Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not shot a Paramont but I have shot the Knight 500 arguably more than anyone . My original Knight 500 has thousands of shots through that gun . It is one of my most accurate muzzleloaders and trust me I have a lot ! I love my 500 . I call her ol reliable . If I am struggling in the least bit I always pull that gun out . I just trust that rifle and I know what she is capable of . For some reason the Knight 500 seems very forgiving . I can shoot a wide range of bullet weights and powder charges while maintaining excellent accuracy. I assume the 1-18 twist and the full bull barrel is the reason why .I have found full bull barrels tend to be easier on loads . I feel this is because you have less barrel whip with a full bull barrel . A smaller profile barrel such as a Mountaineer or Paramont can be just as accurate but tend to be more finicky on powder charges , bullet weights and bullet fit .

. Between the Knight 500 and a Mountaineer there is not much difference in accuracy into 300 yards . Then 1-18 twist Knight 500 dominates the 1-20 Mountaineer .

I bought a Paramont just to see how the accuracy compares to the Knights. I am assuming the accuracy between the Paramont vs Mountaineer will be mute . I bet there will not be a noticeable difference . I just can not see how the 1-22 twist Paramont will hang with the 1-18 twist Knight 500 past 300 yards . But... the Paramonts recommended load is 140 to 150 grains of Blackhorn by volume where as the Knight 500 is 120 grains by volume . Maybe more powder will help make up the difference in twist rates ? I really do not know . Time will tell . I have been working a lot and when I am not working I have been hunting. Doing a fair comparison is on my to do list .I will say this . I bought the Paramont from Arrowhead shooting sports with the ignition system already upgraded . My Knights have upgraded ignition systems done by Bestill Creations . I want both rifles to seal which I am sure they will .

Paramount. Which shoots sub moa at 600 yards & delivers 1000 ft lbs ke with the 280gr. ELR Powerbelts with over 2300 fps MV according to Mike Deming at Sportsmans Warehouse in his killer YT vid It's the best Paramount vid I've found & Mike is a great guy. Thanks for any info provided. I do know I'm amongst the right group of men for my inquiry without a doubt. Kind regards all, Tom P[/QUOTE]

Where can I find this video ? Shooting sub MOA at 600 yards is not a easy task with Black Powder Subs such as Blackhorn 209 . Not at all saying it is not possible but with a .45 shooting 2300 FPS with a bullet that has a real BC of I’m guessing around .35 would be tuff !Conditions would have to be perfect .

Hope Lew dont mind. Knight has it on their Youtube page

Mountaineer 45 1-20 with a 400gr paper patch. 8" gong at 600 yards

No problem GM54, That was a lot of fun to do that Day. That 1:20 Twist Mountaineer was REALLY Accurate, it would put those 400 Grain PP Bullets inside eachother at 100 yards, it shot several of my Grease Grooves just as well, i did some Fun stuff with that Rifle! I have NOTHING but good to Say about Knight Rifles! I have, and will continue to HIGHLY Recommend them to Folks Looking for a HIGH END Production Inline Muzzleloader

kKGcFlc.jpg

I really did not need this barrel but im a sucker for 45 fast twists and $350ish shipped is a fair price for a GMB barrel ready to drop in parts i already have on hand. Really wish Boyds had more choices for DISCs. The At-One stock looks cool if i want to go more range fun oriented. The Pro Varmint is basically the Knight 500 stock minus the upgrades.

This might be sort of cool for a fun gun rig. Its around 3lbs for a Savage or Rem inlet.
IMG_3498.jpg

I seen this option and started to buy it and a used 50 to be able to switch back and forth but then I found a u-lite 45 with a Brux 1/20 barrel that Jeff Fisk worked his magic on for less than I could have bought both and definitely cheaper than a new u-lite and this one is smokeless or heavy doses of BH, ready. Picked it up from ourway but think schunter had it originally made.
I know Lou said he’s getting where he can no longer hunt but have no idea how Scott, could have sold it. I’m Really happy with the weight and feel, even though I’ve used TH stocks for the last 20yrs. So, going to take a little to get used to the straight stock.

Yeah I probably should have never sold that one.

Talked to Justin the other day and he hinted that they might sell the Ulite 45 barrel kits in the future. Selling the Mountaineer barrels kits was sort of a "testing the market" kinda deal.

Pretty sure there is a Paramount topic or two already if you want to add it there.

Knight 500s 1-18 twist will offer some advantage when you start slinging really large lead or very long bullets. 1-22 wont cut it with some such as the 402 250gr Accumax. I probably wont be shooting anything long enough or far enough to need a 1-18 and in general, 1-20 is a little easier on the sabots if i choose to shoot them.

