Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I use one just like that in warm weather, not so much with winter clothes.

I got 2 orders from Amazon and this barrel "out for delivery" and its driving me nuts. Amazon is actually one but it must have shipped from different locations. I plastered a huge honking paper on the screen door telling him im home. Left the inside door open. UPS are the only ones that deliver later here. USPS and FedEx are always here by 3pm at the latest.
:wall::cool::mad:

Houston we have a go. My old stock rebranded Traditions .4505 Parker BEs load on a clean bore.
h4kHh4D.jpg

yepSKrk.jpg

zO2vNP7.jpg

Just under #200 serial if anyone is wondering. The old stock .4505 BEs get just a slight engraving. Should be about perfect with fouling. Breach plug in the pic is a Lehigh. The kit does not include a plug.

I will be lucky if i can get it all together by then. I need 1 stinking base screw for my 1 piece rail mount unless i take the ones off another rifle. I didnt go shopping yesterday or today and need some stuff. I got 2 hot sauce ferments that were waiting on the pH meter from Amazon AND the frost lastnite killed the rest of my pepper plants. I dont think i got any gun shops close that would have just the screw. On 2nd thought i could take them off the SavagePacnor. There is no chance i will use it this year for hunting.

Maybe next week at the 25 yard indoor range just to test things. The public range is a zoo this time of year. Its $17 at the indoor place for as long as i want on Thursday iirc.

Just under #200 serial if anyone is wondering. The old stock .4505 BEs get just a slight engraving. Should be about perfect with fouling. Breach plug in the pic is a Lehigh. The kit does not include a plug.

Congrats on it :lewis: My Serial # was in the High 170s

Ran into a snag. Tried 2 bolts both with the Lehigh NFPJ adapters. Neither bolt will close all the way with the adapter in it. They will close without the adapter in it. Almost but not quite. One is an Elite bolt and the other came from my 54-120.

Anyone have a OAL for the Lehigh Mountaineer plug? The primer pocket on mine sure looks deep.

Ran into a snag. Tried 2 bolts both with the Lehigh NFPJ adapters. Neither bolt will close all the way with the adapter in it. They will close without the adapter in it. Almost but not quite. One is an Elite bolt and the other came from my 54-120.

Anyone have a OAL for the Lehigh Mountaineer plug? The primer pocket on mine sure looks deep.

Lehigh-17-4-Mountaineer-Plug.jpg

Try this for me, Install the bolt without the primer adapter, will the bolt close?

Primer pocket... try a couple of things. with the BP out install a primer. Push the primer in as far has you can with your thumb/fingers. Now turn the BP upside down does the primer fall back out?

Yep, it closes without the primer adapter and functions. Trigger works but i have not tried a primer yet. I think the nose of the breach plug is hitting the inner shoulder of the NFPJ adapter.

The Elite bolt with adapter comes close to closing. The GMB bolt is a tiny bit worse.

I have not tried really cranking down on the breach plug yet. I dont like putting them in that tight.

Yep, it closes without the primer adapter and functions. Trigger works but i have not tried a primer yet. I think the nose of the breach plug is hitting the inner shoulder of the NFPJ adapter.

The Elite bolt with adapter comes close to closing. The GMB bolt is a tiny bit worse.

I have not tried really cranking down on the breach plug yet. I dont like putting them in that tight.

Do not 'tighten' it down - I really doubt it would cure the problem. Just run it up snug!

I noticed something odd on Knights site. The pricing dont add up.

Mountaineer bare primer conversion $130.99
Ultra Lite bare primer conversion $130.99
Extreme bare primer conversion $99.99
BUT the price difference on just the breach plugs is about $4?

So what is the difference if both bolt bodies are the same? Knurled bolt knob?

No problem GM54, That was a lot of fun to do that Day. That 1:20 Twist Mountaineer was REALLY Accurate, it would put those 400 Grain PP Bullets inside eachother at 100 yards, it shot several of my Grease Grooves just as well, i did some Fun stuff with that Rifle! I have NOTHING but good to Say about Knight Rifles! I have, and will continue to HIGHLY Recommend them to Folks Looking for a HIGH END Production Inline Muzzleloader

kKGcFlc.jpg
Whats not to like about that huh. Nice shooting.

Another FYI

All Knight Mountaineers in 52cal are on sale for $599
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/the-knight-mountaineer-muzzleloader/

Get the 45 1-20 barrel kit at the same time and you got all the parts including a real Timney trigger to swap back and forth. Swapping parts around is literally a few minute job with 2 tools. One allen for the stock/trigger bolts and one for the plug.

G M, I had to take .002 off the face of the primer adapter for the bolt to close properly.

I got a fix on the way and its something i wanted to try anyway. My estimate is im maybe 20 thousandths too tight at the most. My 54-120 bolt is noticeably tighter than the Elite bolt.

No real hurry on it. I got 3 rifles ready i can use for hunting. This is more of a fun gun to replace the Savage i hardly shoot. Still quite a bit lighter so if i want to hunt with it sometime its way better than a 12lb+ rifle. Heavy enough in the Elite stock that it dont beat me up too bad on the bench.

By "off the face" do you meen the plug side of the adapter or the bolt side? I dont think the bolt side is hitting my plugs nut. I think the nose of the plug (where the primer goes in) is hitting the inner shelf of the adapter. I need to ink it with a Sharpee pen to be sure.

Back