would push me over the edge though. A light weight 45 1-20 is the one thing i dont have and would use the most.

You know i really do hate you for posting this....Im losing the fight and will probably end up ordering one. :D

Ive got everything but a Mountaineer plug. Even have an old Elite stock already cutout for the lug and a extra scope/bases that would work.

So its buggin me. :p Having another 45 fast twist for less than $400 out of pocket is super tempting.

And this would be perfect if i got that lucky. ive got a bunch of bullets that size.
FWIW....my 1-20 Mountaineer is .4505

Ive got everything but a Mountaineer plug. Even have an old Elite stock already cutout for the lug and a extra scope/bases that would work.

So its buggin me. :p Having another 45 fast twist for less than $400 out of pocket is super tempting.

And this would be perfect if i got that lucky. ive got a bunch of bullets that size.

If I was you I would of already been ordering it:)

The last one i heard of (with the bore checked) was .452 and he bought it not long ago. That was back in August. That is a bit large for the Harvester light blue unless i got some .402s or maybe .401s. Almost all my 45cal jacketed bullets are sized .451 or smaller except for a handful of .452 conicals. Both my current 45s are pretty much spot on .450 land to land. Dont really need 3 so one could find a new home....maybe?

Roll the dice or no?....Hard decision.

To hell with it.....its done.....ordered....You happy now? :D

Lehigh Mountaineer plug ordered...$24.45 shipped,.....cant beat that for a 17-4 SS plug. Save up for the Bestill plug later. Just shelled out $200 for a scope on closeout recently.

Thats over $500 you guys cost me now in the last month. :p

DO IT You'll hate yourself if you don't. ;)

That is really what it really came down to. Ive been upset with myself for passing up something i would enjoy just to pay more for it later or for it to no longer be available. Shipping was $15.99....so that aint too bad. Sure wont take a beating on it no matter how you look at it.

me too, the sting of one more rifle, even if it just becomes a safe queen, is far less than the memory of one you wish you had gotten, especially those limited run and obscure/rare ones.

I still see a future in newer 45cals but i aint taking no chances this time around. Knight is sorta listening so maybe a few bucks will help them keep it going. I would much rather have a 45cal U-Lite barrel but it is what it is.

IMO they should go another step and offer a 45 Bighorn or LittleHorn too. It would be a great lower recoil option for the kids too. It dont even really need to be a 1-20 but faster than 1-30 would make it more appealing. Something like the with Ed's 350gr Gould HP would be a wicked little deer rifle. Easy to load and cheap to shoot with Triple7.

I seen this option and started to buy it and a used 50 to be able to switch back and forth but then I found a u-lite 45 with a Brux 1/20 barrel that Jeff Fisk worked his magic on for less than I could have bought both and definitely cheaper than a new u-lite and this one is smokeless or heavy doses of BH, ready. Picked it up from ourway but think schunter had it originally made.
I know Lou said he’s getting where he can no longer hunt but have no idea how Scott, could have sold it. I’m Really happy with the weight and feel, even though I’ve used TH stocks for the last 20yrs. So, going to take a little to get used to the straight stock.

Last edited:
I spoke with Jason at Knight about the .45 Mountaineer & the 500 .45
I did this to educate myself more on them to make a solid decision on what I'm fount to buy. Ive not seen anything else that surpasses the CVA Paramount .45
He tried to tell me that the Mountaineer was comparable to the Paramount & that the 500 was far superior to both. From what I've learned so far it's the 500 that is " comparable " to the Paramount NOT the Mountaineer & that the 500 is NOT superior to the Paramount in any aspect. Plus the 500 can ONLY be purchased in their 21-2200.00 Kit. You can not just buy the gun alone. IMHO Knight eliminated itself from my purchase choices & the Paramount still reigns #1 off the rack LRML on the market today. So that's that!
Great post. Kind regards

If I was going to buy a Paramount, I think I’d buy from Luke with his LRMP system installed. Bet that will fix the leaky system! Luke’s LRMP system is great!
Also, if you use code Paramount, you can save $75. Not sure how long this special last but...

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/paramount/

Last edited:
If I was going to buy a Paramount, I think I’d buy from Luke with his LRMP system installed. Bet that will fix the leaky system! Luke’s LRMP system is great!
Also, if you use code Paramount, you can save $75. Not sure how long this special last but...

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/paramount/
Right on bud, I don't know Luke personally, but I do know that he is highly thought of, highly respected, & highly spoken of by literally everyone I've come across in the ML community. That speaks volumes to me, I see, you as well. I will deff be looking into getting some of his bullets which from all the research I've done,are the best on the market today with some of the best BC's I've ever seen in Ml ammo. & from what I've heard ( some have had issues with his LRMP modules which from what I've read & heard Luke quickly addresses any issues & provides a fix post haste. Some have has no issues whatsoever,) That could all derive from the installers, not Lukes LRMP'S being defective in reality & all fairness. I'm a fan of him & his work, & will be a happy patron of his as well. Great post, kind regards, Tom P

I hope this is the right place for this inquiry; Does anyone own or know anything about the Knight 500 ML? I can't find anything about it on YT ( except a very short vid of 1 shot at 500yards by the guys at Knight I think Jason & some other guy I don't recall his name) thats it. What makes it better than the Paramount or the Mountaineer too for that matter? Thay both easily shoot extremely well at 500 yards. I asked Jason if I could buy just the 500 alone without the rest of the package deal they have for 2100.00 & change I think? He said " no" its package deal only. Even guesstimating the cost of everything in the 500 package & subtracting that amount from the total cost, leaving the cost of the gun by itself, is still considerably more than the Paramount. Which shoots sub moa at 600 yards & delivers 1000 ft lbs ke with the 280gr. ELR Powerbelts with over 2300 fps MV according to Mike Deming at Sportsmans Warehouse in his killer YT vid It's the best Paramount vid I've found & Mike is a great guy. Thanks for any info provided. I do know I'm amongst the right group of men for my inquiry without a doubt. Kind regards all, Tom P

Pretty sure there is a Paramount topic or two already if you want to add it there.

Knight 500s 1-18 twist will offer some advantage when you start slinging really large lead or very long bullets. 1-22 wont cut it with some such as the 402 250gr Accumax. I probably wont be shooting anything long enough or far enough to need a 1-18 and in general, 1-20 is a little easier on the sabots if i choose to shoot them.

Its just way too long for a 1-22 even at light speeds.
teaserbox_901964695.png

Stability is fine though in a 1-18 or 1-20
teaserbox_901964691.png

teaserbox_901964692.png

That there is a wonderful breech plug. Works great in the Ultra-Lite. Absolutely no blow by when using W209 primer 0.302" or longer. Included vent liner erodes no where near as fast as the brazed liner in the Knight plug; it's pretty too. Haven't never cleaned the bolt.

Latest posts

Back