Its just way too long for a 1-22 even at light speeds.
teaserbox_901964695.png

Stability is fine though in a 1-18 or 1-20
teaserbox_901964691.png

teaserbox_901964692.png
Thank you very much for this info. I have a better understanding now, at least regarding what barrel twist rate & what rounds will be more practical & accurate for my intended purposes. Along with the variables & parameters of bullet weight & length to have the best BC's for that rifle & what its being used for. I'm so glad I found this group. It's a great place with a great group of guys with accurate, reliable info & experience. And with the mindset that no matter how long I've been shooting, no matter what I've learned along the way, The more I learn, I find theres still so much to learn that I do not know. So I'm a happy, willing, grateful old sponge. Kind regards, Tom P

Ive got a custom Savage 45cal 1-22 and it will shoot much much faster than a Paramount. Some bullets i simply can not shoot according to the calculators. Im not even gunna try when they are $2 a pop. It will handle a huge variety of bullets very well though. Ive shot upto a 488gr conical no problem at all. I can shoot many 300gr bullets sabotless no problem at all. Things get a bit more tricky when you include sabots. A sabot can only handle so much before you run into issues. Guys trying to shoot the CEB 240gr copper bullets fast ran into this problem. A faster twist lets you shoot them a bit slower but spin them fast enough to stabilize them.

There is more than 1 way to deliver X amount of energy at extended ranges. Big lead and a higher BC bullet will catch up as the range increases.

Pretty sure there is a Paramount topic or two already if you want to add it there.

Knight 500s 1-18 twist will offer some advantage when you start slinging really large lead or very long bullets. 1-22 wont cut it with some such as the 402 250gr Accumax. I probably wont be shooting anything long enough or far enough to need a 1-18 and in general, 1-20 is a little easier on the sabots if i choose to shoot them.

Its just way too long for a 1-22 even at light speeds.
teaserbox_901964695.png

Stability is fine though in a 1-18 or 1-20
teaserbox_901964691.png

teaserbox_901964692.png
Yes sir there is a " Paramount post " already in MML. I am/have been, active in that thread & have learned quite a bit there. I posted my inquiry here bc of the Knight Mountaineer topic & my questions were primarily regarding a Knight rifle, just a different model. I have not been able to find anything anywhere about the K500 not even on YT. I was fairly certain I'm among the right company to ask. So, sorry if my post is in the wrong thread. I have not seen a " Knight 500 " thread on MML nor do I know of anyone that owns one or is " promoting or reviewing " one either. I must admit though, in hindsight, it never occurred to me to start/open a new thread for that topic & see where that goes. Thank you again for everything. Kind regards, Tom P

Ive got a custom Savage 45cal 1-22 and it will shoot much much faster than a Paramount. Some bullets i simply can not shoot according to the calculators. Im not even gunna try when they are $2 a pop. It will handle a huge variety of bullets very well though. Ive shot upto a 488gr conical no problem at all. I can shoot many 300gr bullets sabotless no problem at all. Things get a bit more tricky when you include sabots. A sabot can only handle so much before you run into issues. Guys trying to shoot the CEB 240gr copper bullets fast ran into this problem. A faster twist lets you shoot them a bit slower but spin them fast enough to stabilize them.

There is more than 1 way to deliver X amount of energy at extended ranges. Big lead and a higher BC bullet will catch up as the range increases.
Great post. Thank you.

These 3 (300-350gr) Aeromax bullets run from 1.460" to 1.570" in length and from .380 BC to .440 BC roughly. Not much chance a twist slower than 1-20 is gunna do very well. Even a 1-20 smoker might struggle a little. Stuff like this is when a 1-18 will show a big advantage. I think one of the long range shooters was shooting them in a custom built with a 1-18 but its just not something i really need. A 1-20 shoots virtually anything i want to shoot that my 1-22 will not.
cache_898595964.JPG

teaserbox_898717314.jpg

Completely agree . Very hard to make up twist rate with speed . Just trying not to step on anyone’s toes .

Man i hate this because it says arriving today and aint no way if it left Nashville at 6:30am by UPS ground. Order says tomorrow but UPS tracking says today.

In Transit 10/31/2019 6:31 A.M. Nashville, TN, United States Departure Scan
Scheduled Delivery
Thursday 10/31/2019
Estimated Time
by End of Day

Plus its signature required

This is torture you know. Cant miss the UPS guy.

EDIT:
Arrived at the main hub just now
In Transit 10/31/2019 12:01 P.M. Earth City, MO, United States Arrival Scan

Thats a little over 20miles away north of me. Never seen them ship to the address from the hub this time of day ever.

Man i hate this because it says arriving today and aint no way if it left Nashville at 6:30am by UPS ground. Order says tomorrow but UPS tracking says today.

In Transit 10/31/2019 6:31 A.M. Nashville, TN, United States Departure Scan
Scheduled Delivery
Thursday 10/31/2019
Estimated Time
by End of Day

Plus its signature required

This is torture you know. Cant miss the UPS guy.

Waiting for a package.jpg

Only thing that helps at all is i got a IP cam aimed out the front. I can watch it from my PC or smart TV. :p

Yeah its that bad. I got several windows open on the PC. 2 just to track that darn barrel :D

Back